LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 254 users in the forums

Mock No.5

Trade pick 30 and next years 5 for pick 24.

24.Darqueze Dennard 5'11" 199lbs CB Michigan St.
Outstanding size with a well-distributed frame, knotty calves and thin ankles. Good press strength. Controlled, efficient pedal. Good competitive playing speed. Transitions cleanly in man-off coverage. Very good eyes, anticipation and reactive quickness. Good pattern recognition -- sorts out what he sees quickly. Clings to the hip pocket of receivers down the field. Swift speed turn. Likeable personality. Very accountable leader by example. Brings intensity to the field and plays with urgency. Highly confident and competitive.

Trade 56 and 94 for 38
38.Timmy Jernigan 6'2" 299lbs DT Florida St.
Strong for his size and clogs the middle. Has disruptive ability. Bends his knees and plays with leverage. Able to stack, locate and shed. Wraps and rips down ball carriers. Coordinated hands and feet. Is difficult to engage -- has quick, active paws. Can slap, rip and swim to beat blockers and turns up the heat on passing downs. Good foot athlete for his size -- changes direction well, gives effort in pursuit and ranges outside the box

61.Cody Latimer 6'2" 215lbs WR Indiana
Very good size. Shows a jab step to get into routes cleanly and is equipped to combat the jam. Can use his frame and physicality to create separation on slants and �"post-up�" throws. Nice catch radius -- extends to snag throws off his body. Soft, dependable hands. Nice strength after the catch. Good blocker -- subdues cornerbacks, shields, stalks and sustains. Improved steadily over three years as a starter.

77.Jaylen Watkins 5'11" 194lbs DB Florida
Nice size for a cornerback. Good fluidity and movement skills. Alert in zones. Flashes some playmaking ability. Versatile -- lines up as a corner, safety and nickel defender and plays on all special teams.Played in 12 games and started in nine (three at cornerback and six at safety).

100.Preston Brown 6'1" 251lbs MLB Louisville
STRENGTHS Outstanding size. Physical tackler. Steps downhilll and attacks the run with the proper shoulder. Good eyes and instincts. Delivers some pop on contact and strikes with force. Experienced three-year starter. Good football intelligence -- makes the calls and lines up a defense.

Trade picks 129,245,and next years 6th for the 110th pick
110.Isaiah Crowell 5'11" 224lbs RB Alabama St.
Good vision and run strength -- runs hard and has a knack for finding seams. Presses the line of scrimmage and shows nice short-area burst to attack the outside.

170.Brandon Thomas 6'3" 317lbs G/OT Clemson
Good size with very long arms and big hands. Quick out of his stance. Knee bender with good balance and body control. Solid base. Places his hands inside and can pop and recoil. Strong-handed puncher with good grip strength once he latches on. Athletic, efficient mover. Light on his feet to step to the second level or pull. Can maneuver and throw his hips in the hole. Climbs to the second level. Three-year starter who played tackle (two-time first-team All-ACC at LT). Held his own against Jadeveon Clowney without help. Team captain.

242.Larry Webster 6'6" 252lbs DE/TE Bloomburg
Very good size-speed ratio. Can win at the snap with his natural bend, hip flexibility and initial take-off quickness. Closes fast to the ball. Has NFL pedigree. Has seen action as a goal-line receiving threat and effortlessly adjusts to the ball. A gifted athlete with NFL pedigree and intriguing developmental tools as a speed rusher, Webster could prove to be better fit as a flex tight end in the pros, possessing more of an offensive temperament and the size, wingspan, athletic ability and coordination to create mismatches in a similar mold as Broncos TE Julius Thomas and Browns TE Jordan Cameron exiting college with limited football experience.

243.Dezmen Southward 6'0" 211lbs SS Wisconsin
Excellent size. Good straight-line speed. Bends his knees and pedals softly. Reacts well to plays in front of him. Played a hybrid safety role at UW, including defending slot receivers (even played CB in a pinch against BYU). Special-teams experience. Coach's son.

Trade LMJ for the 248th pick and a conditional 6th round pick
248.Chris Boyd 6'4" 206lbs WR Vanderbilt
Excellent frame. Chews up ground with long strides. Controls his body and uses size to his advantage. Good hands -- extends to catch off his body. Adjusts to throws. Good potential as a blocker -- can engage and stalk. Good work ethic.Did not play after being dismissed from the team after conditional guilty plea for his role in attempting to cover up rape of unconscious student.

