There are 102 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

If you don't like this Mock you got problems

Originally posted by CorvaNinerFan:
You almost had me with this one...only thing I'd change is to substitute Desir for Aikens. Pierre's got the size and length (arms) Baalke likes so much. Especially important with the shorter, smaller Verrett already taken. Overal, great job, man.

The thing is that Desir is likely to be gone by that point.(late 3rd)

Its not like Aikens is some crummy consolation prize. He's got great size for the position, a smaller school guy with outstanding athleticism that merely needs some good coaching and development.
Originally posted by pwillis52beasty:
Yeah I would love a big fast guy like Moncrief or Latimer, but those guys have really rose in the draft and I don't know if they would be there with the second second round pick. I'm torn between getting a receiver there or Bucannon.

In my last mock I decided to split the difference since other safeties had moved up a lot on the draft boards and a guy like Loston had dropped off enough that he was a steal in the later rounds. If Loston can be had in the late 3rd then another receiver can be taken in the 2nd potentially if the 49ers decided to go that route. I think Loston is a nice, solid SS prospect that could benefit from some top notch coaching, as well as being around his former teammate in Reid again.
From what I know, Aikens is more of a raw prospect with more upside. Also, Jean Baptiste would be a pretty old rookie at 24, I don't think he has the greatest long speed and believe a lot of the passes he gives up are deep balls ( I don't like that), he's going to likely go higher than Aikens, and I feel like we already have our Richard Sherman like project in Chris Cook. Really though I wouldn't be mad with any of those guys. I'm confident in our team when it comes to drafting the right guys on defense.

As for Fuller and Verrett. I think Verrett is better in coverage, but Fuller has the size and length you look for in a top corner when matching up against the Calvin Johnsons, Julio Jones, Demaryius Thomas's, etc. I think because the NFL is a copycat league, Fuller will end up being drafted before Verrett. I'd love to have Fuller or Verrett, but think it's more likely that Verrett drops to 39 than Fuller.

My other argument for Verrett is that you need guys who can match up with and shut down the Victor Cruz, Percy Harvin, TY Hilton types. Verrett is perfect for that, tremendous speed, quickness and lateral movement. If he can lock down guys like those listed for years to come, he'd be well worth the pick and then some.

Coming up this season alone, the 49ers will be facing: Percy Harvin x2(assuming he doesn't injure his cervix), Tavon Austin x2, DeSean Jackson, Wes Welker, Victor Cruz....etc....

Out of all the guys in the draft, I don't see anyone being a better fit to cover guys like Harvin and Cruz than Verrett. If Culliver can sort out his legal issues and he and Brock can handle the outside and Verrett in the slot with Wright subbing in for Culliver's inevitably suspension, the 49ers could be alright.
Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:
From what I know, Aikens is more of a raw prospect with more upside. Also, Jean Baptiste would be a pretty old rookie at 24, I don't think he has the greatest long speed and believe a lot of the passes he gives up are deep balls ( I don't like that), he's going to likely go higher than Aikens, and I feel like we already have our Richard Sherman like project in Chris Cook. Really though I wouldn't be mad with any of those guys. I'm confident in our team when it comes to drafting the right guys on defense.

As for Fuller and Verrett. I think Verrett is better in coverage, but Fuller has the size and length you look for in a top corner when matching up against the Calvin Johnsons, Julio Jones, Demaryius Thomas's, etc. I think because the NFL is a copycat league, Fuller will end up being drafted before Verrett. I'd love to have Fuller or Verrett, but think it's more likely that Verrett drops to 39 than Fuller.

My other argument for Verrett is that you need guys who can match up with and shut down the Victor Cruz, Percy Harvin, TY Hilton types. Verrett is perfect for that, tremendous speed, quickness and lateral movement. If he can lock down guys like those listed for years to come, he'd be well worth the pick and then some.

Coming up this season alone, the 49ers will be facing: Percy Harvin x2(assuming he doesn't injure his cervix), Tavon Austin x2, DeSean Jackson, Wes Welker, Victor Cruz....etc....

Out of all the guys in the draft, I don't see anyone being a better fit to cover guys like Harvin and Cruz than Verrett. If Culliver can sort out his legal issues and he and Brock can handle the outside and Verrett in the slot with Wright subbing in for Culliver's inevitably suspension, the 49ers could be alright.

Yeah great points. I think Verrett would be perfect to cover the slot receivers.
Alright so I updated this mock. I think this would be a greater strategy. I was convinced by many to go back to drafting two receivers, which I have done in all my other mocks. A guy like Moncrief, Latimer, Matthews, or Robinson would be really nice to have on this team for the future. I think it is indeed smarter to take two guys at wideout when the draft this year is so deep at receiver. We would be addressing the future with the possible loss of Crabtree and Boldin getting closer to retirement.

