There are 140 users in the forums

Drafting OLB Anthony Barr

Guys & Gals,

I have a feeling that we will draft a pass rushing OLB in round 1 with all that is going on with Aldon Smith and if we can trade Aldon Smith maybe for an additional first rounder or an early 2nd round pick I say do it. I love Anthony Barr and his pro day workout was awesome I would love to plug him into our 3-4 defense and get rid of a guy that we can no longer trust. Here is my mock Draft as we move to solidify taking Anthony Barr in round #1.

1 - . Trade/W Dallas #16 Pick - OLB Anthony Barr 6'4 255 lbs. ran 4.44 at his UCLA pro day. 49ers send 30th pick Rd. 1, 77th pick Rd3. & 170th Pick 5th Round to Dallas to complete this trade.

2. - Second round – No. 56 overall - Marcus Martin - OC - 6'3⅜"320 - USC

2b - Second round – No. 61 overall - Martavis Bryant WR - 6'4" 211 - Clemson

3. Third round – No. 94 overall - Kareem Martin - DE - 6'5 ⅞" 275 North Carolina

3. Third round - No. 100 overall - Phillip Gaines - CB - 6'0 ⅜" 195 - Rice

4. Fourth Round - No. 129 overall - Lache Seastrunk - RB - 5'9½"205 Baylor

7th - Seventh A - Solomon Patton - WR - 5'9" 180 Florida

7th - Seventh B - Deandre Coleman - DT - 6'4¾" 314 - California

7th - Seventh C - Brandon Linder OG 6'5⅝"311Miami (FL)

I'd pass. Barr is fine, but we would wait too long to take a corner in this scenario IMO.
Like Barr, still not confident that he is our best choice if we move up.

Thoroughly disagree picking Martin w/our 2nd. Kilgore is going to be the guy and he's going to be very good.

MORE importantly, we need to come out of this draft w/ a starting caliber CB and IMO Gaines will not be there at the bottom of the 3rd.

I really like the picks of Bryant WR and Martin DE.

Seastrunk {Any relation to Otis?] is VERY tempting but I don't think we need another RB as much as we need other positions.
Kareem Martin will not be there at 94 and I think Gaines has moved way above 100 on most draft boards by now. CBS has Kareem Martin at 55 and Gaines at 57 and I've seen Gaines in the discussion for the #5-6 corner.

I'm not sure any of us knows exactly how the 49ers view Kilgore. If they think he is a long-term starter, they would probably be hesitant to use such a high pick on a C. If we're uncertain about him, I could see us waiting a year to draft a replacement rather than using a high pick and not being able to play them if Kilgore succeeds or using a low pick and ending up with 2 bench-caliber C's and having to cut one.

If Barr falls to 16 which isn't likely, I wouldn't mind that trade but the Cowboys may be hesitant to make another one-sided trade with us.
Kareem Martin is not a 3-4 DE.

I think I would cry if the 49ers only addition to the secondary in the draft was Phillip Gaines.
Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:
Kareem Martin is not a 3-4 DE.

I think I would cry if the 49ers only addition to the secondary in the draft was Phillip Gaines.

Good point about the secondary. What position would you play Kareem Martin at?
Heard Dallas likes Barr and they have a bigger need for him. Barr just looks explosive to me on tape, fast and violent. Maybe he's not a direct need but at 16th, he's got to be best player available.
Originally posted by m_brockalexander:

At DE in 4-3 defense. My biggest concern with him is that he has a motor that is up and down, he tends to take plays off, if an offensive lineman beats him up a bit early on he ends up playing scared and docile.
That would be a steal to get Barr at pick 16. Love the first pick.

Pick 2 second round - CB or WR BPA of the two positions. Center can wait until later rounds.

Pick 2- BPA of whatever is not pick WR or CB.

Round 3- why DE? Niners have so many right now, Center at this position or FS.

Round 3- pick 100 back up qb for the next 4 years. - Fales, Murray
We could trade back from rd 1, gain an extra early 3rd rd pick and draft Attaochu, and very good pass rusher. We would then have two 2nd rd picks and four 3rd rd picks to get CB's and WR's and other position help.

I'm confident the 49ers will not knee-jerk over Aldon and take a pass rusher in round 1. Unnecessary.
Originally posted by NickSh49:
I'm confident the 49ers will not knee-jerk over Aldon and take a pass rusher in round 1. Unnecessary.

This. Still way bigger needs at CB and WR that need to be addressed.
Originally posted by NickSh49:

Originally posted by NeonNiner:
This. Still way bigger needs at CB and WR that need to be addressed.

/endthread
Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:
Originally posted by m_brockalexander:

At DE in 4-3 defense. My biggest concern with him is that he has a motor that is up and down, he tends to take plays off, if an offensive lineman beats him up a bit early on he ends up playing scared and docile.

Could he be a 3-4 OLB in your opinion?
I like Barr but...... I hate a trade up for him. I would take BPA at CB or WR or DT/DE
Share 49ersWebzone