LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 250 users in the forums

The All-Good Guy Draft(Knucklehead Free) by Phoenix49ers

In light of some recent "transgressions", allow me to put together a draft that cleans things up a bit. Everyone in this mock is a "high character" guy, a team leader, a positive locker room influence.

Round 1-Jason Verrett-CB-TCU-Great work ethic, very solid character, has drawn a lot of praise from his coaches, has shown consistent improvement throughout his college career. Possibly the best coverage skills in the draft. Would instantly lock down the slot corner spot for the 49ers and man up against guys like Percy Harvin.

Round 2-Davante Adams-WR-Fresno State. Hard worker, determined, has received a lot of praise from members of the Fresno State coaching staff, smart guy with a positive attitude.

Round 2-Pierre Desir-CB-Lindenwood. Very mature guy, already a family man, married with kids, was regarded as a team leader at Lindenwood and Washburn before that, seems to be very dedicated and hard working with a ton of upside.

Round 3-Robert Herron-WR-Wyoming. Tremendous character and work ethic. Leads by example. Has drawn praise from coaches and teammates alike for his leadership ability. Tremendous athleticism combined with outstanding character is a win, win, win.

Round 3-Lamin Barrow-ILB/OLB-LSU. Natural leader, holds himself accountable, outstanding work ethic, considered very mature for his age.

Round 3-James Gayle-OLB/DE-Virginia Tech. Hard-nosed player, natural leader out on the field, a guy who could contribute at OLB and special teams as needed. Needs to be coached up in some area's but good potential as a pass rusher.

Round 4-Craig Loston-SS-LSU. Another tough, hard-nosed LSU player. Just like Barrow he's a natural leader with a quality work ethic.

Round 5-Spencer Long-OG-Nebraska. Tough and smart is a good combination. Has received accolades for his achievements on and off the football field. A likely 2nd rounder who will be a steal at this spot, allowing the 49ers to save a roster spot by putting him on IR and then having him in 2015 to compete with Looney for Iupati's spot.

Round 7-Trey Millard-FB/TE-Oklahoma. The ultimate team guy, great character, hard worker, devoted film study aficionado. Possibly Greg Roman's ultimate wet dream. Capable of running, receiving, blocking, does basically everything and he did it against the highest level competition. He's an absolute steal right here.

Round 7-Daniel Sorenson-SS-BYU-Outstanding character, hard worker, could be a replacement for Dahl on the roster. BIG defensive back. Can play at safety as well as special teams. Just an all around team player, will run through a wall if a coach tells him to do so. Tough and smart player.

Round 7-Jeremy Butler-WR-Tennessee-Martin. Very physical receiver, uses his body well to create separation, not afraid to mix it up with defensive backs. Good character guy, has been a hard worker that has drawn praise from the UT-Martin coaching staff. Needs to develop but has the potential to be a good possession receiver in the NFL.

[ Edited by Phoenix49ers on Apr 15, 2014 at 10:53 AM ]
I could live with this Phoenix.

I think the character concerns of the locker room are being blow out of proportion however.

Like that You finally included Adams. I know you werent as high on him earlier in the offseason unless im mistaken.

You know my thoughts on Herron, so ill save them.

Like the Desir pick, etc.

Overall i would be happy with this draft.
Very nice, Phoenix. Only change I might make is to substitute Jordan Matthews for Adams. Here's why...Devante's numbers are somewhat skewed because he played in the MWC...they've heard about defense, but play very little of it. Matthews is the all-time leading SEC receiver...and that's the best conf in the NCAA. He put up consistently good numbers, and has arguably the best work ethic in this draft.
Wow a lot changed since the last one I saw.
No Fuller?

I haven't seen much of Adams tape... I think I need to go watch some.
Also no Moncrief?
Originally posted by IdahoNiner:
I could live with this Phoenix.

I think the character concerns of the locker room are being blow out of proportion however.

Like that You finally included Adams. I know you werent as high on him earlier in the offseason unless im mistaken.

You know my thoughts on Herron, so ill save them.

Like the Desir pick, etc.

Overall i would be happy with this draft.

At first I thought you wrote "I could live with Phoenix." I was like "yeahhh baby!"

As far as Herron goes, it was like 51% support for him, 49% for Ellington who by everything I've seen and read is an AWESOME, awesome guy and an absolute beast when it comes to putting the work in. I could go eitherway and be happy I just think Herron is a little bit better of a downfield threat.
[ Edited by Phoenix49ers on Apr 15, 2014 at 11:47 AM ]
Good mock.

I'm still NOT sold on Adams.

I think Desir is going to be a Big-Time contributor, especially w/our coaches guiding his development.
Wow, if the Niners could pull this draft off...I'd be very happy with it! I like the longer-term potential of some of the injured players (Long, Millard). I'm still hoping they can draft an impact OLB (insurance for Aldon and if Lemonier doesn't keep progressing) and/or a force at DT with J. Smith getting up there in years. Also, maybe finding a QB that could slip for whatever reason to the 4th Rd. such as Murray w/ his injury.
Originally posted by LottDMontanaO:
Wow, if the Niners could pull this draft off...I'd be very happy with it! I like the longer-term potential of some of the injured players (Long, Millard). I'm still hoping they can draft an impact OLB (insurance for Aldon and if Lemonier doesn't keep progressing) and/or a force at DT with J. Smith getting up there in years. Also, maybe finding a QB that could slip for whatever reason to the 4th Rd. such as Murray w/ his injury.

James Gayle is your OLB, as far as QB, i dont see them keeping another QB now that Gabbert is on board. Maybe a project late, IMO.
I'd take this draft and be pretty happy. However, I would want to draft a high character QB ( Aaron Murray perhaps) in 4th rd or so.
Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:

James Gayle is your OLB, as far as QB, i dont see them keeping another QB now that Gabbert is on board. Maybe a project late, IMO.

In my mind, that would be the best-case scenario where Gabbert takes firm control of the back-up QB role and gains the trust & confidence of the coaches. Harbaugh can as well as anyone get the most out of a QB's potential...Gabbert does have the potential - he's got the size, the arm, the athletic ability, the intelligence, etc...needs better pocket presence and hanging tough in the pocket. Hopefully, Harbaugh can help him progress in all these areas. Regarding the OLB Gayle, I don't know a lot about him. Could he be one of those that really competes for playing time at OLB should Aldon miss any time for whatever reason?

Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:

In my mind, that would be the best-case scenario where Gabbert takes firm control of the back-up QB role and gains the trust & confidence of the coaches. Harbaugh can as well as anyone get the most out of a QB's potential...Gabbert does have the potential - he's got the size, the arm, the athletic ability, the intelligence, etc...needs better pocket presence and hanging tough in the pocket. Hopefully, Harbaugh can help him progress in all these areas. Regarding the OLB Gayle, I don't know a lot about him. Could he be one of those that really competes for playing time at OLB should Aldon miss any time for whatever reason?

I agree and I just dont think that Blaine Gabbert should be the reason to not take a QB in the 4th if a quality guy falls to them. Its Blaine Gannert for goodness sake. Potential yes but far from being a sure thing.
I like it overall.

Just not a huge fan of Adams. I think hes the product of Fresno's Offense and weak competition. Thats me. Would rather have Mathews, Robinson, Latimer or Moncrief in RD 2.
That was a pretty sweet draft IMHO. In regards to a 2nd round wide receiver, I would be happy with Adams, Matthews, Latimer, or Moncrief.
I like it.
-Verrett and Herron would strengthen our weaknesses.
-Adams and Desir could develop into pro-bowlers.
-The rest are blue collar depth players.

Good job!
Share 49ersWebzone