LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 321 users in the forums

30th Pick: Whoa! Both Brandin Cooks and AND Jason Verrett are available. What do you do?

30th Pick: Whoa! Both Brandin Cooks and AND Jason Verrett are available. What do you do?

Originally posted by SanDiego49er:
Combine = 4.33.

Game speed = 4.50.

Totally overrated guy.

What I like about Cooks is his toughness, his ability to catch everything & anything thrown his way. The man had 6 10+ catch games in 2013, not to mention 2 9 catch games where he accumulated 210 & 168 yards. If that isn't impressive enough he was able to do all of that while being double & even triple covered. The man is a walking offense.
  • evil
  • Veteran
Originally posted by CorvaNinerFan:
Neither...take Fuller. Reason I say that is if Baalke takes Cooks he could miss out on Matthews, Adams or one of the other big WR's because he'll likely pick a CB, maybe another position early. I think it's critical he drafts Crabtree's replacement...so for that reason I'm hoping CB first (Fuller projects more versatility, has long arms and has ST value), then one of the big WR's. TB can take Ellington to get that quick slot guy later.

So you believe Crabtree shouldn't be re-signed or he'll price himself out of what we value him at ? We could easily tag him and look to trade him or keep him around 1 more year under the tag and take his replacement in the 2015 draft (or possibly even replace him through FA).

Also if Crabtree does leave, do you not think Cooks could develop into his replacement ? We don't NEED to replace Crabtree with a "big WR".
Tuitt
Beckham over Cooks
Originally posted by Timdiz:
Is it me or does Cooks doesn't really look all that fast on tape? I haven't a single play where's taken he's taken a bomb to the house. I know he was one of the fastest at the combine, but his game speed isn't all that impressive to me.

It's not just you. He really does not play to his timed speed. He's obviously not slow. He is overall a decently fast player, likely in the mid-to-upper 4.4 range on the field, but he is a lot like AJ Jenkins in the sense he simply does not have that breakaway-leave-the-defenders-in-the-dust speed that players like Watkins, Moncrief, and Bryant have. Those players timed in the low 4.4s, but on the field you can tell they are faster. I'd take the first two in that list over Cooks.
[ Edited by OnTheClock on Apr 24, 2014 at 11:19 AM ]
Originally posted by 60sFan:
Beckham over Cooks

Ding Ding Ding!
  • Rascal
  • Veteran
Originally posted by OnTheClock:
Originally posted by Timdiz:
Is it me or does Cooks doesn't really look all that fast on tape? I haven't a single play where's taken he's taken a bomb to the house. I know he was one of the fastest at the combine, but his game speed isn't all that impressive to me.

It's not just you. He really does not play to his timed speed. He's obviously not slow. He is overall a decently fast player, likely in the mid-to-upper 4.4 range on the field, but he is a lot like AJ Jenkins in the sense he simply does not have that breakaway-leave-the-defenders-in-the-dust speed that players like Watkins, Moncrief, and Bryant have. Those players timed in the low 4.4s, but on the field you can tell they are faster. I'd take the first two in that list over Cooks.

You are right, his football speed doesn't look fast to me at all. The other thing is I have a feeling a lot of people subconsciously equate speed to small WRs. As far as I am concerned, you don't have to be small to be fast. But, on the subject of football speed, I think Paul Richardson has it, in particular his run after the catch is pretty impressive.

I could not agree more.

Originally posted by genus49:
Verrett. The drop from him to the other corners is much more than Cooks to the other receivers imo. I like Cooks but everyone here is acting like he's Calvin Johnson's mini me.

I'll take Verrett then a big receiver in the 2nd and Bruce Ellington in the 3rd for slot/return duty.
Originally posted by Rascal:
You are right, his football speed doesn't look fast to me at all. The other thing is I have a feeling a lot of people subconsciously equate speed to small WRs. As far as I am concerned, you don't have to be small to be fast. But, on the subject of football speed, I think Paul Richardson has it, in particular his run after the catch is pretty impressive.

I agree. To me this guy is the deadliest vertical threat in the entire draft. The way he accelerates off the line, getting to top speed very fast is impressive and he doesnt miss a beat even when jab stepping. his style of play is very similar to desean jackson.
[ Edited by sf_nicoya on Apr 24, 2014 at 12:23 PM ]
Whoever is the BPA

Originally posted by Hoovtrain:
Whoever is the BPA

Agreed. Always have to draft the BPA, as long as it fits your scheme.

However, if it came down to Cooks or Verrett, Cooks for sure.
Originally posted by MadDog49er:
Whoever is the BPA

Agreed. Always have to draft the BPA, as long as it fits your scheme.

However, if it came down to Cooks or Verrett, Cooks for sure.

so between those 2, Cooks would be considered the better prospect at his position than Verrett would at his? This draft seems a bit weird. I feel like there is comparable talent and better value in round 2 than 1. The WR's and CB's at the end of the 1st, you could feasibly grab guys just as good in the 2nd. i guess it all depends on how guys like Cook/Verrett vs. guys like Gaines/Joyner/Moncrief/etc are valued by the evaluators.
so between those 2, Cooks would be considered the better prospect at his position than Verrett would at his? This draft seems a bit weird. I feel like there is comparable talent and better value in round 2 than 1. The WR's and CB's at the end of the 1st, you could feasibly grab guys just as good in the 2nd. i guess it all depends on how guys like Cook/Verrett vs. guys like Gaines/Joyner/Moncrief/etc are valued by the evaluators.

True. If the team wants to anchor their center position, they better grab Weston Richburg at 30, because he is not going to fall much further. He is my number one center, and the dropoff from him to Martin is pretty big.

The depth is at WR and CB, so the team could wait a bit to grab those positions.
Originally posted by MadDog49er:

True. If the team wants to anchor their center position, they better grab Weston Richburg at 30, because he is not going to fall much further. He is my number one center, and the dropoff from him to Martin is pretty big.

The depth is at WR and CB, so the team could wait a bit to grab those positions.

Would you grab Richburg over the other guy you liked, Bitonio? i read some good stuff on him after you were raving about him. I am intrigued by what i read and in particular his versatility, being able to play T/G/C. He could pay dividends in more ways than one. Whoever is the BPA though is fine by me. As you stated, WR/CB can be had later, as there is comparable talent in the 2/3 rounds.
Completely agree. Put up monster numbers. I love this kid. Usually I'm not big on dudes from non-popular schools, but you can't deny talent. This kid is way better than AJ forsure. Draft him in the 2nd? Where's he projected?
Originally posted by Rascal:

Share 49ersWebzone