LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 276 users in the forums

49ers Draft Prediction- TWO picks in Rnd 1, WR then CB (updated w/ ESPN, SFC, CSN)

If we moved up and grabbed Beckham and Fuller in the 1st I would not be mad.. just saying.
anybody know what it would take to get up to number 5? 1st 2nd this yr and 1st next year?
Originally posted by xcfan:
iupati-davis draft. dang, it's been 4 years already? dang

dang
Originally posted by pwillis52beasty:
Trading up for Mike Evans has smoke screen written all over it. Why would we trade up that far just to get another possession receiver? If we're going receiver, we're going after an explosive one.

Possession receiver?? 25% of his catches were for 20+ yds, he averaged 14.13 yards from the LOS and had a YAC of 7.63.

http://www.rotoworld.com/articles/cfb/46006/349/peshek-top-4-wr-metrics

Those aren't bad numbers far from a possession WR.
Originally posted by Whosgotitbetter:
anybody know what it would take to get up to number 5? 1st 2nd this yr and 1st next year?

Way too much Bro.
I am of two minds here. On one end, one can say that having more picks equates to a better chance of finding a gem. However, on the other hand, the probability at success is best at 1st rd picks. As such, I'd go against most conventional and my own thinking in this case since I believe the niners don't need average or mid-round picks and instead need superstars and instant starters for them to win the super bowl. And out of all the WRs, the only one that I think can do that right of the bat is Evans. He's a legitimate red-zone threat. We sucked at the RZ for the last 2 years and it cost us dearly in both games that we ended up exiting at the playoffs.
With CK's lack of QB instincts, he really needs his WRs to make a play for him as he just throws a prayer to them. Just like VD has been that player from a TE perspective, we need such a player in the WR side of things. Neither AB or MC can achieve that now, especially with the Seattle defense in question, and as such we need someone who is taller and can out muscle corner backs to get the TD even if there are folks draped all over them.
Give me Mike Evans and make it happen by hook or by crook.
I would love to have speed, but I don't think that solves our RZ problems, which along w/ 3rd down completions has been our bane for God knows how long.
Originally posted by Zachary:
dang

yeah wow. these players are getting older and we haven't done enough to replenish the roster. Who knows how CK will turn out - cause thats our only saving grace from recent drafts (considering MC + Aldon S.) might not be around past next year. Seriously, we completely whiffed on the draft 2 years ago and last year is yet to be seen. It'll all depend on how Eric Reid, Tank Carradine and Lattimore turn out.
Trade up for 2 firsts?

It could happen.

Trent/scouts have a very keen eye for DB talent. IMO, we have to come out of this draft w/a starting caliber CB and a developmental CB.

Next, Trent/Scouts haven't shown the same keen eye for WR talent. So, I think we'll trade up before the Jets and snag Odell Beckham. He's pro ready from day one.

I think in this deep draft we can get a starting CB in the 2nd round based on our evaluation of talent. We might have to trade up in the 2nd.
Originally posted by English:
Originally posted by Whosgotitbetter:

Way too much Bro.

Yeah unless its for Watkins, I don't see it. And even then, it's too much.
Originally posted by NickSh49:
UPDATE (4/25) - ESPN's Chris Mortensen stated on SportsCenter Friday that he's "heard more than twice" the 49ers could be "ready to do something big" in May's draft.

49ers GM Trent Baalke is working with 11 picks, including six selections in the top 100, so he has plenty of ammo to execute a trade up. Mort suggested the 49ers targeting Texas A&M WR Mike Evans, perhaps with a move into the top five. Mortensen said Oakland is "open for business" at No. 5 overall, and compared the hypothetical scenario to Atlanta's 2011 trade up for Julio Jones. Anquan Boldin is entering his age-34 season; Michael Crabtree is in a contract year.

I believe the San Francisco 49ers will make two first-round draft picks on Day One of the 2014 NFL Draft.

• I believe the 49ers will first move up into the 12-17 range and draft their wide receiver of choice. If I had to guess, I'd say they trade with the Chicago Bears at pick #14 and take WR Mike Evans of Texas A&M (EDIT - WR Odell Beckham of LSU would be another option). Either way, I see them going receiver, and I would bet money that the 49ers move up into the teens to do it. There's no way they wait until #30.

• I also believe the 49ers will then trade back into round one, into the 20-30 range, and take the best cornerback available. If I had to guess, I'd say they trade with the Green Bay Packers at #21 or Cincinnati Bengals at pick #24. I have no idea which player... I don't know much about the CB's in this draft, so I won't pretend to.

Reasons why? Lots of stuff you probably already know.

• Too many 2014 draft picks (11 total) for the 49ers, and the roster is full as it is.

