There are 263 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

MadDog's Best Player Available Board #1-50 April 26, 2014

Less than two weeks away, I am beginning to feel the draft will actually arrive. It is about time.

In contrast to the Big Board, which is a projection of where I feel players will be drafted, this thread is dedicated to the best overall players entering the NFL draft. It is a draft grade.

At the same time, this is NOT a 49er draft board, since scheme and team need push down and elevate up players.

To me, I have 20 players I would grade as first rounders, but more than 50 I would grade as second rounders. The QB class is a grande mystery. I have pushed Bridgewater below both Bortles and Garappolo, not due to his Pro Day alone, but more for his lower than expected Wonderlic score of 20.

I really love the first nine guys on the list and see each as future Pro-Bowl players at some point in their careers.

2014 NFL Draft Best Board
Pick Player School Position
1 Khalil Mack Buffalo DE/OLB
2 Greg Robinson Auburn OT
3 Sammy Watkins Clemson WR
4 Mike Evans Texas A&M WR
5 Aaron Donald Pittsburgh DT
6 Odell Beckham LSU WR
7 Zach Martin Notre Dame OT/G
8 Ryan Shazier Ohio State LB
9 Carlos Hyde Ohio State RB
10 Jake Matthews Texas A&M OT
11 Anthony Barr UCLA LB
12 Brandin Cooks Oregon St WR
13 Dee Ford Auburn LB
14 Jadeveon Clowney South Carolina DE
15 Kyle Fuller Virginia Tech CB
16 Justin Gilbert Oklahoma State CB
17 Cody Latimer Indiana WR
18 Taylor Lewan Michigan OT
19 Joel Bitonio Nevada OT/G
20 Jason Verrett TCU CB
21 Blake Bortles Central Florida QB
22 Jimmy Garappolo Eastern Illinois QB
23 Teddy Bridgewater Louisville QB
24 Hasean Clinton-Dix Alabama S
25 Xavier Su'a-Filo UCLA G
26 Jeremiah Attaochu Georgia Tech LB
27 Jimmie Ward Northern Illinois S
28 Calvin Pryor Louisville S
29 Eric Ebron North Carolina TE
30 Allen Robinson Penn State WR
31 Phillip Gaines Rice CB
32 Weston Richburg Colorado St C
33 Deone Buchanon Washington St S
34 Dominique Easley Florida DT
35 Zach Mettenberger LSU QB
36 Telvin Smith Florida State SS/OLB
37 Terrance Brooks Florida State LB
38 Timmy Jernigan Florida State DT
39 Davante Adams Fresno State WR
40 Kyle Van Noy BYU LB
41 Jace Amaro Texas Tech TE
42 Derek Carr Fresno State QB
43 Darqueze Dennard Michigan St CB
44 Morgan Moses Virginia OT
45 Jordan Matthews Vanderbilt WR
46 Martavis Bryant Clemson WR
47 Jordan Tripp Montana LB
48 Marqise Lee USC WR
49 Gabe Jackson Mississippi St G
50 Scott Crichton Oregon St DE
#12. #20 and #31 please.
[ Edited by CWin4949 on Apr 26, 2014 at 8:12 PM ]
Originally posted by CWin4949:
#12. #20 and #31 please.

Verrett and Gaines should be available when the team picks in rounds 1 and 2. I'd love the pair. The Falcons doubled up last year with Trufant and Alford, two players I really liked.
Originally posted by MadDog49er:
#12. #20 and #31 please.

Verrett and Gaines should be available when the team picks in rounds 1 and 2. I'd love the pair. The Falcons doubled up last year with Trufant and Alford, two players I really liked.

I want all three, we have to find a way to make it happen.

There's probably better 3 player combos with your rankings, but man it would great to land 3 of the top 50, but on that mid to upper tier of players.
#12. #20 and #31 please.

I want all three, we have to find a way to make it happen.

There's probably better 3 player combos with your rankings, but man it would great to land 3 of the top 50, but on that mid to upper tier of players.

That would be a hell of a haul if we pulled that off lol.
MD, people like to compare Anthony Barr to Aaron Maybin, or Martavis Bryant to Stephen Hill. You have both guys in your top 50. What about them gives you confidence that they will be better players than the previous guys?
[ Edited by SofaKing on Apr 26, 2014 at 8:36 PM ]
Sofa, Maybin should have raised a ton of red flags prior to the draft. He played at probably 230 pounds max during the season but then came to the combine at a much bigger number, 249. People wondered how he gained so much weight that quickly. Barr is a much more sturdy and consistent overall weight. Like Maybin, he needs to learn more pass rush moves, but he is still learning the position. Barr's forty times much quicker than Maybin at both combine and Pro Day. More mature player and person.

