There are 89 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

Logan Thomas and Harbaugh

  • xcfan
  • Veteran
  • Posts: 2,123
here and there, i read that harbaugh has solid interest in thomas. how can this be? his skills are horrible. he makes it hard on his receivers practically every play; just plain bad ball placement. if he wasn't tall, strong and powerful, he'd be a nobody. there's no chance that this guy wins nfl games. individual nfl plays are precious, you have to have the ability to place the ball where it can move the chains. thomas does not have the innate feel for putting together plays and finishing drives. not anything near a nfl qb prospect with a decent chance for success.

i know some will say he can be coached up, but i disagree. the stuff i see shows an absence of basic nfl playmaking from the perspective of arm talent. there's a chasm between him and winning nfl accuracy. harbaugh can't fix that; thomas is missing innate talent. not even worth developmental udfa status.

if you know harbaugh and have optimism about the thomas/harbaugh thing, please explain how the basic problems of thomas' play can be overcome. it will take quite an argument.
[ Edited by xcfan on Apr 17, 2014 at 10:18 PM ]
  • Kolohe
  • Hall of Fame
  • Posts: 33,169
I've said the same things about Kaepernick in 2011, even Maiocco didn't think Kaepernick was a good fit for Harbaugh's offense. Harbaugh is just looking for his type of back up's.....tall, mobile, good arm strength and can throw on the run type of QB. That's why I think there's no way Harbaugh will have interest in Aaron Murray, which I'm hoping he does, but unlikely.

I'm no advocate of Logan Thomas, but who knows with maybe good work ethic, a student of the game that will take Harbaugh's coaching in and a couple or a few years sitting on the bench, he could develop into something worth trading for.
One thing I'll never question is Harbaugh when it comes to QB's. If he likes Thomas as QB, I have to assume that he believes he can develop his quarterbacking skills and see's a ton of potential in him.
Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:
One thing I'll never question is Harbaugh when it comes to QB's. If he likes Thomas as QB, I have to assume that he believes he can develop his quarterbacking skills and see's a ton of potential in him.
Correct! Coach Harbaugh = Quarterback Whisperer. If he can change Alex Smith in less than 1 year from a 7 year bust type player into a pro bowler who almost took the Niners to the Super Bowl he can coach up just about any QB.

Besides with the way the coaching staff works together maybe Harbaugh is thinking of making 6'6 248lbs. Logan Thomas a Red-Zone target in Greg Roman's offense since he was a TE before he even started to play QB in college.
[ Edited by KaeperVICK_7 on Apr 17, 2014 at 11:25 PM ]
  • xcfan
  • Veteran
  • Posts: 2,123
Originally posted by Kolohe:
I've said the same things about Kaepernick in 2011, even Maiocco didn't think Kaepernick was a good fit for Harbaugh's offense. Harbaugh is just looking for his type of back up's.....tall, mobile, good arm strength and can throw on the run type of QB. That's why I think there's no way Harbaugh will have interest in Aaron Murray, which I'm hoping he does, but unlikely.

I'm no advocate of Logan Thomas, but who knows with maybe good work ethic, a student of the game that will take Harbaugh's coaching in and a couple or a few years sitting on the bench, he could develop into something worth trading for.

in college, kaep lacked the ability to finesse or feather throws when it would be optimal to do so. now, he's somewhat better at it, but he still lacks the ability to vary throws well. that's just a symptom of firehose arms, and it won't change much. but, kaep was still pretty accurate on most of his throws at nevada, markedly better than logan. kaep throws too much like a pitcher; we'll just have to live with it. you'd like a guy who can vary his arm angle to fit the needs of a particular throw--that aint kaep. logan can actually vary his throws a bit, but still can't fine tune the accuracy. i think a big part of the problem is his long length. in general, you lose some control when your levers are as long as logan's--especially on shorter passes. a guy who has overcome this is osweiler; a guy who didn't was dan mcguire. logan throws very similar to mcguire. a symptom of being too tall for the position. very few 6-6 or taller college qbs make it to the nfl--there's a reason why.
Isn't there a Logan Thomas thread?
Draft him in the 7th round

Convert him to TE
[ Edited by SofaKing on Apr 18, 2014 at 3:33 AM ]
Originally posted by xcfan:
here and there, i read that harbaugh has solid interest in thomas. how can this be? his skills are horrible. he makes it hard on his receivers practically every play; just plain bad ball placement. if he wasn't tall, strong and powerful, he'd be a nobody. there's no chance that this guy wins nfl games. individual nfl plays are precious, you have to have the ability to place the ball where it can move the chains. thomas does not have the innate feel for putting together plays and finishing drives. not anything near a nfl qb prospect with a decent chance for success.

i know some will say he can be coached up, but i disagree. the stuff i see shows an absence of basic nfl playmaking from the perspective of arm talent. there's a chasm between him and winning nfl accuracy. harbaugh can't fix that; thomas is missing innate talent. not even worth developmental udfa status.

if you know harbaugh and have optimism about the thomas/harbaugh thing, please explain how the basic problems of thomas' play can be overcome. it will take quite an argument.

Your posts are like Logan Thomas passes.
Originally posted by Travisty13:
Isn't there a Logan Thomas thread?

now theres two
Does anyone know how Thomas did on the Wonderlic? I think the biggest concerns are with his decision making and intelligence and if he's as dumb as a brick, that may not be coachable. The physical gifts are all there, but quarterbacks need more than that and some of the best quarterbacks were actually lacking in some physical attributes.
Originally posted by xcfan:
here and there, i read that harbaugh has solid interest in thomas. how can this be? his skills are horrible. he makes it hard on his receivers practically every play; just plain bad ball placement. if he wasn't tall, strong and powerful, he'd be a nobody. there's no chance that this guy wins nfl games. individual nfl plays are precious, you have to have the ability to place the ball where it can move the chains. thomas does not have the innate feel for putting together plays and finishing drives. not anything near a nfl qb prospect with a decent chance for success.

i know some will say he can be coached up, but i disagree. the stuff i see shows an absence of basic nfl playmaking from the perspective of arm talent. there's a chasm between him and winning nfl accuracy. harbaugh can't fix that; thomas is missing innate talent. not even worth developmental udfa status.

if you know harbaugh and have optimism about the thomas/harbaugh thing, please explain how the basic problems of thomas' play can be overcome. it will take quite an argument.

Harbaugh > you.

/argument

What qualifications do you have that would make your judgment trump that of a SUCCESSFUL professional coach? If Harbaugh sees something and you don't, perhaps that's the exact reason he is where he is and you are just a fan.
All i know is when it comes to Harbaugh and the QBs he has coached. All seem to end up pretty good. Alex Smith, Kap, and Andrew Luck(college). So if he feels he can coach this guy to be productive. In Harbaugh I Trust
Maybe it's because Thomas can (in theory, at least) be a 3rd QB and 3rd TE. *shrugs*