• At WR, the 49ers are still paying for the bust that was the AJ Jenkins pick. Anquan Boldin has two years minimum left in him with this team, and the 49ers cannot wait another year to try to develop a stud-WR to replace him alongside Michael Crabtree. The 49ers need someone 100% ready for 2015, and Quinton Patton probably isn't the answer beyond being a solid #3, similar to a player like Atlanta's Harry Douglas. Not to mention the 49ers failed to find any depth at the position in free agency after trying out just about every #2 wide receiver they could find on the market. In addition, the Jim Harbaugh-49ers have also been severely unlucky with injuries at the receiver position over the past three years. There's no way this team goes into the 2014 season with Quinton Patton and Jon Baldwin (and Brandon Lloyd?) as their only insurance.

• At CB, the Chris Culliver arrest paired with both Tarrell Brown and Carlos Rogers leaving for the Oakland Raiders will push Trent Baalke to move up and draft a corner that can start Week One in 2014. The 49ers are simply short at the position, even though Culliver could potentially escape without suspension if he's lucky and start Week 1 regardless.

So why will the 49ers take a wide receiver before they take a cornerback this May? Simply because the 49ers as a franchise, historically and more prominently in recent years, do not place as much value on the corner position concerning their overall defensive approach. Defensively, they believe in beating their opponents using pressure from the front-seven rather than relying on lock-down corners on the edges. This is very similar to the defensive mentality employed by teams like the Pittsburgh Steelers and the Baltimore Ravens.

And in relation to the draft, the 49ers believe in finding value at the corner position in later rounds. Tramaine Brock was an undrafted free agent. Chris Culliver was an almost unknown third round pick. Tarell Brown was a fifth. Carlos Rodgers was a free agency reclamation project during the lockout. Perrish Cox was also a free agency find. The last time the 49ers took a corner in the first two rounds of the NFL Draft? Shawntae Spencer, #58 overall, in 2004.

And if the 49ers don't move up in the first round to grab their new cornerback, I believe they will probably do it in the second. Regardless, prepare yourself for the 49ers to take a wide receiver first, then a cornerback. My 2¢.

First, I think you have to go by what this organization has done recently (2010 and later). Although it is quite possible that the niners do take two first rounders, but due to recent circumstances at CB and everything, maybe not. The only time we had two first, was because we already had two. Second, baalke isn't afraid to move up, but hasn't shown to mortgage the future on move up. Plus, evans is thought to be a top ten pick. In as far as brock and brown, remember the niners had a lot more pressing needs. In 2010, singletary wanted to run the ball, so Baalke got two linemen, we could have gone CB in the second, but singletary who knows nothing about talent, was adamnant about Taylor Mays. 2011-Then we needed a pass rusher and QB of the future. QB came second cause they were comfortable with Alex for the time being. 2012 was the anamoly, although we needed a speed rec to compliment crabs, and since we are a run first team they thought of a change of pace back like LMJ (of course these didn't pan out). The reason we didn't go with CB, was because Carlos panned out and they like what they saw in camp and film of those already on the team.

If there is a common denominator it is based on need of rooster as well as bpa. The niners need CB more than wr, simply because of two basis, one, we are a defense first team, with a run based offense. Evans negative, he is not a good blocker. Plus we are thin at that position more than wr, we have three, I think patton will succeed crabs, but we do need a speedster but it is not a need as much as cb.

If there's any moving to be made, I'd rather try to acquire more 2nd and 3rd round picks, where there will be some starting caliber players. We can also then begin trading picks to load up for the 2015 draft. The highest rated player that I want at this point is Jason Verrett and even he can possibly be had at 30, but if Baalke doesn't want to wait, I don't mind making a move to ensure we get a player to lock down the slot position. After that, I see no absolute NEED to have another first round pick.
Originally posted by WildBill:
UPDATE (4/25) - ESPN's Chris Mortensen stated on SportsCenter Friday that he's "heard more than twice" the 49ers could be "ready to do something big" in May's draft.

49ers GM Trent Baalke is working with 11 picks, including six selections in the top 100, so he has plenty of ammo to execute a trade up. Mort suggested the 49ers targeting Texas A&M WR Mike Evans, perhaps with a move into the top five. Mortensen said Oakland is "open for business" at No. 5 overall, and compared the hypothetical scenario to Atlanta's 2011 trade up for Julio Jones. Anquan Boldin is entering his age-34 season; Michael Crabtree is in a contract year.

I believe the San Francisco 49ers will make two first-round draft picks on Day One of the 2014 NFL Draft.