Strong safety is not as big of a need and we can always groom someone like Aikens at safety if need be. He does have a little experience there and he has a lot of athletic upside and size, so we may have options with him. Then we can always draft Bethea's replacement in the next couple drafts, when the safety class may be a bit deeper.

Also, I don't think its necessary we draft a QB. Gabbert should be ok as the #2 and we can always sign a vet or udfa. OLB depth will have to wait until the 5th round now, but Lemonier and Skuta should be able to hold it down for a while if Aldon is suspended.
Well thanks for the analysis. I loved Eric Reid last year and wasn't high on Swearinger either. Bucannon came in 8th in the 20 yard shuttle and 3rd in the 3 cone drill out of safeties at the combine and both of his times were practically identical to Eric Reid's. So I wouldn't worry too much about his agility. I like his size, athleticism, hard hitting style, and play making ability. I think he's good enough in coverage for a strong safety. I'd be down for a receiver like Latimer, Moncrief, Matthews, Robinson at 61 as well, but I do think Bucannon will be good.

One metric I haven't seen on Bucannon & a lot of players in this draft for some reason is his 10-yard split. Eric Reid had a faster 10-yard split by .02 seconds than any DB in this draft class including corners (1.45). I wish I had that number for Bucannon.

I didn't know that about his 3-cone & 20-yard shuttle. That surprises me because I didn't see it on the field.

But I could be wrong about him. One thing I think is really important in playing safety is his top speed because they have to cover so much ground. Bucannon has good top speed (not great but pretty good). So you have a point. I'm still skeptical though.
[ Edited by VPofCarnage on Apr 29, 2014 at 11:59 AM ]
Personally not a fan of Moncrief although I still like a lot of the picks. Moncrief has poor hands, instinctively resorts to body catching+double clutching waaaay too much which lead to too many passes dropped for my taste. He's one of the leaders in drop percentage of all top WR In the draft. Also, doesn't play as physical as you'd think a guy his size should play. This specific play sticks in my mind(i think vs LSU in 2012?) where moncrief had a ball bounce right off his hands, tipped it into the air and allowed a DB to intercept it. imagine him trying to catch those heaters from kap. no thanks.

not a fan of deone bucannon either.
[ Edited by sf_nicoya on Apr 29, 2014 at 12:57 PM ]
Back to Bucannon. This worries me:

He's in a combine workout and he slips. That's the one time you can't afford to slip. He does so because he puts his feet way out when he changes direction. That an awkward, stiff movement. You've gotta stop before you can go the other way. It's also the same thing I posted in that 2nd gif from the other post; he slipped when changing direction & had to put his hand on the ground.

Also, the guy has a high voice. You don't want that in a strong safety. You don't want Michael Jackson calling out plays & rallying the troops.

And as I said before, he spells both of his names wrong. Too many questions for my liking. I'd have a better idea if I knew what his 10-yard split was though.
[ Edited by VPofCarnage on Apr 29, 2014 at 12:20 PM ]
Here's more I don't like from Bucannon. This is absolutely terrible pursuit. There's no excuse for that kind of play. He jogs over assuming the other guy had him, and he does so at a bad angle.

And here's another example of bad open-field, unblocked pursuit:

[ Edited by VPofCarnage on Apr 29, 2014 at 12:36 PM ]
Originally posted by theninermaniac:
I like your picks, just not the methods. With a big hole at CB, I wouldn't risk missing out on a coveted CB prospect by trading out of the first round.

Well said. If Verrett was there at # 30, just take the card to the Commissioner and be happy with it.
Originally posted by VPofCarnage:
Here's more I don't like from Bucannon. This is absolutely terrible pursuit. There's no excuse for that kind of play. He jogs over assuming the other guy had him, and he does so at a bad angle.

Lol he spells his names wrong and has a high voice. He has the size, the athletic ability, the play making ability , and the physicality. He is all over the field and led the Pac 12 in tackles, to go along with his six interceptions. He can fix his problems of bad pursuit angles and not arriving under control in space. Those are things that you can improve on with practice and disciplined coaching. He might not be the greatest in coverage, but he certainly isn't the worst and I think he's plenty good enough, especially for a strong safety. Still believe he will be a good safety in the league.

VP... We get it, you don't like Bucannon. I think he would be a great pick in the 3rd, maybe even the late 2nd.

He put up some good stats at WSU.

We'll see in a couple of years.
VP isn't alone ... I don't particularly like Bucannon either.

Guess who else had terrible pursuit coming out of college. ... Reid. His tape was horrendous his last year, case in point, it can be coached. Deone wouldn't have to start this year. He's going to be a good safety, we'll all find out in a few years. Maybe this year depending where he goes
Originally posted by 49ers808:

Guess who else had terrible pursuit coming out of college. ... Reid. His tape was horrendous his last year, case in point, it can be coached. Deone wouldn't have to start this year. He's going to be a good safety, we'll all find out in a few years. Maybe this year depending where he goes

Yup. I believe Bucannon will be a good safety in the league. His issues can definitely be coached up and fixed.