LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 244 users in the forums

MadDog's Best Player Available Board #1-50 April 26, 2014

Originally posted by MadDog49er:
Just noticing that Mayock also has elevated Fuller as his number one corner earlier today.

Yea I saw that as well, fuller looks like a well rounded CB imo my favorite DB in this draft

How do you feel about Bashaud Breeland?
jadaeeon at 14 eh

edit- and Hyde at NINE??? I dont have hyde as a first round runningback. Love your work, just confused by having Hyde at 9 and jadeveon at 14.
[ Edited by Zachary on Apr 29, 2014 at 2:44 AM ]
  • mayo49
  • Veteran
Just noticing that Mayock also has elevated Fuller as his number one corner earlier today.

If Fuller some how fell to #30, I'd cream my pants.
Originally posted by 49er_Rider:
Yea I saw that as well, fuller looks like a well rounded CB imo my favorite DB in this draft

How do you feel about Bashaud Breeland?
Not as high on Breeland as some. Like his length but don't see the suddenness to track with the swift receivers of the NFL
Originally posted by Zachary:
jadaeeon at 14 eh

edit- and Hyde at NINE??? I dont have hyde as a first round runningback. Love your work, just confused by having Hyde at 9 and jadeveon at 14.

Hyde will probably be a second round pick, but I think ends up one of the best players in this draft. As for Clowney, all the physical tools are there but I don't see the passion to be a star in the NFL. Think he will have a good, not great career.
I love Hyde, my only problem with him is that if you get to him quick he goes down too easy.
Originally posted by Zachary:
jadaeeon at 14 eh

Hyde will probably be a second round pick, but I think ends up one of the best players in this draft. As for Clowney, all the physical tools are there but I don't see the passion to be a star in the NFL. Think he will have a good, not great career.

Like Mario Williams?
Originally posted by RollinWith21n52:
Like Mario Williams?

Mario Williams has had a really excellent career. At the same time, he was more special physically than Clowney. Two inches taller, 30 pounds heavier, he was faster in the shuttle and cone drills, jumped 3 inches higher than Clowney, and put up more than a dozen more reps at 225. Clowney only has 21 reps at 225.

Williams was an "off the charts" athlete, like Calvin Johnson and JJ Watt. While Clowney is a very good athlete, he doesn't match up pound for pound with these guys in the straighline speed, change of direction speed, explosion and lifting combination.

Most importantly, Williams did not have a dropoff in his final season. His best season, by far, was his final season. Clowney had a big dropoff in 2013. There is no doubt he received more attention. But, so did Williams.
[ Edited by MadDog49er on Apr 30, 2014 at 1:34 PM ]

I think you are going to be surprised at how effective a tool like money can be used in motivating guys.
Clowney has all the tools to be a HOF IMO. Whether or not that happens is up to him, I believe it will once he gets into an NFL environment.
Originally posted by Quest4six:
I think you are going to be surprised at how effective a tool like money can be used in motivating guys.
Clowney has all the tools to be a HOF IMO. Whether or not that happens is up to him, I believe it will once he gets into an NFL environment.

I think you'd be surprised how many guys playing football don't love playing football. I have some friends who played very high levels in college, and were teammates with a lot of future NFL players (QBs, WRs, CBs, Safeties). They have told me stories about how these guys were living on ability alone in college, and enjoyed the game only for the future riches and public notoriety. In every case, these guys never lived up to expectations in the NFL because they didn't have the heart and passion for the game.

I see Kiper/McShay mock has Barr falling to us at 30. I'm not exactly keen on moving up for a pass rusher, but would would love to see him there at 30. Is he still your number 11? I think it would be hard to turn him down if he did fall to us, as we still have some options to allow him to be used sparingly while he continues to learn.
Originally posted by mrwoodz:
I see Kiper/McShay mock has Barr falling to us at 30. I'm not exactly keen on moving up for a pass rusher, but would would love to see him there at 30. Is he still your number 11? I think it would be hard to turn him down if he did fall to us, as we still have some options to allow him to be used sparingly while he continues to learn.

I'd be shocked if Barr fell to 30. I think he is more likely to go at number 7 to the Bucs than 30. Probably a top 15 pick, although you never know. It appears that some are very high on him, and others think he is soft. In the end, I believe the comparisons to Mingo last year coming out of college keep him in the first half of the first round. A ton of upside for a guy still learning the game.

I don't have my Excel Spreadsheet in front of me, but I still have him as a top 15 talent in this draft.
Planning on posting a final 256 Big Board, Best NFL Player Available Board (grading best players regardless of team fit), and 49ers Board before the draft begins.
Of the CB's and WR's, who really fits our system? I've heard people projecting Verrett/Roby (who are totally different) and Latimer/Matthews to us.
Never thought Barr was a top 10 player, but he's still learning the position and was certainly good enough to be one of the best OLB prospects in this draft. Barr's ceiling might be higher than Mack's. If the 49ers got him that would be amazing, though he certainly doesn't fill an immediate need (Lemonier/Skuta would still start even if Aldon is suspended).

MadDog, you are absolutely right about love of the game and drive not being fixed with money. There are players who are good in college who become great in the pros, but it's the drive that does it ... the money just makes it so they can focus totally on the game rather than worrying about money and school and other distractions. I'd rather have a player with a great internal drive than a player who is the best athlete who doesn't care that much. Jerry Rice said that Randy Moss was the most gifted receiver he'd ever seen but also said Moss would never achieve what he could because he didn't REALLY need it like Jerry did. Rice vs Moss ... I'd take the more average athlete in Rice every day. The biggest problem of course is that we can't measure heart.
Share 49ersWebzone