When you draft a WR from a run first offense, you are playing a higher risk that the player can succeed at the next level. Calvin Johnson transitioned well from Georgia Tech. Hill, not so much so far. And, during Johnson's time, they did throw more than Hill. Clemson's offense is more a pass first system. So, more opportunities to be seen and analyze their play. Bryant's biggest problem in college was playing behind Watkins and Hopkins. Very raw talent. Boom or bust in many ways. I see a bit more feistiness in Bryant than Hill. I think that bodes well for him at the next level. Desire is huge on contested balls.
[ Edited by MadDog49er on Apr 26, 2014 at 8:59 PM ]
Sofa, Maybin should have raised a ton of red flags prior to the draft. He played at probably 230 pounds max during the season but then came to the combine at a much bigger number, 249. People wondered how he gained so much weight that quickly. Barr is a much more sturdy and consistent overall weight. Like Maybin, he needs to learn more pass rush moves, but he is still learning the position. Barr's forty times much quicker than Maybin at both combine and Pro Day. More mature player and person.

When you draft a WR from a run first offense, you are playing a higher risk that the player can succeed at the next level. Calvin Johnson transitioned well from Georgia Tech. Hill, not so much so far. And, during Johnson's time, they did throw more than Hill. Clemson's offense is more a pass first system. So, more opportunities to be seen and analyze their play. Bryant's biggest problem in college was playing behind Watkins and Hopkins. Very raw talent. Boom or bust in many ways. I see a bit more feistiness in Bryant than Hill. I think that bodes well for him at the next level. Desire is huge on contested balls.

Thanks!
MD, I'm confused with this and your http://www.49erswebzone.com/forum/nfl-draft/178041-maddog-masters-edition-big-256-board-whole-enchilada/ board, what's the main differences? I see Bortles at 21 here, but on the other one 1st, any reasoning?
[right]Could you explain Zack Martin being ranked ahead of Jake Matthews?

I've found it difficult to come up with anything Martin does better than Matthews - he may be slightly stronger, but Matthews looks like a better run blocker, is more athletic, has longer arms and bigger hands, and is considered the better technician. Both have been very durable and seem hard working with strong intangibles (Martin was a 2-time captain but I don't think that's enough to put him over Matthews). I'm just curious because Martin is one of my least favorite first round prospects and I would rate Tuitt and Nix from Notre Dame ahead of him but neither of them cracked your top 50.
[ Edited by eastcoast49ersfan on Apr 26, 2014 at 10:50 PM ]
Agree with Mack, Robinson, and Watkins. Zach Martin really that high? How did Gilbert not grade out ahead of Fuller?
[ Edited by theninermaniac on Apr 26, 2014 at 11:51 PM ]
Originally posted by AB81Rules:
MD, I'm confused with this and your http://www.49erswebzone.com/forum/nfl-draft/178041-maddog-masters-edition-big-256-board-whole-enchilada/ board, what's the main differences? I see Bortles at 21 here, but on the other one 1st, any reasoning?

Two different board types. The Big 256 is a "slotting" projection. MD's Top 50 is his overall ranking of best available in his opinion. Totally different lists.
Originally posted by OnTheClock:
Originally posted by AB81Rules:

Two different board types. The Big 256 is a "slotting" projection. MD's Top 50 is his overall ranking of best available in his opinion. Totally different lists.

So basically it's like a mock, but without the teams, and just his thoughts on where they end up going, gotcha. Thanks OTC. If you have anything new for the site let me know.

Getting excited for May 8th-10th.
Originally posted by eastcoast49ersfan:
[right]Could you explain Zack Martin being ranked ahead of Jake Matthews?

I've found it difficult to come up with anything Martin does better than Matthews - he may be slightly stronger, but Matthews looks like a better run blocker, is more athletic, has longer arms and bigger hands, and is considered the better technician. Both have been very durable and seem hard working with strong intangibles (Martin was a 2-time captain but I don't think that's enough to put him over Matthews). I'm just curious because Martin is one of my least favorite first round prospects and I would rate Tuitt and Nix from Notre Dame ahead of him but neither of them cracked your top 50.

I think Martin comes in and dominates from Day One. I think Matthews is a good player, but feel Martin is the superior player, especially since I see him inside at guard. In the end, Matthews a solid pro at OT, and Martin a Pro Bowler at G.

Started more than 50 games, versatile, was possibly the best player during Senior Bowl week, and followed up with a strong combine,
Originally posted by theninermaniac:
Agree with Mack, Robinson, and Watkins. Zach Martin really that high? How did Gilbert not grade out ahead of Fuller?

One thing about Gilbert that bothers me. Relies too much on his athleticism. Often very sloppy in technique. Can it be corrected? Sure. Does he have all the physical tools? Sure. I simply grade Fuller slightly over him. Believe he will be more dedicated to the NFL than Gilbert.