LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 260 users in the forums

ABs 2nd/Last WZ Collaborative Mock Draft- CIN(GoreFullBore) is OTC

Originally posted by Quest4six:
Aaron Donald is not Geno Atkins
NT needs to be big

Atkins is 6'1 325lbs
Donald isn't even over 300lbs (285)

IF he bulks up, he will lose some of that 4.6 40 speed, no way a guy over 300lbs is anywhere close to 4.6
Also, Hands are more active than strong -- could play with more pop and power. Overpowered in the run game and ground up by double teams. Gets snared and controlled by bigger, longer blockers. Not a two-gap player

I pulled that off the combine website... Those are the not problems you would want a NT to have
Lacks playing with power, overpowered in the run game, gets ground up by double teams, no way this guy can change into a NT,

He would LITERALLY have to become a different player

"He's undersized as a defensive tackle lacking adequate height and bulk. Doesn't have the power to consistently hold up at the point of attack against the run and is overpowered by bigger blockers. Must become more consistent with his hand use."

I guess your right. I just pulled that from the weaknesses section of the combine website... Oh wait that's from Geno Atkin 's profile. Says he only weighed 293 coming out of college? He must have bulked up since then.
[ Edited by HarboutTHAT on Apr 30, 2014 at 10:54 AM ]
Originally posted by HarboutTHAT:
Yea I think he could play all the way around the line. Yes he's short, but THICK, he ways the same as Justin Smith right now.
the same as Justin Smith. Justin is 6-4 and an (almost) prototypical 3-4DE.
Originally posted by communist:
the same as Justin Smith. Justin is 6-4 and an (almost) prototypical 3-4DE.

Hence the "thick", yes I know Justin Smith is 6'4. It was simply a comparison of weight...
"He's undersized as a defensive tackle lacking adequate height and bulk. Doesn't have the power to consistently hold up at the point of attack against the run and is overpowered by bigger blockers. Must become more consistent with his hand use."

I guess your right. I just pulled that from the weaknesses section of the combine website... Oh wait that's from Geno Atkin 's profile. Says he only weighed 293 coming out of college? He must have bulked up since then.

He obviously bulked up since then.
I don't know if you are playing too much madden... Or what is going on...
Anyways,
Atkins works well with his hands, also had great technique in college getting around blockers and did well against the run. He didn't rely on his speed like Donald does, rather relied on his skill set and strength.
You're ignoring the fact that if Donald bulks up, he is going to get slower.
You think Donald can get to the ideal size of a DT (adding about 30lbs) and still play as fast as he does?
Donald is a guy who relies on his speed to make plays. Wouldn't make much sense to come into a 3-4 when his skills fit better into a 4-3.
To be honest, I don't get the comparison at all. You compare a 3-4DE with a presumptive 3-4NT.
He could be a 3-4NT, imo, if he gains about 15 pounds. We don't play with two-gap fattys, iirc. BUT I don't think that we will pick a NT early. Dorsey and Williams should be enough.
I disagree he is very comparable, on tape he has blown through numerous double teams and showed an ability to play with power.. Your worried he doesn't use his hands enough? That can be taught, heck, that's one of the easiest things to teach. Guess what can't be taught, SPEED, quickness of the line... You act like those are bad things, their not.... He's not going to diminish into a slow player if he gains 20 pounds of muscle.. It will probably improve his first step... Also let's not categorize what type of lineman he is... He's young, raw and could potentially play all 3 spots
I disagree he is very comparable, on tape he has blown through numerous double teams and showed an ability to play with power.. Your worried he doesn't use his hands enough? That can be taught, heck, that's one of the easiest things to teach. Guess what can't be taught, SPEED, quickness of the line... You act like those are bad things, their not.... He's not going to diminish into a slow player if he gains 20 pounds of muscle.. It will probably improve his first step... Also let's not categorize what type of lineman he is... He's young, raw and could potentially play all 3 spots

Showing an ability to play with power isn't the same as playing with power. Not to mention, he was only able to show flashes of it in college... This is the NFL...
Gaining 20lbs slows you down. I don't care who you are, it makes you slower off the line, slower in the backfield, and slower off the edge.
He does not blow through double teams.

He also benefitted from playing in a 4-3 along side a NT. He WAS NOT the NT. Doesn't make any sense for him to gain weight either.
Originally posted by Quest4six:

Showing an ability to play with power isn't the same as playing with power. Not to mention, he was only able to show flashes of it in college... This is the NFL...
Gaining 20lbs slows you down. I don't care who you are, it makes you slower off the line, slower in the backfield, and slower off the edge.
He does not blow through double teams.

He also benefitted from playing in a 4-3 along side a NT. He WAS NOT the NT. Doesn't make any sense for him to gain weight either.
1)though, gaining 20 pounds on a d-line body wouldn't mean that he will run a 40 within 4.90 instead of 4.60. He won't lose speed dramatically.
2)that's right.
There is the great part... We shall see... I personally see him growing significantly with NFL coaching and getting strong enough to dominate in any scheme... His pass rush ability will be a force...
Yall aint done yet come on CHOP CHOP !!!!!!

Right now Donald projects as a 4-3 DT, Giants and other 4-3 teams are perfect for him. I don't see him as a 3-4 fit at all. If you are drafting 10-20 range you better be getting a starter that fits your scheme or is scheme versitile
Sorry guys forgot to send a PM to NickSh49 to let him know he is on the clock.
TRADE ALERT

The steelers and the 49ers have reached agreement on a trade.

We swap 1st rounders and the steelers get #56 in the 2nd round.
[ Edited by JimHarbaugh on Apr 30, 2014 at 3:17 PM ]
Originally posted by JimHarbaugh:
TRADE ALERT

The steelers and the 49ers have reached agreement on a trade.

We swap 1st rounders and the steelers get #56 in the 2nd round.

Nice.
Originally posted by AB81Rules:
Sorry guys forgot to send a PM to NickSh49 to let him know he is on the clock.

I'm here. Sorry worked late last night. Pick coming in the next 15 min.
Share 49ersWebzone