There are 99 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

Jordan Matthews and Jarvis Landry

Harbaugh said he wants a player who can get open. Most plays WRs get "open" not by running down field past everybody, but by either being so big they are nearly always "open", or by using quickness and technique. I'd rather get a college WR who has shown that ability than one who merely times out fast and assume he'll be able to get open too. Harbaugh wants someone who can get open short and medium because that's something the team doesn't have right now. So, with that in mind why not get a big guy early and a quick guy late?
Originally posted by dompernick53:
It should be Matthews or Landry but not both. One of these guys will replace Boldin and/or Crabtree. The second receiver we pick needs to be a vertical threat such as Beckham jr., Herron, Cooks or Ellington. We need SPEED gentlemen!

Correct. After Beckham, Landry would be my second receiver picked. Guy is a stud with a great attitude
How about drafting moncrief Latimer and Ellington to be our receiving core for the next five years!
Pass and Pass again.
I would love to have either not both.
  • Phil
Mathews and Allen Robinson are the most NFL ready. I'd be very happy with either and ecstatic if we managed to draft both.
Originally posted by Phil:
Mathews and Allen Robinson are the most NFL ready. I'd be very happy with either and ecstatic if we managed to draft both.

So 5 possession receivers.....awesome.
Originally posted by Scoots:
Harbaugh said he wants a player who can get open. Most plays WRs get "open" not by running down field past everybody, but by either being so big they are nearly always "open", or by using quickness and technique. I'd rather get a college WR who has shown that ability than one who merely times out fast and assume he'll be able to get open too. Harbaugh wants someone who can get open short and medium because that's something the team doesn't have right now. So, with that in mind why not get a big guy early and a quick guy late?

Which receiver are you specifically referring to? There's several guys who time out fast and happen to have outstanding quickness and route running ability as well.
  • Phil
Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:

An aging Boldin may not be on the team in 2016. Crabtree might demand too much money in 2015. Doesn't have to be Robinson and Mathews but we have to think about potentially replacing both Crabtree and Boldin and this is a deep draft with 6 picks in the top 100. I'm aware we need a speedy WR and we also need a large endzone target. Most of us aren't thinking about the future so much as immediate needs but we need to draft for the future. I think Robinson would be that guy. We can pick up a second speedy WR in the second or third round.
Love this pairing for the future.
  • Phil
Originally posted by Murphys1:
Love this pairing for the future.

Not likley to happen but if it does.....we're set for the future.
I'd love to get Jordan Matthews. All in all, he might be my favorite receiver in the draft. But truth be told, all he would do is sit. Until 2016. Total waste of a pick. The ONLY way I see them drafting Jordan Matthews is if the office knows they cannot extend Michael Crabtree. Like he wants 15 million or something.
Same goes for Landry.

I think we should take two receivers, but they will be guys with speed.
  • Phil
Originally posted by LifelongNiner:
I'd love to get Jordan Matthews. All in all, he might be my favorite receiver in the draft. But truth be told, all he would do is sit. Until 2016. Total waste of a pick. The ONLY way I see them drafting Jordan Matthews is if the office knows they cannot extend Michael Crabtree. Like he wants 15 million or something.
Same goes for Landry.

I think we should take two receivers, but they will be guys with speed.

I agree Crabtree's contract could have a big impact on this years draft choices BUT how will the team know if they're going to keep Crabs? I think they generally know what they will and wont pay him and generally I think Crabs is going to go for the biggest pay check he can get. Unfortunately, I see him going to a different team. And Boldin of course is aging. AND we do need a speedster who can spread the field. BUT we also need a tall/big WR with a large catch radius and jumping ability.

Our best choice to have an impact this year would be a guy like Benjamin who isnt the fastest but gets a lot of deep ball production because of his size and is productive in the endzone. Can he produce in the NFL? That's the big question. Maybe we should go after a guy like Mathews or Robinson then draft a guy like Bryant later in the draft?

I dont see a guy like Cooks doing well on the 49ers. He's too small. Kap needs a taller guy who can phsysiclly dominate DB's and jump high with a wide catch radius. Cooks would work for a guy like Brady or Manning, QB's who can throw smaller guys open. Also, a lot of his production came from quick screens and slants, something our offense doent do for some reason.
[ Edited by Phil on May 5, 2014 at 5:33 PM ]
Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:

I think you're mistakenly equating speed with being a deep threat. Allen Robinson and Kelvin Benjamin didn't run blazing 40s, but they are both tremendously effective down the field--probably more so than Cooks and Beckham.
Some of you guys act like it would be a crime for players like this to learn for a year or 2 before being asked to carry the load. Both our starting WR could be gone in 2 years. This draft is deep at WR & Corner and we have 6 picks in the top 100. They could get easily get both these guys plus a speed guy, carry 6 WR on the roster (Boldin, Crabs, hopefully Patton over Lloyd, and 3 picks), and still address the CB position.