There are 189 users in the forums

Why Martavious Bryant

• rtj03
  • Veteran
This is Stephen hill. He's all physical numbers and zero production. I realize he played with Watkins but even if Watkins isn't on same team he doesn't do much at all.

Please no Balke!!!!!!!
[ Edited by rtj03 on Apr 26, 2014 at 6:42 PM ]
  • jimrat
  • Veteran
This guy and Breeland ........No Baalke!
Agree. He reminds me too much of Stephen Hill, or Tommy Streeter. I'd take a flier on him if he drops to the 5th or 6th round. No higher.
I think he would be a great fit to stretch the field with Davis going deep, Crabtree on one side & Boldin in the slot. I would love to see Bryant on the 49ers!
I'd be happy with him in the 4th round.
I think he'll be taken in the 2nd before we pick. I think he's in between Stephen Hill and AJ Green - he's very raw and used more on go routes, but he seems a little smoother and has better hands than Hill. I think it's a little early to call Hill a bust given he was known to be a raw prospect and he's had pretty weak quarterbacks on the Jets, but I think Bryant has a better shot at developing into a complete receiver than Hill. Hill is a better run blocker though. Bryant's upside may be a poor man's AJ Green, but he has to learn how to run routes and he will probably never have the body control and coordination of Green.
  • Jd925
  • Veteran
Originally posted by eastcoast49ersfan:
I think he'll be taken in the 2nd before we pick. I think he's in between Stephen Hill and AJ Green - he's very raw and used more on go routes, but he seems a little smoother and has better hands than Hill. I think it's a little early to call Hill a bust given he was known to be a raw prospect and he's had pretty weak quarterbacks on the Jets, but I think Bryant has a better shot at developing into a complete receiver than Hill. Hill is a better run blocker though. Bryant's upside may be a poor man's AJ Green, but he has to learn how to run routes and he will probably never have the body control and coordination of Green.

His drop rate is 12.5% according to stats in the WR Draft Class of 2014 thread... that's pretty bad.
May have been overshadowed by Watkins and has some potential, but I still think Bryant is a bit overrated...
  • xcfan
  • Veteran
dude just doesn't play like a natural football player. has heartbreak written all over him
Considerations for round-two wide out should be: Paul Richardson, Allen Robinson, Jordan Mathews etc. These guys can stretch the field a little more and I see Mathews as a player that could progress to be a Crabtree-caliber type of player. Watched his highlight film and the guy is a beast. Also, he is Jerry Rice's cousin, so we know he would get shown to "the hill."
Originally posted by btthepunk:
I'd be happy with him in the 4th round.

This

Certainly tall and fast. But not for us. Some of the worst hands in the draft. Looks like he's trying to use his whole body to catch the ball. Not a good thing.
  • rtj03
  • Veteran
Originally posted by xcfan:
dude just doesn't play like a natural football player. has heartbreak written all over him

You are Absolutely dead on with that statement !!!!!!
I think raw guys like Bryant and even lesser raw guys like Benjamin & Marquise Lee could develop and reach their full potential under the right system with the right coaches but I just don't trust our system and our coaches to develop WRs. I think we would be better off taking safer more nfl ready guys like Beckham, Matthews, Robinson, Landry, etc.
Hill was the 43rd pick in the draft ... Bryant is more like the 100s. In the early 2nd I'd say no to Bryant ... in the middle to late 3rd? Yes. If the 49ers came out of this draft with Bryant and Bruce Ellington at WR I'd be happy.
Beckham, Matthews, Robinson, Landry are all in the discussion for 1st/2nd round, and all of them don't have the potential of Bryant ... Bryant is rated lower because he's so raw, but don't confuse raw with uncoordinated or not physically gifted.
Share 49ersWebzone