There are 351 users in the forums

Which of the second tier CB's would you take?

Originally posted by TheFunkyChicken:
Originally posted by maxsmart:
Originally posted by Harbaalke:
Originally posted by Jubwub88:
These second tier cb's seem good as first rounders...Nice cb draft.

Yes, better to pick two second tier guys than trade up for a first tier. Same with the WR's, the second tier is about as good as the first tier. So it's best to stock up 2nd, 3rd and 4th rd picks and get extra CB's and WR's to develop.

Like the greatest draft of all-time, the 49ers 1986 draft:
Traded down twice out of the first round and ended up without a first-round pick. But look at what they got: defensive tackle Larry Roberts in the second round; fullback Tom Rathman, cornerback Tim McKyer and receiver John Taylor in the third round; defensive end Charles Haley, offensive tackle Steve Wallace and defensive tackle Kevin f*gan in the fourth round; and cornerback Don Griffin in the sixth round. All eight were starters who helped form the foundation of two Super Bowl teams in San Francisco.

you do realize we have starters in place? We are in a different scenario at the moment

So you don't think that we could use a repeat of the greatest draft in history?

Trading up doesn't guarantee success. Multiple picks in a deep draft increase your chance of hitting the jackpot.

We could use: WR x 2, CB x 2, S, OLB, DE, OG, RB, QB = that's 10 players we could use

so yes we could definitely use several picks in rd 2-5 in a very deep draft

I'd probably try to work an ILB and maybe even a NT in there somewhere. Maybe in place of the OG, the DE or one of the CBs...

It's a sound approach and with Baalke, you know he's guaranteed to rape at least 1 GM while also stockpiling picks for next year as well.
Originally posted by NCommand:
Originally posted by TheFunkyChicken:
Originally posted by Harbaalke:
Originally posted by Jubwub88:
These second tier cb's seem good as first rounders...Nice cb draft.

Yes, better to pick two second tier guys than trade up for a first tier. Same with the WR's, the second tier is about as good as the first tier. So it's best to stock up 2nd, 3rd and 4th rd picks and get extra CB's and WR's to develop.

Like the greatest draft of all-time, the 49ers 1986 draft:
Traded down twice out of the first round and ended up without a first-round pick. But look at what they got: defensive tackle Larry Roberts in the second round; fullback Tom Rathman, cornerback Tim McKyer and receiver John Taylor in the third round; defensive end Charles Haley, offensive tackle Steve Wallace and defensive tackle Kevin f*gan in the fourth round; and cornerback Don Griffin in the sixth round. All eight were starters who helped form the foundation of two Super Bowl teams in San Francisco.

you do realize we have starters in place? We are in a different scenario at the moment

So you don't think that we could use a repeat of the greatest draft in history?

Trading up doesn't guarantee success. Multiple picks in a deep draft increase your chance of hitting the jackpot.

We could use: WR x 2, CB x 2, S, OLB, DE, OG, RB, QB = that's 10 players we could use

so yes we could definitely use several picks in rd 2-5 in a very deep draft

I'd probably try to work an ILB and maybe even a NT in there somewhere. Maybe in place of the OG, the DE or one of the CBs...

It's a sound approach and with Baalke, you know he's guaranteed to rape at least 1 GM while also stockpiling picks for next year as well.

Not quite the term I would use but essentially accurate.
  • buck
  • Veteran
NFL Films' Greg Cosell speculated that Northern Illinois S Jimmie Ward could end up as a slot corner in the NFL.

The analyst said on the "Ross Tucker Podcast" that Ward played that spot in sub packages at NIU and was "really, really good" at it. Cosell stressed that he likes Ward as a prospect and said that the Huskies' star has the "best man-to-man cover skills of the safeties in this class." However, he doesn't believe Ward (5-foot-10, 191 pounds) can be a "box player" at that size. Tucker, for the record, disagreed that Ward's size might move him off safety.

http://www.rotoworld.com/headlines/cfb/31477/latimer-to-work-out-for-nearly-every-team

I would not taking Ward in the second. Have him play the slot receiver and he would eventually take over for Bethea.
Since rapoport said ravens are looking to trade out and 49ers look to move up

trade up for Brandin Cooks

2nd round Bashaud Breeland (Baalke had diner with the kid)

Aggressive good tackler does well with Big WRs but weakness is fast Wrs

Gaines is a fast CB who can cover...but he's weak vs the run, not something I'd think Baalke would want. Based on the little we've heard WRT who he likes I'd say Watkins and Desir would be good picks. Breeland's definitely a possibility, but you never know what's a smokescreen and what's real interest.
After reading the article this morning on NBC online, it looks like Desir is definitely on the Niners radar. After watching the ESPN Draft Academy shows, I like what I see in this prospect. Definitely wouldn't mind seeing him in Scarlet and Gold.
Originally posted by m_brockalexander:
After reading the article this morning on NBC online, it looks like Desir is definitely on the Niners radar. After watching the ESPN Draft Academy shows, I like what I see in this prospect. Definitely wouldn't mind seeing him in Scarlet and Gold.

Totally agree. Apparently some question as to his speed, but that's got to be some kind of mixup--he looks extremely athletic.
Share 49ersWebzone