LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 222 users in the forums

1. San Francisco 49ers trade up for Anthony Barr?

Originally posted by kronik:
Originally posted by dompernick53:
Just recently made an account but have constantly read people's posts on here over the years. What about possibly drafting Michael Sam in the later rounds? SEC DPOY and his expertise seemed to be rushing the passer. Not to mention he comes from our pass rushing pipeline of Missouri. Just a thought.

Slow, unathletic with short arms and lousy strength. No thanks

I understand he isn't the fastest, strongest or most athletic but taking a late round flier on a DPOY for the SEC certainly couldn't be the worst idea ever. I mean its not like its your average joe winning DPOY in the SEC. You got to be pretty darned skilled to be the best defensive player in the SEC.
Thanks for the reprint of the NFL.com article that suggested this. Just like them, you don't have any idea as to how many picks we would need to give up to get him, whom we would trade with and at what pick. OTC had it right when he suggested guys like Attaochu and Marcus Smith in the 2nd or 3rd round as insurance for Smith getting suspended or released.
Originally posted by OnTheClock:
No thank you. Barr would not be the elite player Aldon is and we could actually get a player than might be just as good or better in the 2nd round. Barr lacks the upper body strength that you want in a typical 3-4 OLB and I'm not a fan of him there.

Aldon will get suspended, and who knows if they try to bring him back in 2015. But the 49ers are better served getting pass rushers later. I think we go after Marcus Smith or Jeremiah Attachou in the 2nd-3rd, and consider some other options later.

I would rather move up 4 or 5 spots and draft Dee Ford than move way up to get Barr.
Originally posted by fropwns:
Did you copy some of this from....

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap2000000342112/article/barr-to-49ers-carr-to-jags-possible-draftday-deals

Yeah, yeah ya did. THAT'S A BAD MONKEY! You can't just loot and pillage from other sites at your whim?!?! Come on, MAN!

lol this is awesome
Originally posted by Ninerjohn:
I would rather move up 4 or 5 spots and draft Dee Ford than move way up to get Barr.

or grab Demarcus Lawerence. We brought him in for a visit so we have some level of interest.
We need CB, WR and C help right away. I think those are higher priorities until this gets sorted out.
Originally posted by MadDog49er:
We need CB, WR and C help right away. I think those are higher priorities until this gets sorted out.

I disagree . We still have Crabs, Boldin, Patton and even Lloyd at WR and there will be a lot of options in rd 2 at that spot. Center , while obviously is important, isnt nearly as critical as finding a pass rusher given the situation with Smith.

CB or OLB has to be the prioriity in rd 1.

I disagree . We still have Crabs, Boldin, Patton and even Lloyd at WR and there will be a lot of options in rd 2 at that spot. Center , while obviously is important, isnt nearly as critical as finding a pass rusher given the situation with Smith.

I'm not counting on Lloyd to make the team. Whatever our priority, we have to be careful not to get carried away and throw away value and ruin the rest of our draft. I am not sure how high on Ford I am for our team. My favorite pass-rusher right now is actually Marcus Smith.

Boldin is aging and can't keep up his game forever, Patton is unproven, Crabtree is in a contract year, and Lloyd was out of football in 2013. That's too many question marks for me to say WR isn't critical. That said, I don't think we will look at C as a critical need. I believe we will draft one, but I think Kilgore will still likely start. They probably would prefer to not have a rookie making line calls.

I'm not counting on Lloyd to make the team. Whatever our priority, we have to be careful not to get carried away and throw away value and ruin the rest of our draft. I am not sure how high on Ford I am for our team. My favorite pass-rusher right now is actually Marcus Smith.

Boldin is aging and can't keep up his game forever, Patton is unproven, Crabtree is in a contract year, and Lloyd was out of football in 2013. That's too many question marks for me to say WR isn't critical. That said, I don't think we will look at C as a critical need. I believe we will draft one, but I think Kilgore will still likely start. They probably would prefer to not have a rookie making line calls.

Niners can get a very good WR with their 2nd rd pick. I'm not sure they will get a great pass rusher there. I fully understand that we HAVE to get a WR with one of our top 3 picks. OLB CB WR have to be the top 3 picks in some order. Center isnt close to that.

Round 1 has to be corner, IMO, especially with the talent at pass rusher in the 2nd/3rd rounds. Plus, I really like a combo of Skuta/Lemonier if/when Aldon gets suspended.
I wouldn't be mad at a Barr or Dee Ford selection. They won't be Aldon, but I like their speed and we still got Tank.
No thank you. Barr would not be the elite player Aldon is and we could actually get a player than might be just as good or better in the 2nd round. Barr lacks the upper body strength that you want in a typical 3-4 OLB and I'm not a fan of him there.

Aldon will get suspended, and who knows if they try to bring him back in 2015. But the 49ers are better served getting pass rushers later. I think we go after Marcus Smith or Jeremiah Attachou in the 2nd-3rd, and consider some other options later.
Agreed. Attaochu in the 2nd rd would be a smarter move.
Originally posted by T-9ers:
I wouldn't be mad at a Barr or Dee Ford selection. They won't be Aldon, but I like their speed and we still got Tank.

Tank is a DE.
I'd be really worried trading up for Barr. Incredible athlete, but he's a bit raw. I'd want a more well-rounded player if we're going to trade up. He definitely is not going to be the next Aldon. Aldon had a vast array of pass rush moves coming out as a junior. That's the most important thing.

You guys remember Manny Lawson? Another 6'5", 240 lb, 4.4 speed linebacker that had no polish as a pass rusher. Incredible athlete, but his measurables did little for him. I want the guy who has an arsenal of pass rush moves at his disposal (speed, swim, bull-rush, club, rip, spin). I haven't seen that from Barr.
Share 49ersWebzone