LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 309 users in the forums

49ers Targeting Mike Evans?

Originally posted by NinerBuff:
Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:
Originally posted by Wisconsin49erfan:
It is a risky strategy. There are draft busts in the top 10 all the time.

After the 2012 draft, another bad pick could cripple this franchise long-term. The key to success in the NFL is consistently drafting for 2-3 years in the future, people tend to only look at immediate needs, but looking at replacing guys down the road is how you keep a winning team together. If you draft one guy, he may or may not be a bust, if you draft 5 or 6, you're basically guaranteed to at least hit on a few of those guys. In a draft that is loaded in the middle rounds, I don't see a lot of sense in trading away a bunch of draft capital for a single player.

49ers have needs at CB, WR and need depth at S, C and a few other positions. If there's someone between 15-20 that they like a lot, I imagine that they would trade up for them but I don't see them trading up into the top 10, especially after what happened to Atlanta last season. The only players I think are worth giving up that much draft capital for are a franchise QB or an elite pass rusher.

I agree wholeheartedly.

I guess what we're saying is that with our draft capital, we can afford to take that chance, and still have a few guys left in reserve (3rd, 4th, 5th round guys) to represent the 2015-2017 timeframe...

After all, that was the strategy behind drafting Vance, Tank, Lattimore, Patton, and Lemonier... not specific needs, but long term investments.

Evans fills multiple holes: future #1 WR who doesn't have to shine day one. He becomes the heir apparent to Crabs when/if he leaves. He also has speed and size that would give opponents fits when trying to matchup with him and Davis...

You said it better than I did. Well done, and exactly what I am thinking.
There is no way that is the Falcons draft. It could have been yes, but that wasn't going to happen.

The 49ers traded a 1st a 2nd and a 3rd to get Jerry Rice ... in retrospect we know that was a good trade ... right?

In 1985 they could have had Randall Cunningham, Andre Reed, and Kevin Greene. And I'm okay with the trade to get Rice.

The Falcons also could have instead traded up to the 11th pick and taken JJ Watt and kept their 2012 first round pick.

We can go on forever, but the Falcons are struggling not just because of one trade but because of a bunch of issues that have compounded things. The Texans didn't make a blockbuster trade and they fell from Super Bowl favorite to first pick in the draft in 1 year.

When the Falcons made the trade they were doing it because they felt they had 95% of what they needed to win a title and Jones was significant in transforming the team. They didn't know the team's health would fall apart at the time.
Originally posted by Scoots:
There is no way that is the Falcons draft. It could have been yes, but that wasn't going to happen.

The 49ers traded a 1st a 2nd and a 3rd to get Jerry Rice ... in retrospect we know that was a good trade ... right?

In 1985 they could have had Randall Cunningham, Andre Reed, and Kevin Greene. And I'm okay with the trade to get Rice.

The Falcons also could have instead traded up to the 11th pick and taken JJ Watt and kept their 2012 first round pick.

We can go on forever, but the Falcons are struggling not just because of one trade but because of a bunch of issues that have compounded things. The Texans didn't make a blockbuster trade and they fell from Super Bowl favorite to first pick in the draft in 1 year.

When the Falcons made the trade they were doing it because they felt they had 95% of what they needed to win a title and Jones was significant in transforming the team. They didn't know the team's health would fall apart at the time.

Actually, using Phoenix logic, we should have used our 1st, 2nd and 3rd picks in 1985 on Cunningham, Reed and Herschel Walker. Then, we could trade Walker to the Minnesota Vikings.........
is evans that much better than kelvin Benjamin, who niners could probably sit back and take with their #30 pick in rd 1?
Last we we made 11 draft picks. Several went to IR and only 5 contributed in any significant manner. This year, at least two of those picks (Carrandine and Lattimore) are expected to be significant contributors.

So, those who said this last season were right.

How many roster spots do you suggest this draft will fill? More than 5 or 6?

Here is something to ponder the statement only 5 or 6 will make the team. Who has a better shot at making the team, the first to forth rounders or the fifth to seventh rounders. Even if you trade those early picks, will those late picks make the team? Those that fail to make the team will be in the later rounds. rounds that you look for that surprise diamond in the rough, that maybe you can sneak onto the practice squad.

Also, trading that 5th to seventh rounders away has no value if you are trying to move up in the first round. I will not be surprised if the niners trade up, but not into the top ten. They may at best trade as much as a first, second and third rounder, but that won't get into the top 10, unless you get a willing trading partner who is willing to take less like Dallas did last year.

