LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 262 users in the forums

Cody Latimer, WR, Indiana... all hype? or overlooked awesomeness?

Originally posted by OnTheClock:
Very good football player. Is he 1st round caliber? To one team, he might be. He certainly looks the part physically and skills wise, there isn't much that needs to be tweaked. Very few issues with his game, and easily coachable. So, it all will depend.

His strength, speed, and basketball background (high-pointing and grabbing the off passes) might be very attractive to a team early on. Guess that's why I love the draft... selections here and there always surprise us as reaches are great values.
between him and moncrief its not even close in my eyes. the simple fact that latimer NATURALLY utilizes his hands close and away from his body to point the ball gives him a big edge over moncrief. not only can he work the gos and bubble screens like moncrief, but hes better at working the inside of the field as well, being physical, out-muscling defenders(dude is stroong) and utilizing his body to get better leverage on contested balls. i cant stand how moncrief resorts to catching the ball with his body which reduces his catch radius by a lot and limits what he can on the field.

i like what i saw from cody at indiana
[ Edited by sf_nicoya on Apr 21, 2014 at 11:38 AM ]
Originally posted by Mr.Mcgibblets:
What is with all of this "he's raw" talk anyway? If you look at games played for all of the WRs that most feel are above him... then why is 32 games considered "raw"?

Latimer - 32

Watkins - 36 gp
Evans - 26
Lee - 36
Benjamin - 28
Cooks - 38
OBJ3 - 40
Adams - 26
Moncrief - 38
Mathews - 51

All those guys you mentioned have longer football backgrounds. Latimer didnt start playing until his junior year in high school and sparingly at best then.
I think he ends up being a late 2nd-mid 3rd guy.

I saw someone make the DJ Hayden comparison last year but different position and the draft class is so deep at his. Besides Latimer isn't a big speed guy which means Oakland won't be taking him early ;)
Very good football player. Is he 1st round caliber? To one team, he might be. He certainly looks the part physically and skills wise, there isn't much that needs to be tweaked. Very few issues with his game, and easily coachable. So, it all will depend.

Where do you have him ranked with the receivers in this draft?
I have Latimer at number 40 right now, and he should be drafted before Montcrief. I have no doubt the Niners will take a long look at him with their 30th pick.
Originally posted by MadDog49er:
I have Latimer at number 40 right now, and he should be drafted before Montcrief. I have no doubt the Niners will take a long look at him with their 30th pick.

cool! I don't know why, but I have worked myself into a position to where I really want him to be worth a 1st... and the more credible folks that think he is around that range justifies that want. Such a weird little human thing!
Really like Latimer.

I'm a huge Montcrief fan.

BUT, I feel Odell Beckham would be our best option and fit perfectly on our team.
[ Edited by LasVegasWally on Apr 21, 2014 at 3:13 PM ]
Latimer has better hands and Moncrief is a better athlete. I still think Latimer may be there at 56 or 61 and will be taken after Moncrief and Bryant. Bryant is intriguing but he seems like a straight line speed guy who would be more effective on go routes like he was in college but doesn't have the suddenness of Moncrief. Latimer is a possession receiver with some speed similar to Jordan Matthews in my opinion. I think Moncrief and Bryant will be taken before Latimer and Matthews, but Latimer and Matthews are safer prospects (especially Matthews).
Originally posted by Mr.Mcgibblets:
cool! I don't know why, but I have worked myself into a position to where I really want him to be worth a 1st... and the more credible folks that think he is around that range justifies that want. Such a weird little human thing!

You said it bud.

Originally posted by eastcoast49ersfan:
Latimer has better hands and Moncrief is a better athlete. I still think Latimer may be there at 56 or 61 and will be taken after Moncrief and Bryant. Bryant is intriguing but he seems like a straight line speed guy who would be more effective on go routes like he was in college but doesn't have the suddenness of Moncrief. Latimer is a possession receiver with some speed similar to Jordan Matthews in my opinion. I think Moncrief and Bryant will be taken before Latimer and Matthews, but Latimer and Matthews are safer prospects (especially Matthews).

If someone takes Bryant before Jordan Matthews they deserved to be flogged.
Originally posted by genus49:

CBS and Walter football both rank Bryant ahead of Matthews. I'm not saying Bryant should be taken before Matthews, but it wouldn't surprise me if he was. 6'4 receivers with Bryant's speed and decent hands aren't that common but he is one of the rawest prospects given he mainly ran go routes at Clemson and may need to add some more strength. I don't think Matthews will fall all the way to the 3rd round like CBS projects.
I just hope that he and Moncreif will still be available late 2nd round early 3rd round.
Originally posted by eastcoast49ersfan:
Originally posted by genus49:

CBS and Walter football both rank Bryant ahead of Matthews. I'm not saying Bryant should be taken before Matthews, but it wouldn't surprise me if he was. 6'4 receivers with Bryant's speed and decent hands aren't that common but he is one of the rawest prospects given he mainly ran go routes at Clemson and may need to add some more strength. I don't think Matthews will fall all the way to the 3rd round like CBS projects.

Bryant is going to go way high solely because of his speed/height combination. Sad that it happens, but it's always been like this. Teams can't seem to pass on the idea of having a tall burner on the team if they think he'll be a matchup nightmare.

I think Bryant is a decent, but very raw prospect.

I would argue that Latimer is a better prospect than both Matthews and Bryant. Vastly superior in strength (The guy looked like an offensive lineman against CBs in the blocking game), and natural hands with undeniable explosiveness. The level of competition and polish is the primary question mark, but if I had to choose between the two, Latimer's tape against Dennard showed that the former (level of competition) is clearly not an issue, and I would pick him above Matthews right now based on the upside to be the complete package at WR.
Bryant is going to go way high solely because of his speed/height combination. Sad that it happens, but it's always been like this. Teams can't seem to pass on the idea of having a tall burner on the team if they think he'll be a matchup nightmare.

I think Bryant is a decent, but very raw prospect.

I would argue that Latimer is a better prospect than both Matthews and Bryant. Vastly superior in strength (The guy looked like an offensive lineman against CBs in the blocking game), and natural hands with undeniable explosiveness. The level of competition and polish is the primary question mark, but if I had to choose between the two, Latimer's tape against Dennard showed that the former (level of competition) is clearly not an issue, and I would pick him above Matthews right now based on the upside to be the complete package at WR.

I'd take Matthews over Latimer for the consistent production while being pretty much the only guy on that offense. Would be happy with either guy but I love the consistency out of Matthews when everyone is trying to stop him.
Share 49ersWebzone