There are 85 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

30th Pick: Whoa! Both Brandin Cooks and AND Jason Verrett are available. What do you do?

30th Pick: Whoa! Both Brandin Cooks and AND Jason Verrett are available. What do you do?

Originally posted by 49ersJordan:
Completely agree. Put up monster numbers. I love this kid. Usually I'm not big on dudes from non-popular schools, but you can't deny talent. This kid is way better than AJ forsure. Draft him in the 2nd? Where's he projected?
Originally posted by Rascal:
You are right, his football speed doesn't look fast to me at all. The other thing is I have a feeling a lot of people subconsciously equate speed to small WRs. As far as I am concerned, you don't have to be small to be fast. But, on the subject of football speed, I think Paul Richardson has it, in particular his run after the catch is pretty impressive.

If we could get this kid in the 2nd or 3rd round, we could essentially trade up in the first to grab Denard or Gilbert. This is more of what we need anyway when you look at immediate contribution. I don't see a rookie WR unseating Crabtree or Boldin anyway, heck it would even be hard to take time from Patton or Lloyd at this point. So why waste a first round pick on a guy (Cook) that won't see the field?
[ Edited by glorydayz on Apr 24, 2014 at 2:01 PM ]
I'll role with Verrett. He seems to have the instincts, ball skills, technique, athleticism, and overall mentality to be an exceptional corner, both outside and in the slot. Plus I tend to value corners over receivers.

Cooks is an explosive player, but I'm not convinced this staff will know what to do with him. We haven't shown the ability to incorporate smaller, speedier guys in the offense. I'd want Cooks predominantly in the slot, or at flanker, in 3 WR formations. Crabs and Boldin get all the snaps at those positions, and I fear Cooks will be a square peg in a round hole here. I want a big, vertical threat like Moncrief or Latimer to line up at Split End.

All that is just my opinion though. I'm sure people feel differently.
Cooks. All day.
Verrett!!!! CBis #1 need!! 2 of top 3 picks need to be CB's!!!!
Originally posted by 60sFan:
Beckham over Cooks

well yeah...

Beckham >>>> Verrett >> Cooks
Originally posted by Timdiz:
Is it me or does Cooks doesn't really look all that fast on tape? I haven't a single play where's taken he's taken a bomb to the house. I know he was one of the fastest at the combine, but his game speed isn't all that impressive to me.

He looks really fast on tape
I would take Beckham too.
Originally posted by glorydayz:
Originally posted by 49ersJordan:
Completely agree. Put up monster numbers. I love this kid. Usually I'm not big on dudes from non-popular schools, but you can't deny talent. This kid is way better than AJ forsure. Draft him in the 2nd? Where's he projected?
Originally posted by Rascal:
You are right, his football speed doesn't look fast to me at all. The other thing is I have a feeling a lot of people subconsciously equate speed to small WRs. As far as I am concerned, you don't have to be small to be fast. But, on the subject of football speed, I think Paul Richardson has it, in particular his run after the catch is pretty impressive.

If we could get this kid in the 2nd or 3rd round, we could essentially trade up in the first to grab Denard or Gilbert. This is more of what we need anyway when you look at immediate contribution. I don't see a rookie WR unseating Crabtree or Boldin anyway, heck it would even be hard to take time from Patton or Lloyd at this point. So why waste a first round pick on a guy (Cook) that won't see the field?

I like him, too. His instant acceleration and body control are great, and his top end speed is a difference-maker. He doesn't block much, which could be okay if he is properly alligned to run-off his defender, but he doesn't return kicks, right? Are we gonna use a small WR (who might be 4 on the depth chart), if he can't return? Do we want to be in a place where Devon Wylie suits every week just to return kicks and punts?

If he returns punts/kicks, this whole post was obviously a clever joke.
Originally posted by sf_nicoya:
Verrett. Best cover corner in the draft will upgrade our secondary big time especially with the amount of time spent in nickel.

agreed.
Originally posted by Mr.Mcgibblets:
Originally posted by 60sFan:
Beckham over Cooks

well yeah...

Beckham >>>> Verrett >> Cooks

He's impressive for sure. He doesn't appear to be as fast as the Bryants, Moncriefs, Archers, Reeses, and Richardsons in this draft, but he gets it done, and he basically lived on downfield receptions. That said, if Beckham goes in the early-mid teens, I don't want him. Too much talent to throw away our impressive draft capital on one player who won't start this year.
Originally posted by DonnieDarko:
Is it me or does Cooks doesn't really look all that fast on tape? I haven't a single play where's taken he's taken a bomb to the house. I know he was one of the fastest at the combine, but his game speed isn't all that impressive to me.

He looks really fast on tape

See i thought the same thing. i thought he looked incredibly fast on tape.
I don't want us trading up in the first round unless it's to take Dennard or Gilbert. However if the niners insist on moving up for a receiver the only guy I'd like to see us grab in the mid teens at the position is Beckham. Cooks is a great talent but I prefer Beckham's size and play speed and his vision.
Originally posted by Hoovtrain:
Would you grab Richburg over the other guy you liked, Bitonio? i read some good stuff on him after you were raving about him. I am intrigued by what i read and in particular his versatility, being able to play T/G/C. He could pay dividends in more ways than one. Whoever is the BPA though is fine by me. As you stated, WR/CB can be had later, as there is comparable talent in the 2/3 rounds.

Really like both kids. Bitonio might be a pick for the Seahawks if we pass. Really versatile and tough. Team has to address center position and depth on interior line in case Iupati leaves after this year
  • LVJay
  • Veteran
FO will look the other way with their noses high in the air like snobs

It's you.