LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 220 users in the forums

1. San Francisco 49ers trade up for Anthony Barr?

Originally posted by dompernick53:
Originally posted by kronik:
Just recently made an account but have constantly read people's posts on here over the years. What about possibly drafting Michael Sam in the later rounds? SEC DPOY and his expertise seemed to be rushing the passer. Not to mention he comes from our pass rushing pipeline of Missouri. Just a thought.

Slow, unathletic with short arms and lousy strength. No thanks

I understand he isn't the fastest, strongest or most athletic but taking a late round flier on a DPOY for the SEC certainly couldn't be the worst idea ever. I mean its not like its your average joe winning DPOY in the SEC. You got to be pretty darned skilled to be the best defensive player in the SEC.

How would Culliver feel if he was a 49er?....food for thought...
I agree with most on here that CB and WR are greater needs. However, I do really like Barr and would not be too upset if we took him. What it would come down to for me is how much would we have to give up to swing this deal . If it isn't too much, I would like it even more.
He's not Manny Lawson - Lawson was actually a better athlete and had 35" arms, but he was still not as productive as Barr in college even though he benefited from Mario Williams taking up a lot of the focus of opposing lines. Barr is raw, but this actually intrigues me because he plays hard and made enough plays to win the Ronnie Lott award even though his technique needs work. He was very productive in 2 years and there is still room for growth which is a good sign. Unfortunately, Barr will probably be a top 10 pick and if we're training up to 10 or so, I hope we are targeting Mike Evans instead.
Hell No.

We only trade up for Gilbert.
  • jimrat
  • Veteran
Don't see what the big hype is on this guy.
Originally posted by 80849er4life:
Originally posted by kronik:
Just recently made an account but have constantly read people's posts on here over the years. What about possibly drafting Michael Sam in the later rounds? SEC DPOY and his expertise seemed to be rushing the passer. Not to mention he comes from our pass rushing pipeline of Missouri. Just a thought.

Slow, unathletic with short arms and lousy strength. No thanks

I understand he isn't the fastest, strongest or most athletic but taking a late round flier on a DPOY for the SEC certainly couldn't be the worst idea ever. I mean its not like its your average joe winning DPOY in the SEC. You got to be pretty darned skilled to be the best defensive player in the SEC.

How would Culliver feel if he was a 49er?....food for thought...
Culliver probably wouldn't be very comfortable with Sam on his squad but right now Culliver is in the doghouse and thus I doubt he has much say in regards to whether or not Sam should be welcomed into the Niners locker room.
Originally posted by Ninerjohn:
Originally posted by OnTheClock:
Originally posted by Ninerjohn:
Originally posted by MadDog49er:
We need CB, WR and C help right away. I think those are higher priorities until this gets sorted out.

I disagree . We still have Crabs, Boldin, Patton and even Lloyd at WR and there will be a lot of options in rd 2 at that spot. Center , while obviously is important, isnt nearly as critical as finding a pass rusher given the situation with Smith.

CB or OLB has to be the prioriity in rd 1.

I'm not counting on Lloyd to make the team. Whatever our priority, we have to be careful not to get carried away and throw away value and ruin the rest of our draft. I am not sure how high on Ford I am for our team. My favorite pass-rusher right now is actually Marcus Smith.

Boldin is aging and can't keep up his game forever, Patton is unproven, Crabtree is in a contract year, and Lloyd was out of football in 2013. That's too many question marks for me to say WR isn't critical. That said, I don't think we will look at C as a critical need. I believe we will draft one, but I think Kilgore will still likely start. They probably would prefer to not have a rookie making line calls.

Niners can get a very good WR with their 2nd rd pick. I'm not sure they will get a great pass rusher there. I fully understand that we HAVE to get a WR with one of our top 3 picks. OLB CB WR have to be the top 3 picks in some order. Center isnt close to that.

I agree the 49ers could get a terrific receiver in the second. As far as pass rusher, to be very honest, I think some of the players that will go in the 2nd or 3rd will wind up being better than the first round pass-rushers this year. In my mind, this would be the priority list:

1. CB (Last time we saw Culliver, he was being roasted in the Super Bowl. Now he's coming off an ACL and off-season issues)
2. WR (See previous posts noting that not a single one of our WRs in the current cast is set for long, stable contributions)
3. OLB (Self explanatory)
4. DL (McDonald is getting into his mid-30s, Justin Smith may retire after next year, Carradine coming off ACL)
5. Interior OL (Someone who can either seriously compete with Kilgore, or someone who could potentially replace Iupati)
I really believe the Aldon Smith situation throw a crowbar into the the 49ers Draft machinery...all preps and plans go out the window. Does Barr have the tools that Aldon provides to the defense?...If he does I have not seen it. Barr has similar physical dimensions, but all similarity end there. Outside of Clowney is there anyone that maybe as explosive of a pass-rusher? This is a lot for the scouting dept to undertake in so little time...How many thousands of hours of film watching has been wasted as of all this
I honestly don't think the 49ers draft strategy changes, there isn't a pass rusher in the 1st worth moving up for besides Clowney. Barr hasn't shown me anything that would make me want to move up for him in the draft.

If we move up in the draft it should be for a offensive play maker or stay at 30 and grab a CB/WR.
Originally posted by JimHarbaugh:
Tank is a DE.

Originally posted by JimHarbaugh:
Originally posted by T-9ers:
I wouldn't be mad at a Barr or Dee Ford selection. They won't be Aldon, but I like their speed and we still got Tank.

Tank is a DE.

Who said he wasn't?

Originally posted by theninermaniac:
Hell No.

We only trade up for Gilbert.

Meh, not worth trading up for either.
Lol

Share 49ersWebzone