There are 250 users in the forums

Jordan Matthews and Jarvis Landry

Originally posted by T-9ers:
That's just way too many receivers. Our QB would get confused, too many options. Richardson is starting to make the most sense to me, fast, big play ability, a lot of upside and can be had in the 3rd round possibly. We can use other picks to move up or solidfy our defense and O-Line. Either way I like about 10 receivers in this draft and Matthews and Landry are definitely 2 of them.

How can it be too many options when Roman rarely plays more than 2 WR's at the same time? Hell in the Jumbo set they only have 1 WR. The #3 WR is more like the #4 or #5 WR on most other teams.

That's just way too many receivers. Our QB would get confused, too many options. Richardson is starting to make the most sense to me, fast, big play ability, a lot of upside and can be had in the 3rd round possibly. We can use other picks to move up or solidfy our defense and O-Line. Either way I like about 10 receivers in this draft and Matthews and Landry are definitely 2 of them.

That's comically sad. I'm not disagreeing with you but still extremely sad. Unfortunately, we have to prepare for Crabtree's departure and shoring up on high ranking receiver is a must. We have a history of developing lower ranked CBs and struggling with our WR corps so despite CK's inability to see the entire field/Roman's inability to structure a complicated passing scheme we have to invest in WR early.

I think we move up into mid first round and target a guy like Beckham who would step in immediately and contribute with the 3rd receiver spot (poor Patton) and KR/PR duties.
Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:
Originally posted by LaMichaelJeff:
I would actually LOVE both lol. I just feel like having guys that block very well, catches everything thrown their way, and are already decent route runners fits our offense best.

Why? So you can have two more guys to sit on the bench and watch Boldin and Crabtree play? None of those guys add anything that this team doesn't already have. Strong route running and good hands? Boldin and Crabtree, along with Patton have that in spades.

Ability to force a safety to stay back deep in case the receiver blows past them? Not a chance.

Its redundancy at its finest. If you look at the top teams in the NFL, they usually have a combination of possession receivers and guys that are vertical threats. Having 5 possession receivers on a team that typically only plays 2 receivers at a time is just asinine.

One of the reasons that this team has struggled to get it done on offense is because they don't have any real deep threats at WR, its all possession receivers that allows teams to cheat and bring their safeties in closer and play physical press coverage without worrying that the guy they are covering will be blowing past them after one step and taking it to the house.

take it easy, Phoenix. that's why i put the "LOL" in my post.

i KNOW we need the explosive threat, but like you mention in your response, these receivers are gonna be watching Crabtree/Boldin play. can we be explosive with the right players? absolutely. but from what we've seen under Greg Roman, this team will ALWAYS be a run first, grind it out team. adding a vertical threat isn't gonna change it. Having both Crabtree and Boldin out their at the same time is still a big threat for DBs.
People act like he didn't run a 4.4 40 lol
Boldin is old and has 2 maybe 3 years left
Crabtree is on a contract year
Matthews is fast, hasn't been caught from behind and should be an easy 1st rounder
Hell the nfl thinks so, he was invited to the combine
And EJ Gaines has gone on record to say he is the best WR he's faced in college. And he played against almost all the top guys in the draft
Disagree w/Poster.

IMO - the top 3 guys are more pro-ready.

Watkins, Evans and Beckham.

I'm really hoping we take Beckham.
Originally posted by LasVegasWally:
Disagree w/Poster.

IMO - the top 3 guys are more pro-ready.

Watkins, Evans and Beckham.

I'm really hoping we take Beckham.

I said of players in our drafting range.
After being high on Landry early, now he just seems slow and unexplosive playing next to Beckham... Yes he can make excellent catches and high point the ball. But he has to make those catches cuz the DB is on his hip every play, and the DBs will only get better... Beckhams fluidity and balance is real impressive.. He reminds me way more of Steve Smith than Cooks does...

i KNOW we need the explosive threat, but like you mention in your response, these receivers are gonna be watching Crabtree/Boldin play. can we be explosive with the right players? absolutely. but from what we've seen under Greg Roman, this team will ALWAYS be a run first, grind it out team. adding a vertical threat isn't gonna change it. Having both Crabtree and Boldin out their at the same time is still a big threat for DBs.

This is exactly my point. I think if we play a certain way, why not get some assets who play THAT way already? We just signed Lloyd again...he was never fast, but he found ways to get open and he caught difficult passes.

I completely understand what Phoenix is saying...but it just looks to me like we may not value those deep threats as it would seem we should.

How can it be too many options when Roman rarely plays more than 2 WR's at the same time? Hell in the Jumbo set they only have 1 WR. The #3 WR is more like the #4 or #5 WR on most other teams.

Ya Phoenix, take it easy. I was jokingly referring to our qb's tunnel vision.
Agree WRT Matthews...but think I'd rather see Baalke tab Ellington over Landry. He's faster and is an excellent KR. I think he'd be a matchup nightmare. T-9ers...where did you get that Richardson's big? He's 6', 170-175 lbs...that's not big. In fact, the main reason I wouldn't want him is because he's more Gumby-like than say Cooks, Ellington or Herron, who're shorter, but compact, strong and fast. I really think a fast, shorter slot receiver would be a real matchup challenge for opposing defenses.

Regarding Matthews and his good "playing speed", check out him pulling away at the 1:04 mark of this video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LfoPwGsNhco

It adds a new dimension to the offense that they currently lack. Take away VD and this offense looks completely pathetic. They need more speed and based on the guys who they have been talking to, it seems that the 49ers front office recognizes it as well.
Originally posted by CorvaNinerFan:
Agree WRT Matthews...but think I'd rather see Baalke tab Ellington over Landry. He's faster and is an excellent KR. I think he'd be a matchup nightmare. T-9ers...where did you get that Richardson's big? He's 6', 170-175 lbs...that's not big. In fact, the main reason I wouldn't want him is because he's more Gumby-like than say Cooks, Ellington or Herron, who're shorter, but compact, strong and fast. I really think a fast, shorter slot receiver would be a real matchup challenge for opposing defenses.

I'd rather have Cooks aswell, but I'd take Richardson over Herron and Ellington. We could easily put 10-15lbs. on Gumby. I never said "big" any ways, I said "big play ability". Lots of options though, I like that. We can forget about these Steve Smith comparisons with any of these guys.
[ Edited by T-9ers on Apr 30, 2014 at 11:50 AM ]
I would actually LOVE both lol. I just feel like having guys that block very well, catches everything thrown their way, and are already decent route runners fits our offense best.

Why? So you can have two more guys to sit on the bench and watch Boldin and Crabtree play? None of those guys add anything that this team doesn't already have. Strong route running and good hands? Boldin and Crabtree, along with Patton have that in spades.

Ability to force a safety to stay back deep in case the receiver blows past them? Not a chance.

Its redundancy at its finest. If you look at the top teams in the NFL, they usually have a combination of possession receivers and guys that are vertical threats. Having 5 possession receivers on a team that typically only plays 2 receivers at a time is just asinine.

One of the reasons that this team has struggled to get it done on offense is because they don't have any real deep threats at WR, its all possession receivers that allows teams to cheat and bring their safeties in closer and play physical press coverage without worrying that the guy they are covering will be blowing past them after one step and taking it to the house.

Boldin is getting old and Crabtree may be on his way out and has a history of injury problems, so while these guys may not get many opportunities in 2014, they may both be starters in 2015. Do we need a speed guy too? Absolutely. So take one of these guys (I'd prefer Matthews) and a developmental speed guy. But we need NFL ready receivers that fit our system.
Mathews>Landry.
Share 49ersWebzone