There are 125 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

Only seven shopping days left mock draft

1. Ra'Shede Hageman DT Minnesota 6-6 310 5.02

Hard to believe that a D-lineman with Hageman's potential could realistically be the on the board at this point, however based on the many mocks and draft boards out there, it is plausible that he will be. Has an excellent combination of length, power, and athleticism to dominate against the run and collapse the pocket or get penetration against the pass. Due to his height and reach looks to be a weapon blocking field goals when he's not batting down passes. Will line up as a DE in a 3 man front and would man either DT spot in passing situations.

2. Jordan Matthews WR Vanderbilt 6-3 212 4.46

Trade 56 and 129 to move up 8-10 spots

Tall and highly productive receiver with enough athleticism and toughness to make plays inside or outside the numbers on short or long patterns. Can "go up and get it" plucking the ball out of the air due to his length and hands, because of these attributes Matthews projects to be a legitimate red zone threat as a pro. Widely viewed as a polished route runner, could step in and start right away if needed, can line up in the slot or on the outside.

2. Phillip Gaines CB Rice 6-0 193 4.38

Talented enough to become a #1 corner. Possesses good size, agility, speed, and quick feet, all of which are readily apparent in games and by his performance at the combine. The knock on Gaines is that he needs to be more physical against the run which imo is more than offset by his ability to cover. Could start right away if needed but initially looks to be third corner at the beginning of the season.

2. Marcus Smith OLB Louisville 6-3 251 4.68

Trade 77 and 94 to move up about 20-25 spots

Athletic high effort defender, who can rush the passer, drop back into coverage, and defend the run. Against the run, Smith maintains good awareness of the ball carrier while using his 34 inch arms to keep the D-Lineman off him to make the play. When rushing the passer uses his quickness and agility to harass the QB. Has the burst and closing speed needed to run the looping stunt that the Smiths have been effective at.

3. Dion Bailey S USC 6-0 200 4.66

Versatile, will begin his career backing up both safety spots. Savvy player with a nose for the ball who gets in on lot of tackles and had 9 interceptions the last 2 years. Very good at diagnosing the play and reading the QB's eyes. High effort competitive player who likes to hit and will contribute right away on special teams. Eventual starter, but needed now because Reid has had 2 concussions and Dahl is brutal in coverage.

5. John Brown WR Pittsburgh State 5-10 179 4.34

Small school scoring machine who had 45 touchdowns in 34 starts. Speedy deep threat who last year hauled in 61 passes totaling 1,198 yards for a 19.6 avg. with 14 tds. Had 23 punts totaling 264 yards for an 11.5 avg. Returned 23 Kickoffs averaging 32.4 yds. Over three years finished with 185 catches for 3,380 yards and 32 touchdowns. Although Brown compiled his stats at the Div II level, he is a viable prospect who could become a dangerous return man as well as a deep threat due to his combination of speed, acceleration, and agility.

7. Brett Smith QB Wyoming 6-1 3/4 206 4.51

Lacks prototypical size and arm strength, but possesses very good quickness. Smith can throw running to his right or left equally well. Has excellent accuracy in the short to intermediate middle of the field hitting the receiver in stride. Uses his legs to extend plays while scanning downfield for the open target, can also get yards on the ground if nothing is open. Although Smith is a shade under 6-2, his combination of intangibles and resourcefulness in the pocket make him worth a shot in the 7th round if there.

7. Gator Hoskins TE/FB Marshall 6-1 253 4.73

Productive player, who last year caught 50 receptions for 821 yards and 15 tds. At Marshall lined up as a WR and as an inline TE, has experience blocking but is definitely a work in progress. Could be our 3rd TE, Back-up FB, and play special teams.

7. Brandon Thomas G Clemson 6-3 317 5.06

What Niners mock would be complete without a redshirt injury special. Mostly played left tackle but also saw action at guard. Has 34 3/4 inch arms but lacks ideal height for an NFL left tackle, looks to move to the inside in the pros.
[ Edited by Needle on May 1, 2014 at 8:04 PM ]
I will drive down to Santa Clara and punch Baalke in the face if he takes a DT in Round 1.
I'm not sure how much we need a DT in the first round, but I could live with it as long as rounds 2 though 7 play out like you put. I think Matthews is the perfect receiver to play in the 49ers smash mouth system, because as Crabtree and Boldin have shown WR's don't have to have blazing speed to be productive for the 49ers. Brown maybe the late round sleeper that not many people are talking about. He will be able to at least take the top off the defense. The more and more I think about it I would like to get 2 corners in rounds 2 - 4 with very high ceilings and let our secondary coaches get that potential out of them.

