There are 224 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

What's your price, what would you pay....

To win a Super Bowl????

There's a lot of differing opinions going into the draft this year about what we should do.

IMHO I think the Niners are easily 2-3 impact players away from rolling through their schedule and getting to the Super Bowl.

I'm sure that's because I have a biased opinion, but the way I see it, Kap (knock on wood) is the only player on the team that if we lost, could change that.

Every other position has good quality depth and yes we need O-line depth and LB/CB/S needs, but if those are addressed with this draft, then the overall roster is stout and unless we lose multiple players at one position, we should be fine.

I get that it's a deep draft, but we need QUALITY players that can make an IMPACT now, this year, while Crabtree and Iupati are still on the roster.

I cant STAND making this comparison, but, do you the that punk a$$ team up north that gave an a$$load for a WR that literally made them about 5 plays in 2-3 games that contributed to them winning a SB was worth it?

We have depth, we have a ton of picks, not saying we need to waste them, just saying we should target IMPACT players that can step in and make a difference right now and if we have to give up a little bit to do that, then cool.
[ Edited by CWin4949 on May 1, 2014 at 7:00 AM ]
Yes I agree, with all the picks we should target some impact players. At the same time we have some needs and we do have to be smart with any trades we do.

Also, we can have the most stacked roster in the league, but ultimately we need Kap to turn it up another notch. He has to be more clutch in the very biggest games. Hasn't gotten it done these last few years. You can argue the defense was horrible in the Superbowl, but our offense wasn't any good in the first half. You can also argue our offensive line didn't play very well vs Seattle in the NFC championship game. These are valid points, but still I expect Kap to elevate his game and get the job done. Need him to be great in the biggest stages, not just ok or good. This means he needs to be great all around, as a runner and a passer.
It takes more than the want to trade up. You have to have a willing trade partner, and not get fleeced in the process. I am sure Baalke will not get fleeced, as he always seems to get the better end of a trade or transaction. I think Oaktown is a prime target for a trade, but is will cost us to move up that high. And then you'd be putting all your stock into one pick, and if that one busts it could make the AJJ fiasco look tame by comparison.

My sense is to stand pat, draft in numbers or deal later on to minimize the cost. The more bodies in camp, but better odds to find some that will stick, and contribute. Remember, Bowman was a 3rd rounder ... you can get all pros outside of the top 10, or first round even.
Originally posted by Bluesbro:
It takes more than the want to trade up. You have to have a willing trade partner, and not get fleeced in the process. I am sure Baalke will not get fleeced, as he always seems to get the better end of a trade or transaction. I think Oaktown is a prime target for a trade, but is will cost us to move up that high. And then you'd be putting all your stock into one pick, and if that one busts it could make the AJJ fiasco look tame by comparison.

My sense is to stand pat, draft in numbers or deal later on to minimize the cost. The more bodies in camp, but better odds to find some that will stick, and contribute. Remember, Bowman was a 3rd rounder ... you can get all pros outside of the top 10, or first round even.

All valid points.

It would be nice to fall somewhere in the middle and end up getting two impact players that can add a lot right now and still manage to pick up quality depth guys that can help on STs immediately.
I think we end up trading up in the 15-20 range to target a CB, although if Beckham or Cooks were there it would be tempting to try and hit on a speed WR. I think we go after Gilbert, Fuller, Denard, Beckham and Cooks in that order.
[ Edited by theninermaniac on May 1, 2014 at 4:44 PM ]
Originally posted by theninermaniac:
I think we end up trading up in the 15-20 range to target a CB, although if Beckham or Cooks were there it would be tempting to try and hit on a speed WR. I think we go after Gilbert, Fuller, Denard, Beckham and Cooks in that order.

I think I'm leaning toward Verrett and then going after Gaines instead of giving up much to get Gilbert.

We need to land Cooks and Verrett some how some way.
I'm always ALL IN for a SB!! Whatever it takes, the ay the Draft and new CBA is set up, it on't take years & years to rebuild anymore, If the 49ers went ALL IN in FA and the Draft and the following year would have to dump due to Salary cap, Ii would just take a decent draft or two the following year or 2 to get right back in the swing of things, especially if Cornerstones like Kap & Aldon stick around.
I'm all in let's get this Super Bowl!
Im not for trading up!, I'd rather stay put and use EVERY DRADFT PICK TO STOCKPILE OUR TEAM NEEDS.!! We can get an impact WR or CB at 30, because there's a lot of choices in this deep draft. 6 picks in top 3 rounds??, Go WR, CB, C/G, SS, ILB, TE/HB .......
Originally posted by Bluesbro:

Good post. If Kap goes to the next level all problems will be solved. In the NFC Championship game he put the team on his back, but made a few mistakes.
How Bout We use #30,#56,#77 and #100, But trade #94 for a 2015 2nd rounder? You know someone is gonna wanna move up.
[ Edited by ElephantHaley on May 1, 2014 at 6:34 PM ]
  • LVJay
  • Veteran
I hope we get the CB, WR, OLB and a legit, back-up safety that we need. HOWEVER, we we're more like two or three good offensive plays away from winning the previous NFCC games and SB so, more than likely, we'll need a little more than just "2-3 impact players" .... we need to draft well and make changes with the play-calling. Have we even learned how to properly call a time out (know when to call one)... what about clock management
Originally posted by CWin4949:
Originally posted by theninermaniac:

I think I'm leaning toward Verrett and then going after Gaines instead of giving up much to get Gilbert.

We need to land Cooks and Verrett some how some way.
I really wanted Verrett on this team but i have come to realize Baalke is not going to pick him cause of his height who cares if he can play who cares if he can help this team out at a position we need to fill hes short that's all he sees.
Agree for the most part, but to me, it's not so much who we get. This team can win as is, they just need to play smarter and execute better when it matters. Would have liked Desean though.
[ Edited by T-9ers on May 1, 2014 at 10:02 PM ]
Originally posted by LVJay:
I hope we get the CB, WR, OLB and a legit, back-up safety that we need. HOWEVER, we we're more like two or three good offensive plays away from winning the previous NFCC games and SB so, more than likely, we'll need a little more than just "2-3 impact players" .... we need to draft well and make changes with the play-calling. Have we even learned how to properly call a time out (know when to call one)... what about clock management

All good points.

Play calling definitely needs improvement and clock management has been a problem, but at critical times in games, its been play exacution and decision making from our QB which was the direct cause of ending our season.

With the future unclear with Aldon Smith and the reality that Crabtree & Iupati are both more than likely not going to be in SF next year, along with the possibility that Boldin, Gore and Justin Smith will have less of an impact for the team after this year due to Father Time, it really feels like this season is our last chance to get the job done with this group of players.

Like its been mentioned already, you can have a HOFer at every single position and that doesnt mean they will win the Superbowl, but hopefully something will change in the coaching mindset a little to get over the hump this year.

I dont think theres been a team that has overcome so many mistakes, bad calls, bad breaks at crucial times in big game and turnovers all together in the same game AND STILL had a chance to win each of those games. We seem to be the only thing that can beat ourselves at times and even with those odds, we're talking about 3 single plays that ended up costing a Superbowl and two more Superbowl appearences (which in my biased oppinion we would have won).

Woulda, coulda, shoulda...... , doesnt mean ISH until you get the job DONE.

I think this is the year we have to go for broke to land the difference makers that will get us over the hump and being loaded with draft picks, we need to give up a little bit to land at least 2-3 of the top guys.

Great thing though, this time next week, we'll all know!!!