There are 58 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

OTC's Mockumentary Series: STRATEGY THREE 4/19/14

Change Roby with Verrett and its just about perfect!!!
I love it. I've been a Moncrief guy for a while, so that goes without saying.
[ Edited by GorefullBore on Apr 19, 2014 at 6:01 PM ]
No thanks on Dominique so early coming off an ACL. Can people say it with me? Enough ACL reclaimation projects.
I like the draft, and its the first one I've seen where we take Moncrief in the 1st (usually people have him going 2nd/3rd)

With the way his draft stock has been rising I could see us taking him 1st



I'm still unsure on whether I want Matthews or Moncreif... (not trying to start a moncreif v matthews debate lol)

But I think I would rather take Verrett than either of them.





I do like the mock though...
Thanks for doing your research, I can't stand seeing mocks that are unrealistic (I'm referring to the mocks you see with Tuitt in the 2nd and Matthews in the 3rd lol)
It's crazy how much you guys love moncrief. i watched plenty of ole miss and this guy was almost non-existant for huge portions of the games. most of the time he was nowhere to be found, ran a VERY rudimentary route tree and when the ball came his way he often would go to catch the ball with his body. this guy has a knack for dropping the easy catches and not the type of wide receiver you want catching a flamethrowing QB like kap. honestly he reminds me a lot of jon baldwin when he was pitt.




if it came down to taking a wide receiver with our first pick i would take jordan matthews easily over moncrief. cody latimer is another wide receiver to keep an eye on as well in day 2.
[ Edited by sf_nicoya on Apr 19, 2014 at 9:22 PM ]
Very well thought out and detailed mock. I applaud you for that.

I don't mind Moncrief in the 1st. He's a stud.

I don't like Roby. Seems like a very athletic bonehead and we have too many of those as it is.

I don't think Easley has the body for a 3-4 defense.

I like Marcus Smith.

I think Baalke will take Desir over Aikens. I just do. Has great character and long effing arms.

Again I like this mock. I would not be upset with this at all. I just dont LOOVE it.
I would be pissed if we wasted our first on Moncreif
Nice job as usual OTC
Originally posted by Travisty13:
Wasn't Aikens theft charge for the same thing Cam Newton did, stealing a computer?

Yes it was the same thing.
Originally posted by Quest4six:
I like the draft, and its the first one I've seen where we take Moncrief in the 1st (usually people have him going 2nd/3rd)

With the way his draft stock has been rising I could see us taking him 1st



I'm still unsure on whether I want Matthews or Moncreif... (not trying to start a moncreif v matthews debate lol)

But I think I would rather take Verrett than either of them.





I do like the mock though...
Thanks for doing your research, I can't stand seeing mocks that are unrealistic (I'm referring to the mocks you see with Tuitt in the 2nd and Matthews in the 3rd lol)

To be fair, it's not totally out of the question -- once you consider certain teams' needs and the depth at some positions in the draft. Matthews and Tuitt, both really could go a round later than expected.
Ok, I'll be the wet blanket...

No way I see Baalke trading two prized picks to get Roby. If it's a CB with his first pick, Verrett or Fuller would seem to appeal to him more (tough slot CB or longer-armed Fuller). Don't see either costing 2 picks.

Matthews and Adams have much more consistent production than Moncrief. I can see the former being a worthy replacement for Crabtree.

Like Marcus Smith a lot.

Desir would be a better pick than Aikens, IMHO. Big CB with long arms...Baalke loves them. Another option would be Breeland, whom TB likes.
OTC--I would pick very differently, but would be fine with this draft--if Baalke/Harbaugh sign off on Roby. If he is as much of a head case as some indicate Baalke will stay away from him. My only other concern is taking a DL high rather than using the pick for a better WR or CB as I see the needs there being more timely.

Desir, Watkins, Reynolds and Purifoy are listed in the 3rd ahead of Aitkins on the CBS chart...but that's just a matter of where they fall and personal preference. I fell in love with Purifoy's all around skills but he has some negatives as well. He may be a good example of a player who plays much better on the field than he performs in track meets (combine). If so, Baalke may be there to scoop him up in the third.
Your first two picks are project players. Nobody will contribute in year 1. Fail
Originally posted by dtg_9er:
OTC--I would pick very differently, but would be fine with this draft--if Baalke/Harbaugh sign off on Roby. If he is as much of a head case as some indicate Baalke will stay away from him. My only other concern is taking a DL high rather than using the pick for a better WR or CB as I see the needs there being more timely.

Desir, Watkins, Reynolds and Purifoy are listed in the 3rd ahead of Aitkins on the CBS chart...but that's just a matter of where they fall and personal preference. I fell in love with Purifoy's all around skills but he has some negatives as well. He may be a good example of a player who plays much better on the field than he performs in track meets (combine). If so, Baalke may be there to scoop him up in the third.

Purifoy is dropping on boards faster than a cinder block off a skyscraper. His off-season has been as horrendous as it gets. And to top it off, he now has an arrest warrant. I would be VERY surprised to see him go anywhere other than the mid to late rounds at best.

I like Desir and Reynolds. I'm so-so on Watkins. Nice Measurables, but the guy doesn't jump out to me as a potential high level NFL performing. Very good athlete but a risky prospect. We'll see on Roby. I've kept tabs on his stock and it doesn't appear he is going to fall out of the 1st round now like I had initially thought.
Originally posted by CorvaNinerFan:
Ok, I'll be the wet blanket...

No way I see Baalke trading two prized picks to get Roby. If it's a CB with his first pick, Verrett or Fuller would seem to appeal to him more (tough slot CB or longer-armed Fuller). Don't see either costing 2 picks.

Matthews and Adams have much more consistent production than Moncrief. I can see the former being a worthy replacement for Crabtree.

Like Marcus Smith a lot.

Desir would be a better pick than Aikens, IMHO. Big CB with long arms...Baalke loves them. Another option would be Breeland, whom TB likes.

Matthews' production is inflated due to being force-fed the ball on uncontested bubble-screens a high percentage of the time. Now, that said, he is a good player and will fit nicely for a team needing an element of a strong possession WR, but he won't be what the 49ers are looking for. His agility and speed times do not translate to the field. Good player, but not an explosive one.

Moncrief's production was mightily hindered by having arguably one of the most wildly inconsistent QBs in college football. But production isn't everything. Aldon Smith didn't have the most productive last year, but his tape revealed the kind of player he was. One on one footage of Donte reveals fantastic ability to beat the press with remarkable consistency. His drawbacks are the following: fine-tuning on some routes, and has good but not great hands. Overall however, he is arguably in the Top 3 among most explosive receivers in this class and possesses higher upside, on top of all this.

Both of these players showed up big-time in their bowl games, each getting 100+ yards with touchdowns. And both had big games against major competition (Moncrief with 100+ against LSU, Auburn, Arkansas, and Missouri... Matthews with 100+ against Missouri, South Carolina, and Mississipppi)

There is a reason scouts value one-on-one matchup tape and analysis so heavily. Physical attributes and production have their place, but in the NFL everyone is bigger and faster, if you can't beat the guy in front of you, you're worthless.
[ Edited by OnTheClock on Apr 21, 2014 at 4:21 PM ]