LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 259 users in the forums

Jordan Matthews and Jarvis Landry

I know everyone is clamoring for speed, speed, speed and I completely understand that. But something tells me that these are the two most NFL ready WR's in this year's draft (that are available at our picks).

Jordan Matthews
We all know about Matthews bloodlines, and his SEC receiving records, but I've seen and heard a number of in-depth interviews with this cat and he is the most prepared and knowledgeable WR I've ever heard coming out of college. He literally would walk right into the film room and be at home right now. Also, to address teh speed issue...his 40 time was excellent, and his film shows a Jordy Nelson type of ability downfield. I honestly would not be surprised if he becomes the steal of this draft.

Jarvis Landry
I know you probably want his running mate, Beckham, but let's face it...we are a pro-style, power run team who will lean on Gore until he cant go anymore. Landry is by far the best blocking WR in the draft. He is almost like a TE in his blocking strength. He also plays the slot VERY WELL. He understands how to get open and can adapt and catch poorly thrown balls, or passes thrown while he is being interfered with (important when playing the Seahawks).

So, I honestly have these dudes on my list of "players I hope we get"...despite the fact that they are not 4.3 forty guys who return kicks.
Well there are threads on these guys but yeah I think these guys would be my choices since they are NFL ready and we can't seem to develop a WR. If you asked me what my ideal draft is I would go 1.Verrett (Day 1 Slot Guy) 2.Matthews (Day 1 Slot) 2.Easley (Future McDonald Replacement?) 3.Landry (Day 1 Contributor #4/#5 WR). I'd be fine with Fuller instead of Verrett as well since I think he is another day 1 guy.
[ Edited by Gore_21 on Apr 30, 2014 at 8:59 AM ]
49ers really dont need another two possession receivers, they need some vertical threats, guys who can force defenses out of the box. I would love to have either Matthews or Landry but not both. Basically the 49ers would have 5 possession receivers, what the hell is the point of that?
[ Edited by Phoenix49ers on Apr 30, 2014 at 9:01 AM ]
Originally posted by Gore_21:
Well there are threads on these guys but yeah I think these guys would be my choices since they are NFL ready and we can't seem to develop a WR. If you asked me what my ideal draft is I would go 1.Verrett (Day 1 Slot Guy) 2.Matthews (Day 1 Slot) 2.Easley (Future McDonald Replacement?) 3.Landry (Day 1 Contributor #4/#5 WR). I'd be fine with Fuller instead of Verrett as well since I think he is another day 1 guy.

I'd be very good with this for the Niners' first four picks if they could pull it off. Then, I'd take either the best S for our system (to eventually replace Bethea and pair w/ Reid) or the best OLB for our system (due to the uncertainty w/ Aldon).
Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:
49ers really dont need another two possession receivers, they need some vertical threats, guys who can force defenses out of the box. I would love to have either Matthews or Landry but not both. Basically the 49ers would have 5 possession receivers, what the hell is the point of that?

I would actually LOVE both lol. I just feel like having guys that block very well, catches everything thrown their way, and are already decent route runners fits our offense best.

I thought (and maybe I thought wrong) that Matthews was both a good hands/"possession" WR that also had deceptively quick speed for his size and plays faster on the field (I'm not trying to describe his famous relative, the GOAT :-) . Maybe I'm wrong about that but just thought I read that in a few places about him - I haven't seen him play.
It's good to have a good blocking wr but forget that right now. We need some explosiveness on offense. A player that actually forces defenses out of cramming the box and can just run past defenders. Right now everybody on offense gets walked down from behind besides Vernon. Your qb shouldn't be the 2nd fastest person on the offense.
[ Edited by lamontb on Apr 30, 2014 at 9:10 AM ]

Definitely +1 on this - maybe Herron later in the draft if they just take one of these types of WRs in the earlier rounds?
Originally posted by LaMichaelJeff:
I would actually LOVE both lol. I just feel like having guys that block very well, catches everything thrown their way, and are already decent route runners fits our offense best.

Why? So you can have two more guys to sit on the bench and watch Boldin and Crabtree play? None of those guys add anything that this team doesn't already have. Strong route running and good hands? Boldin and Crabtree, along with Patton have that in spades.

Ability to force a safety to stay back deep in case the receiver blows past them? Not a chance.

Its redundancy at its finest. If you look at the top teams in the NFL, they usually have a combination of possession receivers and guys that are vertical threats. Having 5 possession receivers on a team that typically only plays 2 receivers at a time is just asinine.

One of the reasons that this team has struggled to get it done on offense is because they don't have any real deep threats at WR, its all possession receivers that allows teams to cheat and bring their safeties in closer and play physical press coverage without worrying that the guy they are covering will be blowing past them after one step and taking it to the house.
[ Edited by Phoenix49ers on Apr 30, 2014 at 9:17 AM ]
Imagine if we get Matthews and Rice jr? Would it be the first uncle-nephew tandem in the nfl?

Originally posted by gold49digger:
Imagine if we get Matthews and Rice jr? Would it be the first uncle-nephew tandem in the nfl?

No, because they aren't related in that way. Matthews is a second cousin of Rice's, not a direct relative.
I know there's a thread on him already but: Jordan Matthews - 6-3, 212, 4.46 40. Here's more from a write-up yesterday from NFL Draft Scout:

04/29/14 - 2014 NFL Draft Wide Receiver: Jordan Matthews, Vanderbilt, 6-3, 212, 4.46...Cousin of the legendary Jerry Rice, Matthews is a better football player than he is an athlete. He led the SEC with a gaudy 19.0 yards-per-catch average last season with above average speed that is more deceptive than sudden. His size allows offense scheme favorable matchups. Career totals: SEC's all-time leader with 262 receptions and 3,759 receiving yards. Frankly: For what it's worth, Matthews is bigger and faster than cousin Jerry Rice, which helps eliminate the shock value of him catching 201 passes over the last two seasons. Now, if he can manage to hang around the NFL for 19 years perhaps the family comparisons will continue.

Link: http://www.nfldraftscout.com/ratings/dsprofile.php?pyid=110183&draftyear=2014&genpos=WR
It should be Matthews or Landry but not both. One of these guys will replace Boldin and/or Crabtree. The second receiver we pick needs to be a vertical threat such as Beckham jr., Herron, Cooks or Ellington. We need SPEED gentlemen!
Originally posted by gold49digger:

No, because they aren't related in that way. Matthews is a second cousin of Rice's, not a direct relative.

oh well then.... still Matthews is a really good and underrated receiver in this draft.

And Baby Jerry is living off his daddys name.
That's just way too many receivers. Our QB would get confused, too many options. Richardson is starting to make the most sense to me, fast, big play ability, a lot of upside and can be had in the 3rd round possibly. We can use other picks to move up or solidfy our defense and O-Line. Either way I like about 10 receivers in this draft and Matthews and Landry are definitely 2 of them.
Share 49ersWebzone