There are 177 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

DraftCountdown's latest mock draft (3-rounder)

#30 - MARQISE LEE, WR, USC

The Niners are basically loaded on both sides of the ball which puts them in the envious position of not necessarily having to draft for need. Instead they have the flexibility to stay true to their evaluations and grab the best talent on the board with an eye toward the future. In this instance it may be possible to land a player who will help in both the short and long-term. San Francisco's passing attack ranked near the bottom of the league last season and that was with Anquan Boldin, who is now in his mid-thirties, and Michael Crabtree, who is entering the final year of his contract. With nothing but question marks beyond those two it's imperative that the 49ers add a top young pass catcher (or two). USC WR Marqise Lee is an explosive athlete with excellent speed who is not only a big play waiting to happen but also relatively well-rounded and polished. Lee did not develop into the elite prospect that many envisioned early in his college career, in part due to a disappointing junior season, some durability issues and concerns about his hands. However, Lee would be a perfect compliment to Crabtree and Boldin and give the 49ers offense a dynamic, big play dimension that they are currently lacking. Other options at the position could include Brandin Cooks of Oregon St., Odell Beckham of L.S.U. and Kelvin Benjamin of Florida St. The Niners might also be in the market for a cornerback and while Kyle Fuller of Virginia Tech will likely be gone they could look at Bradley Roby of Ohio St. or Jason Verrett of T.C.U. San Francisco could stand to bolster their defensive line depth as well and potential fits include Notre Dame DT Louis Nix, Minnesota DE Ra'Shede Hageman and Notre Dame DE Stephon Tuitt. Keep an eye on outside linebacker too because Aldon Smith's off-the-field issues have left his future in doubt and they could consider adding insurance if not a replacement in the form of Kony Ealy of Missouri, Demarcus Lawrence of Boise St. or Dee Ford of Auburn. Also if any team can legitimately justify going the "Best Player Available" route it's the Niners.

#56 - BASHAUD BREELAND, CB, CLEMSON

Will require some patience and development but is a big, athletic and super aggressive cover guy.

#61 - ED STINSON, DE, ALABAMA

Prototypical five-tech to develop as a potential replacement for Justin Smith or Ray McDonald.

# 77 - TRENT MURPHY, OLB, STANFORD

A large, intense, physical, aggressive 'backer with a non-stop motor and incredible intangibles.

#94 - CHARLES SIMS, RB, WEST VIRGINIA

Frank Gore has a lot of miles on his tires and Kendall Hunter only has a year left on his contract.

#100 - AARON COLVIN, CB, OKLAHOMA

Might have gone much earlier if not for a knee injury but worth taking a chance on at this point.

BASH AWAY
  • xcfan
  • Veteran
to me, in the nfl, murphy is an undersized 4-3 end only.
in this draft, stinson looks like 4th round material to me.
like the other picks.
[ Edited by xcfan on Apr 23, 2014 at 1:00 PM ]
  • DeUh
I love the Stinson and Colvin picks though a 2nd rounder for Stinson is a little too high for my taste. I think he will be available in the 4th.

A few notes I have on Stinson: Very motivated high character prospect who plays with a high mototr has long arms shows great work ethic and is very durable ( played in 48 games the last 4 years ).Flashes terrific power and strength at the point of attack. Very good against the run. Controls blockers with ease and shed blocks well. Needs to learn more pass rush moves though shows a very impressive bull rush. Like Justin Smith and Ray McDonald he does all the dirty work and is much more disruptive than his numbers indicate.Played against top notch competition in the SEC.
[ Edited by DeUh on Apr 23, 2014 at 12:50 PM ]
I'm sure some people will hate this mock, but it's not too shabby. I'm a big fan of Marqise Lee. I think he's been over-analyzed and critiqued to the point where he is now underrated, and I love that he might be there at #30. Kid is a baller.

Seems like everyone has Breeland in their mocks these days. Baalke had dinner with him, so I guess that's a sign of interest. Personally, I feel that him and Stinson are reaches in the 2nd round. I don't see them as top 60 players in this draft. Not bad prospects though.
Not a fan of Lee

Really like Breeland AND

Stinson is a very solid pick BUT maybe in the 4th

Stashing Colvin would be s VERY good move.
I like the idea of stashing Colvin, but not before the 4th, and preferably in the 5th. He was looking to go 2-3 before the injury, and he's not playing this year, for sure.

If Lee drops to 30, I'd be cool getting him, but only if he's healthy and are staff is confident they can help him stay that way. He was a freak bfore he got all the nagging injuries in 2013.

I know Breeland is rated in the 2nd by most, but he looks like a 3 to me in this draft.
Too many reaches. Colvin will have to redshirt for a year. Better to wait till at least the 4th rd and maybe the 5th rd to draft him.
I actually like this website. But this is a bad draft for the niners. We need a CB that can play sooner rather than later. We need a WR with more speed than Lee. Stinson, Murphy, Sims and Colvin aren't bad for depth.
  • xcfan
  • Veteran
passing on bruce ellington in the third round and taking cement-hipped murphy would be a tragedy.
Think about this. People will draft clowney hoping he makes a difference when we have smith the player any nfl team hopes clowney could be. I hope we find a way to keep smith headaches and all.
  • jimrat
  • Veteran
Don't see what all the buzz is with this Breeland guy, I really hope we don't draft him
Not sure why people don't like Lee. People said the same thing about Keenan Allen last year and they were all wrong.
[ Edited by T-9ers on Apr 23, 2014 at 7:35 PM ]
Originally posted by T-9ers:
Not sure why people don't like Lee. People said the same thing about Keenan Allen last year and they were all wrong.

some people like to downgrade him because he is a usc receiver, but those who do should not forget that robert woods, another usc receiver, had a good rookie year for the bills
I'd be drooling over the prospect of Louis Nix at 42 & Jordan Matthews at 60.