Overall a very solid mock that I could live with.

Go Niners!!!!!!
Hageman would be a DE in our system, calm your tits.

I like this draft!
lol at xmas referenced mock. good mock needle in a hay stack. minus rnd 5 and 7. try to implement a center at those two spots preferably at 5. Isn't Stork available at that spot?
It's good. I don't love going DL with the first pick, but if the rest of those picks follow?
You didn't take Bruce Ellington, so I hate this draft, and you with it.

I Like Marcus smith, but I think we could get him at 77, and still have 94 for Bruuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuce.
Originally posted by JimHarbaugh:
Hageman would be a DE in our system, calm your tits.

I like this draft!

While I agree he would be a DE, and a nice one at that... I think our DE depth is being underrated by those outside the niners facility. That along with the Tomsula's track record of getting the most out of any draft pick makes me think the niners are happy to wait on either DE/DT to use the shotgun approach in the later rounds and keep whoever stands out in TC. I gotta believe the only way we go DL early is if someone falls to us in the second or third.

Aside from the first pick I love this mock doe!
I wouldn't use other mocks to gauge where players might go...I've seen a ton who have Hageman going mid-rd. I'd be very surprised if he was still on the board at #30. To get him or Tuitt (my choice) Baalke would arguably need to trade up.

I compared Gaines' numbers to Breeland, Dontae Johnson, Joyner and Watkins...and they all top him. I get Gaines' speed and all, but the fact is he's weak against the run...that's not a good thing in the NFC West. Given Baalke likes Breeland, I'd think he'd be more apt to take him or someone like him who has a better all-around game. I also didn't see another CB in your mock...or an ILB.

How did we get 3 2nd rd picks? We have 2...and 3 3rd rounders. Where is the 4th rd pick? You didn't mention any trades...

The kid from Pittsburgh St..never heard of him. Why not Ellington or Herron who played in division I?

I like the rest of your picks.
Pretty solid mock
Originally posted by CorvaNinerFan:
I wouldn't use other mocks to gauge where players might go...I've seen a ton who have Hageman going mid-rd. I'd be very surprised if he was still on the board at #30. To get him or Tuitt (my choice) Baalke would arguably need to trade up.

I compared Gaines' numbers to Breeland, Dontae Johnson, Joyner and Watkins...and they all top him. I get Gaines' speed and all, but the fact is he's weak against the run...that's not a good thing in the NFC West. Given Baalke likes Breeland, I'd think he'd be more apt to take him or someone like him who has a better all-around game. I also didn't see another CB in your mock...or an ILB.

How did we get 3 2nd rd picks? We have 2...and 3 3rd rounders. Where is the 4th rd pick? You didn't mention any trades...

The kid from Pittsburgh St..never heard of him. Why not Ellington or Herron who played in division I?

I like the rest of your picks.

I agree with a lot of what you said, but he did state what all of the trades were.
Would be a very good draft. I'd rather have Tuitt over Hageman, but both can be beasts in the league. I think people undervalue the importance of Justin Smith to our defense. We all saw what happened a couple years ago when he was dealing with an injury. He's a big piece of what makes this defense go. Drafting a guy with potential to be near the level of a Justin Smith or JJ Watt would be perfect for the future of this defense. A disruptive force at the end position is much more important to this defense than a top corner. We've gotten by and have had top 10 secondary play without having any spectacular corners. Not saying we don't need a corner.
Hate This Draft
Originally posted by NickSh49:
I will drive down to Santa Clara and punch Baalke in the face if he takes a DT in Round 1.

For all concerned I hope he selects the player you want .
Originally posted by WRATHman44:
You didn't take Bruce Ellington, so I hate this draft, and you with it.

I Like Marcus smith, but I think we could get him at 77, and still have 94 for Bruuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuce.

Speaking of Bruce Ellington i've seen 2 mocks today where he goes in the 1st round. Talk about picking up steam closer to draft day.