There are 150 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

Cody Latimer, WR, Indiana... all hype? or overlooked awesomeness?

Originally posted by OnTheClock:

I would be ECSTATIC to have either player, but Moncrief has the slight edge.

I was high on Moncrief... am still high on him... but the big thing for me... especially having a QB like Kaep? Give me the guy with the better hands. I'm not sure anyone would try and debate whether Moncrief has better hands.. I think it rather clear that he doesn't. He catches some nice passes away from his body every now and then... he goes up for the ball every now and then... but it's infrequent enough to be a concern. To me, I have them both rated fairly close... but the better hands and aggression to go get the ball comes from Latimer.. so he has the edge for me.
Originally posted by Mr.Mcgibblets:

I was high on Moncrief... am still high on him... but the big thing for me... especially having a QB like Kaep? Give me the guy with the better hands. I'm not sure anyone would try and debate whether Moncrief has better hands.. I think it rather clear that he doesn't. He catches some nice passes away from his body every now and then... he goes up for the ball every now and then... but it's infrequent enough to be a concern. To me, I have them both rated fairly close... but the better hands and aggression to go get the ball comes from Latimer.. so he has the edge for me.

Speaking in terms of who I'd want? It's even. As a prospect, I think Moncrief has the edge and most teams probably see it that way. But personally, I see the upside in both guys and think both have the size, speed, blocking, and playmaking ability to be long-time NFL starters. Moncrief gives you a little bit more in terms of a vertical threat and potentially lessened learning curve and competitive adjustment, based on system and level of competition.

Lots of factors to evaluate. Think if we were able to somehow get both? We'd be set for years. Won't happen, but I'd love it. Personally, I think we should take the approach that the best teams typically do, which is do three things:

1) Stock up on players at positions where the lack of an impact player is the greatest
2) Stock up on players at the positions of the weakest overall depth
3) Add players in preparation for future holes

WR matches all three of those qualifications (one part one, it's more an impact slot WR). Lots of question marks. Boldin's age/sustainability, Crabtree contract, Patton's unprovenness. Lloyd having been out for a year and only on a one-year deal. We should really add two WRs, but drafting two early would either mean Lloyd is cut, Osgood is cut, someone is traded, or we run with 7 WRs. If it were me, I'd still draft two regardless. The depth is so great, there is bound to be a player at a spot he wouldn't be in any other draft.
[ Edited by OnTheClock on Apr 23, 2014 at 10:52 AM ]
Originally posted by Mr.Mcgibblets:

Speaking in terms of who I'd want? It's even. As a prospect, I think Moncrief has the edge and most teams probably see it that way. But personally, I see the upside in both guys and think both have the size, speed, blocking, and playmaking ability to be long-time NFL starters. Moncrief gives you a little bit more in terms of a vertical threat and potentially lessened learning curve and competitive adjustment, based on system and level of competition.

Lots of factors to evaluate. Think if we were able to somehow get both? We'd be set for years. Won't happen, but I'd love it. Personally, I think we should take the approach that the best teams typically do, which is do three things:

1) Stock up on players at positions where the lack of an impact player is the greatest
2) Stock up on players at the positions of the weakest overall depth
3) Add players in preparation for future holes

WR matches all three of those qualifications (one part one, it's more an impact slot WR). Lots of question marks. Boldin's age/sustainability, Crabtree contract, Patton's unprovenness. Lloyd having been out for a year and only on a one-year deal. We should really add two WRs, but drafting two early would either mean Lloyd is cut, Osgood is cut, someone is traded, or we run with 7 WRs. If it were me, I'd still draft two regardless. The depth is so great, there is bound to be a player at a spot he wouldn't be in any other draft.

Damm you, dude. Now I'll be disappointed if we don't get Latimer and Moncrief. While we're at it, I also want Ellington. If this doesn't happen, I will declare Baalke a failure and a drunk.
  • xcfan
  • Veteran
latimer sure is a wild card--could be late first; could be late third. no one knows.
Whoa, this dude is the real Deal. WANT!!!!!
  • xcfan
  • Veteran
considering we only have one prime wr who may be gone in a year, two old wrs, and one maybe-decent 1st year guy, lets draft moncrief, latimer and ellington--and be set for the future.
Originally posted by xcfan:
considering we only have one prime wr who may be gone in a year, two old wrs, and one maybe-decent 1st year guy, lets draft moncrief, latimer and ellington--and pray that at least one of them works out.

FTFY
Wow, this kid.

Awesome. Looks like a football player.
From
http://www.draftinsider.net/blog/?p=9646

"After the workout Latimer met with most of the coaches on hand doing a bit of classroom work and spent extensive time with the 49ers"
Originally posted by Ice49er:
From
http://www.draftinsider.net/blog/?p=9646

"After the workout Latimer met with most of the coaches on hand doing a bit of classroom work and spent extensive time with the 49ers"

I think the bigger note is how much the Eagles our involved, especially with MadDog's projection of going to the Eagles.
Has there been a receiver in the draft the Niners have been spotted scouting as much as Cody Latimer? They met with him at his pro day and spent "extensive time" today with him again.
Originally posted by sf_nicoya:
Has there been a receiver in the draft the Niners have been spotted scouting as much as Cody Latimer? They met with him at his pro day and spent "extensive time" today with him again.

Which probably means that we have no intention of drafting him...
Originally posted by LottOfDefense:
I think the bigger note is how much the Eagles our involved, especially with MadDog's projection of going to the Eagles.

Definitely if MadDog says it will happen then it most certainly will happen.
Originally posted by sf_nicoya:

Certainly not the way this front office operates.

Anyone remember the year we drafted Mike Rumph? I was sure there's no way in hell we were going to draft him considering how many times we were associated with him pre-draft. I think everywhere Mike Rumph went the 49ers scouts/coaches/GM were that year.
Originally posted by genus49:
Originally posted by LottOfDefense:

Definitely if MadDog says it will happen then it most certainly will happen.

When the Eagles have their GM, head coach and their WR coach runs the drills at his individual workout, I would say they are heavily interested in Latimer. NFLN also had him going to Eagles on their tv mock last night.
[ Edited by LottOfDefense on Apr 26, 2014 at 7:17 AM ]