There are 213 users in the forums

49ers Targeting Mike Evans?

• Jcool
  • Veteran
Originally posted by SaksV:
Originally posted by CWin4949:
JJ Stokes was similar to Evans IMO. I think Evans has more talent, but the ceiling is about the same.

This

No its more kind of lazy to compare him to a former 49er bust.
Originally posted by NeonNiner:
If he's still around 10-15, I'd pull the trigger. We have enough picks to do it and he could be the big red zone threat we NEED.

Evans makes me nervous. If Watkins falls I'd shoot the moon and snag him.
Originally posted by eastcoast49ersfan:
JJ Stokes was similar to Evans IMO. I think Evans has more talent, but the ceiling is about the same.

Stokes ran a 4.66 in private workouts which I'm sure was hand-timed. Evans ran a 4.53 at the combine with a slow start and poor technique. He can run faster than that. Stokes was also a little smaller than Evans and did not have the length, he was a couple years older when drafted and he was coming off an injury and dealt with injuries in the NFL.

http://blogs.mercurynews.com/49ers/2009/04/29/time-machine-49ers-were-thrilled-to-get-stokes-at-no-10-in-1995/

On film it's clear that Evans is faster than Stokes (which isn't anything to brag about) and he plays faster than Stokes and seems to have noticeably more talent, that's why I said their similar.

You take Stokes at his very best and take Evans at his very best, Evans will edge Stokes out every time, I just don't think it's by a very large margin.

Like I have said, Evans is talented and will make a good impact on the right team, I just don't think we have the coaches or system to compliment his game.
Originally posted by Jcool:

This

A bust???

Stokes wasn't Jerry Rice, and he sure as heck wasn't worth #10, but he did make some good plays for us and he did have his moments. I wouldn't call him a bust.

In the end it didn't even matter because we still walked away with the best WR in the draft that year in the third round...
[ Edited by CWin4949 on Apr 26, 2014 at 6:20 PM ]

This

A bust???

Stokes wasn't Jerry Rice, and he sure as heck wasn't worth #10, but he did make some good plays for us and he did have his moments. I wouldn't call him a bust.

In the end it didn't even matter because we still walked away with the best WR in the draft that year in the third round...

Agreed. He actually played pretty decent. He wasn't what everyone thought he should/would have been, but he was no slouch.
  • Jcool
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Hoovtrain:

This

A bust???

Agreed. He actually played pretty decent. He wasn't what everyone thought he should/would have been, but he was no slouch.

When you are a top 10 pick (49ers traded up to get) who was expected to be a #1 WR, never had a thousand yard season despite playing with a HOF QB, only started over 10 games 3 times in your career then yes i would call him a bust.
Originally posted by Hoovtrain:

This

A bust???

When you are a top 10 pick (49ers traded up to get) who was expected to be a #1 WR, never had a thousand yard season despite playing with a HOF QB, only started over 10 games 3 times in your career then yes i would call him a bust.

Stokes made several key plays for us in big games during his tenure, yeah he wasn't a HOFer but considering we landed Owens too, it all equaled out. I harbor no I'll feelings towards Stokes and his time as a Niner.

This

Stokes was running in the 4.7 range. They are not comparable at all......
Originally posted by SanDiego49er:

This

Stokes was running in the 4.7 range. They are not comparable at all......

4.7.... not true.

Stokes was clocked at 4.54 in Santa Clara.
[ Edited by CWin4949 on Apr 26, 2014 at 7:23 PM ]
Only wr we need to trade up for is Watkins

Originally posted by FredFlintstone:
Only wr we need to trade up for is Watkins

Agree
I still would pick Evans if Roman promises to figure out how to get the ball to him. And CK promises to get the ball to him. Interestingly, his drop rate and RZ TD % rate are top 3 amongst all WRs last year. Not bad.
Trade up to #5 for Evans? No thanks. Maybe up to 8 at most for him. I wouldnt be opposed to trading up to #5 for Watkins tho.
  • kray28
  • Veteran
Hopefully Evans is a smokescreen to misdirect other teams from the 49ers' real target: Marqise Lee
Originally posted by kray28:
Hopefully Evans is a smokescreen to misdirect other teams from the 49ers' real target: Marqise Lee

This is a joke right?
Share 49ersWebzone