Plus, this year, there is a lot more openings than you might realize, all those guys that the niners signed to one year deal are not locks to make the team, Wright, Parish Cox, and even Cooks might not make it if the niners see a surprise late rounder out preforming them and those are just the CB, don't forget, last years starting center is not with the team, not to mention Carlos and Brown are no longer with the team. Culliver is a question mark. Bowman is going to be on IR to begin with, plus wr has only 3 guarenteed spots. There are a lot more than realized. Plus the niners could do what they have done in the past, trade away a current special team player for a late rounder if they find someone they can get the job done that is cheeper.
I do like Evens background as a former basketball player ala Gonzales and David Gates, however, although I think he will be a good player, I don't think trading away the farm is a good thing, especially given the niners offensive phillosophy. Also, one has to ask, how much was Manziel's scrambling the reason for Evans sucess, as defenses broke down and lost containment because they left him or caused them to hesitate?
If he was there at #13 I would say go up and get him, but he wont be.
I agree that it is more likely that we trade up 10 spots and not 25 spots. I know ODB is a webzone favorite, but I also see on of the CB's or Lee as other potential targets.

I'd only trade up for Dennard at CB, but there are mocks putting him between11-15, but if he fell to Cowboys/Ravens picks, we should trade up for him. My favorite trade would be:

Niners trade #30 and our two 3rd round picks to the Cowboys for #16 and Morris Claiborne.

I know I have pushed for us to snag Claiborne before, and that is because:

1. He is playing Tampa 2 and he is a press man-to-man corner, limiting his success. His athleticism and great press coverage was strong throughout his time at LSU.

2. Former Top 10 draft pick who hasn't lived to expectations who needs change of scenery.

3. Started in the backfield with Eric Reid, Tyran Matheiu, and Patrick Peterson at LSU. Not only will he be able to work with Reid, but will have insight into the two players on the Cardinals and how they can be manipulated.

4. We would have two 1st round CBs (Dennard/Claiborne) to play in Fangio's defense which fits to their strengths DRASTICALLY.

If we do this, we could focus on getting WRs like Jordan Matthews (my favorite), Donte Moncrief, Paul Richardson (not my favorite, but an option), Kelvin Benjamin (still an option), Martavius Bryant (6'5 speedster? Daymn...), and Bruce Ellington (great stretcher of the field).

As for the ODB vs Lee:
Between ODB and Lee, both are pretty good players. They both have produced in career, both as starters and punt/kick returners, but I find ODB being the better prospect as a speedster and run blocker. Also, he could play both slot and outside, as shown by his dominance over Jason Verrett (125yds receiving with over 5 catches) and multiple double coverage. Lee could provide that "IT" factor that is found in great players, seeing he produced with the worst grouping of USC QBs in over 30 years and was the scariest threat on both offense and STs. Only knocks on him or his 40 speed [Insert Jerry's 4.66 here] and his injuries, but he's shown to be completely healed. Overall, though, ODB I think would fit better, especially with his blocking ability included.
I hate to admit it, but the combine actually sold me on Beckham (as opposed to actual games, which I haven't seen much of his) - stood out as one of the most fluid route runners, coupled with his return experience. Would have no issues at all trading up for him. But Justin Gilbert could also fill a need positionally, as well as handling returns.

As for people bringing up cutting Gore again - at this stage it doesn't seem to offer much benefits to do that. We save some of his salary, but there aren't the high level free agents at this stage to spend it on. It's $6m we can put towards Kap/Iupati/Aldon/Crabtree/whoever next year. There is no obligation to pay any of these guys now, and some would likely want to wait it out anyway with a bit of brinkmanship/free agency testing.

As for this trade up - I still don't see us moving that high - but if we did it could be for someone other than Evans. And as others mentioned if we could move up like last year - about 12-14 places, and it only costs a 3rd - then that seems more likely.

But if the team think this class is as deep at WR and CB as some suggest - and they believe we will start the season with Brock and Culliver at CB, and Boldin, Crabtree, Gore, Miller, Vernon as starters on offense, then we are talking about looking at a nickel CB or a rarely use 3rd WR - then surely we should be looking at the WRs and CBs that are a bit lower with high potential.

If we move up to number 5 it has to be for someone to start NOW due to the extreme cost involved.

(I know Culliver is not a guarantee to start and Boldin & Crabtree could be gone in a year or two - but it all depends on how the team evaluate what we have. I do like Evans, but am not convinced he is worth the cost - unless the cost to move to 5 is lower than I think it will be.)
Originally posted by WildBill:
I do like Evens background as a former basketball player ala Gonzales and David Gates, however, although I think he will be a good player, I don't think trading away the farm is a good thing, especially given the niners offensive phillosophy. Also, one has to ask, how much was Manziel's scrambling the reason for Evans sucess, as defenses broke down and lost containment because they left him or caused them to hesitate?
Its spelled Gonzalez. And who's David Gates? Do you mean Antonio Gates?