• I believe the 49ers will first move up into the 12-17 range and draft their wide receiver of choice. If I had to guess, I'd say they trade with the Chicago Bears at pick #14 and take WR Mike Evans of Texas A&M (EDIT - WR Odell Beckham of LSU would be another option). Either way, I see them going receiver, and I would bet money that the 49ers move up into the teens to do it. There's no way they wait until #30.

• I also believe the 49ers will then trade back into round one, into the 20-30 range, and take the best cornerback available. If I had to guess, I'd say they trade with the Green Bay Packers at #21 or Cincinnati Bengals at pick #24. I have no idea which player... I don't know much about the CB's in this draft, so I won't pretend to.

Reasons why? Lots of stuff you probably already know.

• Too many 2014 draft picks (11 total) for the 49ers, and the roster is full as it is.

• At WR, the 49ers are still paying for the bust that was the AJ Jenkins pick. Anquan Boldin has two years minimum left in him with this team, and the 49ers cannot wait another year to try to develop a stud-WR to replace him alongside Michael Crabtree. The 49ers need someone 100% ready for 2015, and Quinton Patton probably isn't the answer beyond being a solid #3, similar to a player like Atlanta's Harry Douglas. Not to mention the 49ers failed to find any depth at the position in free agency after trying out just about every #2 wide receiver they could find on the market. In addition, the Jim Harbaugh-49ers have also been severely unlucky with injuries at the receiver position over the past three years. There's no way this team goes into the 2014 season with Quinton Patton and Jon Baldwin (and Brandon Lloyd?) as their only insurance.

• At CB, the Chris Culliver arrest paired with both Tarrell Brown and Carlos Rogers leaving for the Oakland Raiders will push Trent Baalke to move up and draft a corner that can start Week One in 2014. The 49ers are simply short at the position, even though Culliver could potentially escape without suspension if he's lucky and start Week 1 regardless.

So why will the 49ers take a wide receiver before they take a cornerback this May? Simply because the 49ers as a franchise, historically and more prominently in recent years, do not place as much value on the corner position concerning their overall defensive approach. Defensively, they believe in beating their opponents using pressure from the front-seven rather than relying on lock-down corners on the edges. This is very similar to the defensive mentality employed by teams like the Pittsburgh Steelers and the Baltimore Ravens.

And in relation to the draft, the 49ers believe in finding value at the corner position in later rounds. Tramaine Brock was an undrafted free agent. Chris Culliver was an almost unknown third round pick. Tarell Brown was a fifth. Carlos Rodgers was a free agency reclamation project during the lockout. Perrish Cox was also a free agency find. The last time the 49ers took a corner in the first two rounds of the NFL Draft? Shawntae Spencer, #58 overall, in 2004.

And if the 49ers don't move up in the first round to grab their new cornerback, I believe they will probably do it in the second. Regardless, prepare yourself for the 49ers to take a wide receiver first, then a cornerback. My 2¢.

First, I think you have to go by what this organization has done recently (2010 and later). Although it is quite possible that the niners do take two first rounders, but due to recent circumstances at CB and everything, maybe not. The only time we had two first, was because we already had two. Second, baalke isn't afraid to move up, but hasn't shown to mortgage the future on move up. Plus, evans is thought to be a top ten pick. In as far as brock and brown, remember the niners had a lot more pressing needs. In 2010, singletary wanted to run the ball, so Baalke got two linemen, we could have gone CB in the second, but singletary who knows nothing about talent, was adamnant about Taylor Mays. 2011-Then we needed a pass rusher and QB of the future. QB came second cause they were comfortable with Alex for the time being. 2012 was the anamoly, although we needed a speed rec to compliment crabs, and since we are a run first team they thought of a change of pace back like LMJ (of course these didn't pan out). The reason we didn't go with CB, was because Carlos panned out and they like what they saw in camp and film of those already on the team.

If there is a common denominator it is based on need of rooster as well as bpa. The niners need CB more than wr, simply because of two basis, one, we are a defense first team, with a run based offense. Evans negative, he is not a good blocker. Plus we are thin at that position more than wr, we have three, I think patton will succeed crabs, but we do need a speedster but it is not a need as much as cb.

Incorrect on drafting two players. The 49ers traded back into the first round to take Joe Staley at #28, which I know was a long time ago, but still.

I agree the 49ers are a defensive team (and a run-first team, for that matter). However, I do not think WR is any more secure than CB. Crabs may or may not stay. Boldin has 2-3 years at most. There are absolutely no guarantees on Patton. And Lloyd is insurance.

And because of all of that, I believe the 49ers will take their future franchise WR in Round 1 this year, especially since it can take WR's a year or two to adjust to the pro game.

