There are 66 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

Yay Area's 2014 Draft Version 3

I wanted this version to be a little more aggressive. So I have included two trades:

No. 30 and No. 77 for No. 21
No. 56 and No. 94 for No. 34

No. 21 - O'dell Beckham, WR, LS, 5'11'', 198, 4.43
We move up to secure Beckham, who will immediately become our top returner and will be a great deep threat at WR.
No. 30 - Traded to Green Bay for No. 21
No. 34 - Jason Verrett, CB, TCU, 5'10'', 189, 4.38
We move up to grab Jason Verrett, who falls out of the first round due to his size. However, his film shows that he is arguably the best corner in the draft and can come in and compete right away as a slot cornerback.
No. 56 - Traded to Washington for No. 34
No. 61 - Cody Latimer, WR, Indiana, 6'3'', 215, 4.45
With our second 2nd round pick, we select Cody Latimer, who our staff seems to really like. He has the size and speed to stretch the field, similar to Josh Gordon
No. 77 - Traded to Green Bay for No. 21
No. 94 - Traded to Washington for No. 34
No. 100 - Keith McGill, CB, Utah, 6'3'', 211, 4.47
With our 3rd round comp pick, we select Keith McGill, who fits the new mold of cornerbacks in the NFL.
No. 129 - David Fales, QB, San Jose St., 6'2'', 212, 4.99
In the 5th round, we select Fales, who Harbaugh really likes, and can come in and compete for the backup QB spot.
No. 242 - Brandon Thomas, G, Clemson, 6'3'', 317, 5.09
Here we select Thomas, who serves as this year's Baalke special. He is a solid guard, who can redshirt for year, and then come in and compete for a backup guard spot and potentially a starting guard spot depending on what happens with Iupati.
No. 243 - Jonathan Dowling, S, Western Kentucky, 6'3'', 190, 4.52
His measurables are too much to pass on at this point. He has great potential and could potential.
No. 245 - Gator Hoskins, FB/TE, Marshall , 6'2'', 253, 4.73
Will be a solid backup to Bruce Miller and can also fill some of the role that Delanie Walker played.
No thanks, pretty much across the board except Latimer.
Love teh first 3 picks (beckham, verrett, latimer). The rest of the draft needs work imo.
Don't want any part of Keith McGill.
I think we'll have to move up higher to get Odell.

I would love to get him on the team.

Verret would be a very solid pick
Pick #129 is a 4th round pick where is ur 5th round pick ???? Not a bad mock not surd about McGill i hate tha idea of tryin to copyin tha seahags ...
I don't understand the ardent love for Beckham from 49ers fans ... he doesn't help in the redzone and redzone scoring is where the 49ers failed in the last game 2 years in a row.
Originally posted by Scoots:
I don't understand the ardent love for Beckham from 49ers fans ... he doesn't help in the redzone and redzone scoring is where the 49ers failed in the last game 2 years in a row.

Beckham stretches the field, returns punts and has good hands. Boldin, Crabtree, V. Davis and I believe even Vance McDonald are red zone targets.
Beckham stretches the field on a team that doesn't throw deep often and has a QB who struggles with deep accuracy. Boldin, Crabtree, and Davis are red-zone targets but for 2 years in a row with multiple chances to win BIG games in the redzone they have been unable to produce. A long armed 6'5" receiver is something the 49ers don't have. Davis has comparable speed to Beckham, and I don't think a 1st round pick should ever be used as a punt returner ... if they are worth the pick then they are too valuable to risk on punt returns ... look at Patrick Peterson, after 2 years in the NFL his PR abilities are gone, probably because he's too valuable elsewhere and either he or the team are being ultra cautious. I'd rather the 49ers draft Chris Davis in the 4th/5th as a PR with a shot to play CB rather than make a 1st round pick return punts.
Originally posted by Scoots:
Beckham stretches the field on a team that doesn't throw deep often and has a QB who struggles with deep accuracy. Boldin, Crabtree, and Davis are red-zone targets but for 2 years in a row with multiple chances to win BIG games in the redzone they have been unable to produce. A long armed 6'5" receiver is something the 49ers don't have. Davis has comparable speed to Beckham, and I don't think a 1st round pick should ever be used as a punt returner ... if they are worth the pick then they are too valuable to risk on punt returns ... look at Patrick Peterson, after 2 years in the NFL his PR abilities are gone, probably because he's too valuable elsewhere and either he or the team are being ultra cautious. I'd rather the 49ers draft Chris Davis in the 4th/5th as a PR with a shot to play CB rather than make a 1st round pick return punts.

I think the real issue is Kap's accuracy in the red zone. Not too many people going to keep Boldin and Crabtree from getting the ball if it's thrown in a way that gives them a good chance. Same with the deep ball as you mentioned. BTW, if Beckham is selected, he will return punts his rookie season. You have to approach your return game year by year. If and when Beckham became the focal point of our offense, a new decision will be made.
60sfan ... if that's the case (that Beckham is your return guy for 1 year) then it shouldn't be a significant factor in his being the 1st round pick, but rather that pick should be all about his ability as a receiver.
A few things:
I did forget about 5th round pick, No. 170. It was going to be Jordan Tripp, LB, Montana. He is 6'3", 234, with 4.67 40. He will provide solid depth at both linebacker spots.

As far as McGill goes, I understand the pros and cons with him. It seems like the forum is pretty even with people who like the idea of drafting a taller, bigger corner, and others who would prefer not to copy Seattle. I could go either way. I just felt like at this spot in the draft, some of my preferred corners like Pierre Desir or Phillip Gaines would already be off the board.

And with Beckham, I understand that taking a smaller WR/PR in the first round is risky and reeks of the Jenkins pick. But I believe that Beckham is worth it. He proved to be productive in SEC, which is a tough task. Additionally, while this team hasn't thrown deep much, I think most of us would agree that throwing deep is something that this offense needs in order to open up with field and get more running lanes. Also, Beckham is the type of quicker, elusive receiver that give Seattle's cornerbacks trouble. Finally, as far as Beckham not being a redzone threat, I feel that Latimer helps to fill that role. I mean he's not Evans or Benjamin, but he is big at 6'3" 215
I like it. Latimer will be gone by then tho
Scoots- it will be for his ability as a receiver. He just will not be the focal point his rookie year. Hopefully he can do enough to keep the extra safety out of the box.
  • LVJay
  • Veteran
Beckham, Verrett, Latimer... cool! Picking another (taller) CB after Verrett is ideal, but not sure if it's Keith McGill. We're also gonna need an OLB and a safety, (I hope we get a safety way before 7th rd). ALSO, I don't think David Fales makes it to the 4th (let alone the 5th rd).