Originally posted by Crazy49er1313:
I'd only trade up for Dennard at CB, but there are mocks putting him between11-15, but if he fell to Cowboys/Ravens picks, we should trade up for him. My favorite trade would be:

Niners trade #30 and our two 3rd round picks to the Cowboys for #16 and Morris Claiborne.

I know I have pushed for us to snag Claiborne before, and that is because:

1. He is playing Tampa 2 and he is a press man-to-man corner, limiting his success. His athleticism and great press coverage was strong throughout his time at LSU.

2. Former Top 10 draft pick who hasn't lived to expectations who needs change of scenery.

3. Started in the backfield with Eric Reid, Tyran Matheiu, and Patrick Peterson at LSU. Not only will he be able to work with Reid, but will have insight into the two players on the Cardinals and how they can be manipulated.

4. We would have two 1st round CBs (Dennard/Claiborne) to play in Fangio's defense which fits to their strengths DRASTICALLY.

If we do this, we could focus on getting WRs like Jordan Matthews (my favorite), Donte Moncrief, Paul Richardson (not my favorite, but an option), Kelvin Benjamin (still an option), Martavius Bryant (6'5 speedster? Daymn...), and Bruce Ellington (great stretcher of the field).

As for the ODB vs Lee:
Between ODB and Lee, both are pretty good players. They both have produced in career, both as starters and punt/kick returners, but I find ODB being the better prospect as a speedster and run blocker. Also, he could play both slot and outside, as shown by his dominance over Jason Verrett (125yds receiving with over 5 catches) and multiple double coverage. Lee could provide that "IT" factor that is found in great players, seeing he produced with the worst grouping of USC QBs in over 30 years and was the scariest threat on both offense and STs. Only knocks on him or his 40 speed [Insert Jerry's 4.66 here] and his injuries, but he's shown to be completely healed. Overall, though, ODB I think would fit better, especially with his blocking ability included.

Would probably shore up our CB situation for years to come......I like it.
If we move up that much for a receiver it had better be Watkins.
Last we we made 11 draft picks. Several went to IR and only 5 contributed in any significant manner. This year, at least two of those picks (Carrandine and Lattimore) are expected to be significant contributors.

So, those who said this last season were right.

How many roster spots do you suggest this draft will fill? More than 5 or 6?

Here is something to ponder the statement only 5 or 6 will make the team. Who has a better shot at making the team, the first to forth rounders or the fifth to seventh rounders. Even if you trade those early picks, will those late picks make the team? Those that fail to make the team will be in the later rounds. rounds that you look for that surprise diamond in the rough, that maybe you can sneak onto the practice squad.

Also, trading that 5th to seventh rounders away has no value if you are trying to move up in the first round. I will not be surprised if the niners trade up, but not into the top ten. They may at best trade as much as a first, second and third rounder, but that won't get into the top 10, unless you get a willing trading partner who is willing to take less like Dallas did last year.

Plus, this year, there is a lot more openings than you might realize, all those guys that the niners signed to one year deal are not locks to make the team, Wright, Parish Cox, and even Cooks might not make it if the niners see a surprise late rounder out preforming them and those are just the CB, don't forget, last years starting center is not with the team, not to mention Carlos and Brown are no longer with the team. Culliver is a question mark. Bowman is going to be on IR to begin with, plus wr has only 3 guarenteed spots. There are a lot more than realized. Plus the niners could do what they have done in the past, trade away a current special team player for a late rounder if they find someone they can get the job done that is cheeper.

WildBill, I agree with you on this point. Your chances of drafting successful players increase the higher the draft pick. My point isn't that trading up into the top 10 is the best option. (Elsewhere in the forums I suggest that my preferred course of action are several smaller trade ups to target ODB or Lee in the first, Demarcus Lawrence, if available, in early second, and best CB available in the 2nd). My point is only that trading into the top 10 is not a terrible option as others in this forum have suggested. If the 49ers love Evans, then they should trade into the top 10 to get him.
  • Rascal
  • Veteran
Not that I don't like the Mike Evans pick, in fact if we were to trade up for a wideout, Mike Evans would be the only guy I would go for. However, to trade up that high is like a "putting all eggs in one basket" kind of a move which to me is just too costly and risky. I am not talking about stockpiling picks neither cos we do genuinely have holes to fill on the roster. It will have a considerable impact to our 2nd and 3rd round picks which needless to say will affect the quality of players we select in the remaining rounds.
Originally posted by Travisty13:
Its spelled Gonzalez. And who's David Gates? Do you mean Antonio Gates?

david gates-lead singer of Bread????
Share 49ersWebzone