Really though, it will probably come down to the 49ers BPA. If their guy is available and they can get a deal done, they'll move up for their favorite of the two positions. There are arguments for both sides, but I think waiting on taking a franchise WR until we're desperate a year from now is a mistake. And I still believe Baalke will look to the second round and beyond for secondary help rather than try to hit on a gem at the WR position in later rounds. Again, the talent drop-off from round 1 to 2 in terms of the caliber of WR is significant. My 2¢.

And again, on page 2 of this thread, we determined the 49ers would probably move up once in Round 1 and then move up again in Round 2. Seems to make the most sense.
[ Edited by NickSh49 on Apr 28, 2014 at 1:20 PM ]
  • Giedi
  • Veteran
Originally posted by NYniner85:
Lloyd didn't even play last yr and isn't even guaranteed spot! We need play makers on this team now not development players. I want someone who can open the field and allow us to have 3 WR sets plus give Davis one on one match ups with no safety help. I hope we move up for ODB JR he would be able to create miss matches and take care of punt/kick returns...There was a reason we were looking at Djax, sanders and Edelman.

To explain my position better, I can see Lloyd replacing a possible 3rd or 4rth round WR pick and that allows us to trade one or two of our 3rd round picks for a possible late 2nd rounder or move up to the early part of the 3rd round for a cornerback if we use our 30th first round pick and package that with additional lower round Picks like a 3rd and a 4rth to move up and possibly get Mike Evans. Loyd probably can take Baldwin's spot, if all things fall into place for him. I get the fact that he'll have a tough time making the team if we draft more than one WR in this draft. Crabs, Anquan, Patton are I think locks. Baldwin is probably the odd man out, and Osgood is a special teamer. If LMJ is let go/traded, that frees up another spot for WR.

Even though Lloyd didn't play last year, both Harbaugh and Baalke think he can play, otherwise I doubt they'd waste the clubs money by signing a WR has been.
They would have to trade both 2nd round picks for another 1st. While having 2 1st round picks is nice since you get the 5th year of a contract, I think they might stay pat at #30 or a marginal trade up in the 1st and than may be make a move in the 2nd, similar to the trade up for Kap. Hopefully it won't cost more than a 3rd.
  • Giedi
  • Veteran
Mostly to Giedi...

First off, Lloyd is insurance. That's it. He's there in case someone gets injured.

Think that's wrong? During every season of the Harbaugh era, the WR position has been decimated by injuries. In 2011, we lost everyone except Crabtree, which brought the likes of Brett Swain to a starting position. In 2012, Manningham & Kyle Williams both went down, leaving Crabs, Moss, & Ginn as the only starters. In 2013, Manningham was still hurt and Crabtree & Patton went down for half the season.

See a trend there? You have to look at this team and think of it without Lloyd AND Anquan Boldin. Lloyd is a insurance... he won't be here long and the 49ers would rather move forward without having to rely on him period. Meanwhile, Boldin has only got probably two years left. And Patton is a project that may or may not work out.

So assuming Boldin is done in two years, why would you wait until Round 2 or 3 to draft your next starter at the WR position? Why wouldn't you move up in Round 1 (since they have the picks to do it and nearly a full roster) and take a guy that will without a doubt start on this team for the next 5-8 years?

That's what i'm talking about. Even if Patton works out, he could be the #3. Crabs & a guy like Evans or Beckham, Jr. would be your #1 & #2.

And I counter your "drafting WR" argument with the fact that the 49ers have not taken a CB in the draft in the first two rounds cine Shawntae Spencer in 2004. That logic goes both ways. And while I agree with you that the 49ers win games with defense, the WR position has been a problem with this team dating back to the Erickson-era. Yeah, they got Crabs, but haven't found anyone consistent to play opposite of him. I think they'll move up for that guy come draft day.

Like I said, if they move up to get Evans I certainly wouldn't mind.

Having said that, really this offense doesn't need a Mike Evans. First of all, he's not the burner I think Harbaugh and Baalke are looking for. They already have two ball control possession receivers in Anquan and Crabs, Evans might not see much action considering he's built more along the lines of Anquan and Crabs. I think they are looking more for speed, a la Cooks or maybe some of the other burners. Like you said the draft is deep in the 2nd and 3rd rounds - and a 2nd or 3rd rounder this year is a probably first or second next year. So while I like a guy like Evans, I think they go cornerback because it solidifies the defense so much more and cures a possible problem with Cully and his legal problems. They have been bringing in *old* receivers like Moss and Braylon and they have made the team. I think you and I agree that Harbaugh values the defense a lot, and the loss of Whitner and Brown really forces them to go the Eric Reid route and get a cornerback with that first pick. Because this draft is deep in WR's, I believe they can use lower round picks on WR's this year, which will be the equivalent of a higher round pick next year.
Share 49ersWebzone