There are 97 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

MadDog Master's Edition Big 256 Board- The Whole Enchilada

Originally posted by fortyninerglory:
If he were to be available at #30 how do his short arms affect Baalke and his fetish for long limbs.

If he is there at 30, the team has to take a long look. He is a very good player. I just think there are issues if he plays off coverage.

The team is a mess right now at corner, so they need to have a cohesive strategy. I like Philip Gaines a lot, and hope the team uses their first second rounder on him. I think he is going to be a second rounder (I have him sneaking into the second round). Way underrated.

Plus, the cornerback position depth is starting to take a hit with the likely pair of Purifoy and Hampton going undrafted. Both guys are a mess, and when they get kicked to the curb, it pushes down the overall quality of the CB position, which is still pretty strong.
[ Edited by MadDog49er on Apr 21, 2014 at 12:52 PM ]
Originally posted by MadDog49er:
Originally posted by m_brockalexander:
MD, where do you see Kareem Martin playing in the NFL? Is he a 3-4 DE, 4-3 DE or can he play 3-4OLB? Interested in hearing your thoughts on this guy.

Right now, strictly a 43 DE. Simply not big and strong enough to play the 34 DE role, and not nimble enough to play the 34 DE. Would be shocked if he is on our board. Good player with a bright future. I think he is a better fit for a team like the Bengals, who value those long 43 DE.

Thanks, MD. The Bengals reference really puts it into perspective.
MD, what do you think of Rashaad Reynolds out of Oregon State? He seems to be shooting up the boards lately. When I look at his tape, albeit, only good highlights on youtube, he plays like a man possessed. Very high character, intelligence, team captain, wrestling background, and then you look at his highlight reels -- he makes some ridiculous plays -- tackling players and defending the pass.
[ Edited by fortyninerglory on Apr 22, 2014 at 6:59 AM ]
MD,

In your opinion, how accurate are the overview and analysis of players at the official nfl.com draft site:

http://www.nfl.com/draft/2014/tracker?icampaign=nfl_drafttracker_nav-tracker

Thanks,
Originally posted by MadDog49er:
Originally posted by fortyninerglory:
If he were to be available at #30 how do his short arms affect Baalke and his fetish for long limbs.

If he is there at 30, the team has to take a long look. He is a very good player. I just think there are issues if he plays off coverage.

The team is a mess right now at corner, so they need to have a cohesive strategy. I like Philip Gaines a lot, and hope the team uses their first second rounder on him. I think he is going to be a second rounder (I have him sneaking into the second round). Way underrated.

Plus, the cornerback position depth is starting to take a hit with the likely pair of Purifoy and Hampton going undrafted. Both guys are a mess, and when they get kicked to the curb, it pushes down the overall quality of the CB position, which is still pretty strong.

Oh this is maybe why Rashaad Reynolds seems to be more enticing to scouts now...
Teams are dumb if they draft Martavis Bryant ahead of Moncrief and Jordan Matthews.
Originally posted by MadDog49er:
Originally posted by NCommand:
MD, can't thank you enough for all your work every year!

Thanks. Really tightening the board this time of year. Putting in the crazy work to get it straightened out. QB order and selection number a real mess.

Without a doubt. It's a very challenging year indeed. Big boards are all over the place this year as a result esp. b/c of so much talent in the 2nd-3rd rounds+.
blake bortles at #1 lol
  • GORO
  • Veteran
  • Posts: 1,838
Originally posted by MadDog49er:
Really good press corner, but is going to struggle playing off at the next level. I just see too much stiffness to transition in tracking receivers. All of the CB's drafted above him have better off-man skills. Take a look at the combination of 3 cone and shuttle numbers. Average to poor for a CB in the NFL. If someone can show me a solid CB in the NFL with similar cone and shuttle numbers, I would appreciate it. I couldn't find one.

I asked Gil Brandt via twitter: Has there ever been a pro bowler DB with poor combine numbers like D. Dennard? He responded, " Probably not, but specifics #s for position more important than aggregate. 7.07 cone does not project well as pro bowler."
MD, just out of curiosity... what are your thoughts on Johnny Manziel? Do you think he'll be successful at the pro level?
Originally posted by fortyninerglory:
MD,

In your opinion, how accurate are the overview and analysis of players at the official nfl.com draft site:

http://www.nfl.com/draft/2014/tracker?icampaign=nfl_drafttracker_nav-tracker

Thanks,


Depends on the player. I have Mack graded significantly higher than Clowney (he is not the only one), so my list would be different, but the strengths and weaknesses are pretty decent in their analysis. There are so many players, it is hard to make a complete analysis. I would have to dig deep into the talent pool.
Originally posted by fortyninerglory:
MD, what do you think of Rashaad Reynolds out of Oregon State? He seems to be shooting up the boards lately. When I look at his tape, albeit, only good highlights on youtube, he plays like a man possessed. Very high character, intelligence, team captain, wrestling background, and then you look at his highlight reels -- he makes some ridiculous plays -- tackling players and defending the pass.


Fans, mocks, experts kind of sleeping on him right now. Lacks the optimal height you want from a corner, but matches up in measurables with a Jason Verrett in numerous catagories. Probably a fourth round pick, but could be an instant nickel corner in the slot. I like the kid a lot. Tough, fiesty, and doesn't back down.
Originally posted by chico49erfan:
MD, just out of curiosity... what are your thoughts on Johnny Manziel? Do you think he'll be successful at the pro level?


Not high on him at all. Just think he is looking for the big play too often. When it comes down to it, being able to consistently make a clean third and eight pass for nine yards is just as important as the every once in a while circus play for forty yards. Great pocket awareness, but is going to get hit a LOT at the next level. Not sure he is going to get killed on the field.

I watched a ton of Texas A&M games this year, and saw a LOT of jump ball throws to Mike Evans, where Evans simply beat the defender. I think Evans made Manziel this year more than Manziel made Evans.
Originally posted by GORO:
I asked Gil Brandt via twitter: Has there ever been a pro bowler DB with poor combine numbers like D. Dennard? He responded, " Probably not, but specifics #s for position more important than aggregate. 7.07 cone does not project well as pro bowler."


Congrats on getting picked up by Brandt. In some cases, players can overcome numbers that do not look good on paper. However, they tend to be the rare exception. I am glad he agreed that the numbers do not look in his favor at the next level. Looking at the big picture, you have a guy who appears to be stiff in drills, which usually translates onto the field, as well as shorter than desired arm length. Some question marks for sure. Does not mean he is doomed, but limited in what he can do well. He has to be a press corner A LOT in the NFL to succeed. If they play him in off coverage, he is going to get roasted way too much.
Originally posted by susweel:
blake bortles at #1 lol

Yeah, surely backtracking off that one. Have him currently at number five to the Raiders, and Mack at number one. Will post updated board in a few days. Tightening things up.

I remain confident, yet swimming against the stream, that Clowney will not be the first player off the board. Agree with Crazy Merrill Hoge that he needs to work on a lot of things to be a consistently good player in the NFL.