LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 268 users in the forums

Report: 49ers could eye Ravens' pick at No. 17

Forget cooks in the 1st. Bruce Ellington in the 2nd or 3rd FTW!
Originally posted by midrdan:
It all depends if Beckham is their guy. If he is then it doesn't matter if there are other good prospects ... they have the chips to move up to get their guy.

We can probably do this trade for our 1st, a 3rd, and a 6th.

We don't have a 6th anymore.
The point is that smaller WRs are hurt more often than bigger WRs, and that there is a reason small WRs are not often taken in the first round and when they are they usually don't live up to their draft position.

Moss was the most durable small WR taken so his college injury history didn't seem to reflect his pro experience all that closely.

Cobb was not a first round pick and has missed 12 games in 3 years.
Hilton was not a first round pick.
Austin got hurt in 100% of his years in the league.

Smaller WRs are hurt more often, so taking a player in the first round who is more likely to get hurt is not a good bet. It may work out, but most of the time it doesn't.

I wasn't arguing that Cooks was a bad player, nor that he would not help the 49ers offense. Merely that small WRs are usually not first round picks for good reason ... they get hurt a lot.
Originally posted by Scoots:
The point is that smaller WRs are hurt more often than bigger WRs, and that there is a reason small WRs are not often taken in the first round and when they are they usually don't live up to their draft position.

Moss was the most durable small WR taken so his college injury history didn't seem to reflect his pro experience all that closely.

Cobb was not a first round pick and has missed 12 games in 3 years.
Hilton was not a first round pick.
Austin got hurt in 100% of his years in the league.

Smaller WRs are hurt more often, so taking a player in the first round who is more likely to get hurt is not a good bet. It may work out, but most of the time it doesn't.

I wasn't arguing that Cooks was a bad player, nor that he would not help the 49ers offense. Merely that small WRs are usually not first round picks for good reason ... they get hurt a lot.

Since we are speaking in terms of height, I am assuming that when you say smaller WR you mean shorter.
In that case, I would argue that taller WR actually have more of a chance to get hurt than a shorter WR. Lastly, fear of getting injured should be the LAST reason why we don't draft somebody. You can't calculate if somebody is going to get injured (unless there is a steady history).

At this point in our discussion, I'm throwing out that whole not a 1st round pick idea because you are limiting the playing field to an impossible margin to fit your argument. (Only 32 choices per year between 24 different positions only including those under or at 5'10, you could make this argument work for any assumption with those odds)

1. Cobb wasn't injured because of his size, in fact the person who injured him is 5'9 (Matt Elam)
Watch the tape on this one, unlucky hit that would have injured anybody

2. C'mon man Austin was injured due to somebody grabbing his ankle... Not because of his size... Again I am struggling to find any WR who is small that has gotten injured because they are small (aka getting injured in some compact form like a buckle fracture, or concussion)

Here is one for you (so you can see your side to the argument as well)
Find me a WR, drafted in the 1st round, who is under 5'10 that has gotten injured because of their SIZE.
Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:
They were also dealing with Jerruh and the Cowboys. This year they'll likely be dealing with people that aren't completely insane.

Yeah but I think they'd rather stay pat in a deep draft than give up a 2nd to move up.
  • mayo49
  • Veteran
I'm worried Pittsburg takes Beckham at #15. That would screw everything up.
Originally posted by mayo49:
I'm worried Pittsburg takes Beckham at #15. That would screw everything up.

That's what I was said earlier. Will go for Cooks if that happens? Can't rule out getting a CB in the first either…I'm kind of surprised if Baalke's pick is leaked and all over the news since the Niners mostly operate secretively.
Originally posted by Quest4six:
Since we are speaking in terms of height, I am assuming that when you say smaller WR you mean shorter.
In that case, I would argue that taller WR actually have more of a chance to get hurt than a shorter WR. Lastly, fear of getting injured should be the LAST reason why we don't draft somebody. You can't calculate if somebody is going to get injured (unless there is a steady history).

At this point in our discussion, I'm throwing out that whole not a 1st round pick idea because you are limiting the playing field to an impossible margin to fit your argument. (Only 32 choices per year between 24 different positions only including those under or at 5'10, you could make this argument work for any assumption with those odds)

1. Cobb wasn't injured because of his size, in fact the person who injured him is 5'9 (Matt Elam)
Watch the tape on this one, unlucky hit that would have injured anybody

2. C'mon man Austin was injured due to somebody grabbing his ankle... Not because of his size... Again I am struggling to find any WR who is small that has gotten injured because they are small (aka getting injured in some compact form like a buckle fracture, or concussion)

Here is one for you (so you can see your side to the argument as well)
Find me a WR, drafted in the 1st round, who is under 5'10 that has gotten injured because of their SIZE.

I thought Desean Jackson was going to be too small to hold up. After being dead worn on him I thought that I would never make that mistake again. Smaller wr's can hold up just like everybody else.
[ Edited by lamontb on Apr 30, 2014 at 2:51 PM ]
  • Hopper
  • Veteran
Give me Dennard or Fuller at 17.

Wr is the deepest position in the draft, no need to trade up for one.
Originally posted by Hysterikal:
That's what I was predicting in my last mock. Team is starving for talent and we tend to get good fair deals from them. 1 and KCs 2 should do the trick

Giving up too much. Last year , we also moved up about the same number of slots but only gave up a 3rd.
[ Edited by kronik on Apr 30, 2014 at 3:10 PM ]

Originally posted by Hopper:
Give me Dennard or Fuller at 17.

Wr is the deepest position in the draft, no need to trade up for one.

CB is just as deep this year and not as much of a dropoff between the top guys and second tier guys.
they should trade all picks to the texans and take clowney
  • Hopper
  • Veteran
Originally posted by btthepunk:
CB is just as deep this year and not as much of a dropoff between the top guys and second tier guys.

As this Wr class? disagree

Tier 2 CB's - SJB, McGill, Watkins, Roberson and Gaines. I don't think these guys are even close to the top 4 CB's in terms of talent.
Do we think that Odell Beckham Jr. is an absolute better bet than Cooks?
Originally posted by English:
Unless an elite talent has dropped I tend to think we may as well save our other picks and wait and see who falls in our lap.

Im with this.
Share 49ersWebzone