LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 286 users in the forums

Trade up!

If Trent Balke wheeled and dealed in the draft and traded all of our picks to move up and snatch mike Evans and Gilbert, would you be happy? I know this is a deep draft year but if we could grab the number 2 WR and the number 1 cb I would pumped. We have the picks to make it happen,
I'm not even sure we have enough to trade up for both of them since we can't trade our 3rd round comp pick.
30, 56, and 61 would get us 9 to get Evans. Based on the old trade chart, this trade favors us - at best, we could probably trade 30, 56, and 77 for 9. There's a chance Evans goes at 7 to the Bucs which would cost even more.
77, 94, 129, 170, and some 7th round picks doesn't even get us into the first round let alone into the top 15 to draft Gilbert.

I would be fine with coming away with just those 2 players, but we don't have the picks to make this happen. Sure, we have 6 picks in the first 3 rounds, but they are all late in the around with the exception of 77 which is in the middle of the 3rd. And after those picks, we have a late 4th, a late 5th, and 3 late 7ths which won't net us much in trades.
[ Edited by eastcoast49ersfan on Apr 13, 2014 at 5:49 AM ]
trading our entire draft for 2 players makes no sense. this is one of the deepest drafts in memory. Just because this roster is stacked and really only needs immediate attention at 2 positions (WR, CB) the draft is a tool that keeps great teams great. This is a great opportunity to get what we need now and still build for the future. It won't be very long before we need see turnover at positions like RB, DE, OG, SS, K etc. we need to get out there and continue to build depth across the board and find future starters.
Throw in a couple late round picks like Colvin and Brandon Thomas and that could be a special draft. We're talking about a WR and CB projected to have near-Pro Bowl talent. Colvin and Thomas also have starting/2nd round talent.

Most teams would kill to get a #1 WR, #1 CB, starting LG, and #2 CB/Nickel. With a roster as deep as ours, we can't really do any better than that.
[ Edited by strickac on Apr 13, 2014 at 6:48 AM ]
Originally posted by matt49er:
trading our entire draft for 2 players makes no sense. this is one of the deepest drafts in memory. Just because this roster is stacked and really only needs immediate attention at 2 positions (WR, CB) the draft is a tool that keeps great teams great. This is a great opportunity to get what we need now and still build for the future. It won't be very long before we need see turnover at positions like RB, DE, OG, SS, K etc. we need to get out there and continue to build depth across the board and find future starters.

Very true, seems like some people forget how integral getting starters from the draft is to a good teams line-up,fiscal health and cap structure. Moving up to get one player that TB covets would not hurt, but paying the draft picks for 2 trade ups could lose us a lot of options.
[ Edited by highway49 on Apr 13, 2014 at 7:00 AM ]
Trade up #30 and #56 and get up to 15 and take Denard CB. And with #61 take Donte Moncrief WR. and with #77 Take CB McGill CB.
Originally posted by matt49er:

Absolutely. I would rather trade back 8-10 slots, pick up an early 2nd round pick for 2015 and then draft Stephen Tuitt for our DL. We could then use our two 2nd round picks to draft a talented WR and CB, have 3 more picks in the 3rd round where we could look for an OL, a saftey, a 2nd CB or 2nd WR and another pick in the 4th round for a 2nd CB or WR or possibly a PR/KR like Dri Archer. By the time the 5th round pick comes there will probably be some talented players that have fallen to us or we could select a pup list guy like Aaron Colvin.

We could end up with a lot of talent in this draft. It is widely accepted that the greatest draft in 49er history is the one where Bill Walsh traded back and stock piled a lot of picks in I think 86. This draft could set us up for years to come like that one did.

Some people think only 1st rd picks can really make an impact on the team and the rest are just depth. Tell that to our QB Kap. Or RB Gore. How about LB's Brooks and Bowman? DL McDonald or CB Brock. They are all big time players and only Kap was a 2nd rounder and the rest 3rd rounders or later. That doesn't include all the other players that contribute that were taken later in the draft like our other 3 RB's , FB, 2 starters on the O-line, Tank Carradine coming in this season on the DL, WR's Boldin and Patton, ect.....

Gore is our best RB of all time and he was a 3rd rd pick. So was Joe Montana the best QB of all time. Enough said.
Originally posted by highway49:
Very true, seems like some people forget how integral getting starters from the draft is to a good teams line-up,fiscal health and cap structure. Moving up to get one player that TB covets would not hurt, but paying the draft picks for 2 trade ups could lose us a lot of options.

It "could",....and that's why the staff has to look at the oft-overlooked factor here on the forums of the 53-man limit. After your 53, guys can cherry pick the left overs you would like to develop, but had no business drafting. This is where kids like Brandon Thomas and Easley are great options due to being able to "sneak" them onto the PUP for a year since our depth has us pretty full.

Other teams don't quite have the same luxury as teams like we and Seattle do because they need to fill roster spots NOW,... so we are at an advantage there and otherwise need to trade up and get our guy (as mentioned) or trade back to next years draft. I see no need to keep all the picks we have looking for almost all of them to win roster spots.
[ Edited by random49er on Apr 13, 2014 at 10:49 AM ]
Trent is WAYYYYYYYYYYY too smart to trade the farm for 2, I repeat 2 player.

Common Man!
Originally posted by LasVegasWally:
Trent is WAYYYYYYYYYYY too smart to trade the farm for 2, I repeat 2 player.

Common Man!

Agree a real scenario is to trade up in the 1st and 2nd round to get a WR & CB imo

The real question is if we traded up and they were both on the board who would you rather have?
I want to move up for a player in the mid teens, but not trade everything for 2 players..
  • LVJay
  • Veteran
We will be able to keep 5-6 (7 at the most) of the draft picks this year... that kinda talk would work for next year when the roster will be too loaded. This season, we're going to need a couple of CBs, at least one WR, one safety and depth for another position(s). I don't believe FO will go all in for just two players... I hope not.
I'd rather keep the 1st round pick, and take the best CB available. Then, trade up in 2, to try and hit Tuitt and come back with a WR with the next pick.
I'd rather them take the best player available with the 1 since it's a deep draft at the top, but no necessarily deep with top CB talent.

If there is no clear-cut Eric Reid type of fill-in at CB, I'd much rather us get a CB later. If the "best available" @ #30 is not a far distance from what the best available would be @ #60 or so,...then you're wasting pick value when you close your eyes and draft only by position.

Throw the suggested blind selections and go for the guy you are in love with.
[ Edited by random49er on Apr 13, 2014 at 12:02 PM ]
Share 49ersWebzone