UDFA:Tracy Moore,Kameron Jackson,D.J. Coles,John Urschell,Khalil Wilkes
[ Edited by 9ertillidie on Apr 15, 2014 at 8:48 PM ]
You traded 170, but have us taking someone with pick 170?
Originally posted by AB81Rules:

Sorry computer crashed and had saved part of it but not the other.Kind of hurried through the second half
I'll take that. I love Dennard and am warming up to the idea of taking Latimer in round two. The only thing is I'm not sure if Jernigan will be there at 38. Otherwise it looks good.
Originally posted by 9ertillidie:

Sorry computer crashed and had saved part of it but not the other.Kind of hurried through the second half

No worries. Nice mock. I like Jernigan, I think he goes higher, but he wouldn't be a bad pick if he falls. Overall an A+ Draft IMO.
If we end up with Dennard/Latimer/Thomas/Jerrigan, that'd be a home run overall (#1 CB, potential #1 WR, Jerrigan/Carradine pairing could be nasty for a few years, and Thomas could step in if Iupati were lost to FA and not lose a step).

But, don't see Jerrigan falling that far, but I would keep the trade and instead pick Stanley Jean-Baptiste. Since we got two top press CBs in Dennard/Baptiste, we can change Watkins (he is talented, and yes, we can change defenses towards talent, but feel he's more of a zone guy than man-to-man press, which we normally play) and at 77 we pick Martavius Bryant, WR from Clemson.

Bryant played in a short slant heavy offense, limiting his numbers in my opinion. But at 6'5 and 4.4 speed, could be our speed deep threat that opens the field.

I originally was going to question the Brown pick, but after researching more and looking up the Zone highlights, I like his ceiling more than Shayne Skov's (though he'd be more ready to step in to our defense and help with Bowman's loss). Could be another GREAT LB to add to our insane LB core.

One question: I don't know much about Isaiah Crowell, but why would he be a good fit? If we do select another RB to add to the core of Gore/Hunter/Lattimore, why pick Crowell over the likes of Storm Johnson or De'Anthony Thomas?

Overall, I liked your mock, great job
It's not too bad overall. A pretty nice mock.
Like the mock. Don't want to trade LMJ for next to nothing. He is a good KR and averages over 4 1/2 yds per carry when we give him a chance to carry the ball. Unless we get good compensation we might as well keep him and maybe even learn how to use him.

They'll let us do that won't they?
We're going to have to give up more than a 2015 5th rounder to move up 6 spots in the first round. Decent mock.

After all the trades, you end up w/Lattimer and no other WR 'til rd 7. Ok. Just seems there are better (at least in terms of production) WR's with similar size, strength, speed, work ethic, etc. You'd pass up Matthews, Adams, Moncrief for Latimer?

Jernigan...would arguably play NT for the Niners, not really a position of need. If you're going DL, why not take a guy who can play the 5-technique. Most are projecting Jernigan as a 4-3 DT. Easley would be good, too.

Watkins. Good player, but it's no secret Baalke really likes Breeland.

Brown's a good pick for ILB depth.

Don't get the RB...backfield's already crowded. Gore's not done and Lattimore should be his top b/u.

Thomas a good redshirt pick. Also like Southward...kind of an under-the-radar guy, but very capable.
don't love the fit of Jernigan, but the rest is so tasty that I am a happy fan of this one!
I would use 100 on Ellington, Herron, Archer, or go Tevin Reese in the 5th. We need that speed. I don't think grabbing a rapey 7th rounder would be a great move right now.
Originally posted by WRATHman44:
I would use 100 on Ellington, Herron, Archer, or go Tevin Reese in the 5th. We need that speed. I don't think grabbing a rapey 7th rounder would be a great move right now.

It's a low risk pick.Cut him if he has issues.
Originally posted by MC9BEAT:
Like the mock. Don't want to trade LMJ for next to nothing. He is a good KR and averages over 4 1/2 yds per carry when we give him a chance to carry the ball. Unless we get good compensation we might as well keep him and maybe even learn how to use him.

I believe Crowell returned kicks at Alabama St.
Share 49ersWebzone