LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 258 users in the forums

49ers Draft Prediction- TWO picks in Rnd 1, WR then CB (updated w/ ESPN, SFC, CSN)

• Giedi
  • Veteran
Originally posted by NickSh49:
Baalke was responsible for the 2010 draft.

Regardless, what's the point of waiting? The 49ers need starters, not depth. They barely need 7 new players, let alone 11.

The Niners will take the stud-players they want unless they can't find a trade partner. Two guys in the first round. Bet on it.

Personally the signing of Lloyd to a one year contract allows the 49ers the flexibility to draft a developmental WR in this years draft. I.e. they can get a physically talented WR but without the accomplishments of a top pick and develop him for a year. I do think the 49ers will trade up for a top flight WR, that position needs some depth as the cap will destroy it by next year, but it will be after they pick up a top flight cornerback. WR hasn't been a big concern for this front office and the coaching staff since they have been here. I believe that other than AJ Jenkins -- the other 3 WR's chosen in the previous drafts were very low round picks. Harbaugh places a premium on strong defenses to close out and win games, and he's not really shown an interest in putting a lot of high draft capital in the WR position in previous years other than AJ Jenkins. Patton has been developing nicely and was productive in the playoffs. I believe the signing of Lloyd, the development of Patton, and the depth of this draft will allow the 49ers to choose a WR possibly in the 2nd or 3rd rounds rather than the first.

But if they do draft Mike Evans with their first round pick - and I don't know how expensive that trade will be - I certainly won't mind!!!
Not too enthused about trading a bunch of picks in a deep draft class to get a WR that may not even end up better than some guys that could be had at #30 or the 2nd round.
Ditto....Dumb move in a draft with so much depth.
Originally posted by Giedi:

Regardless, what's the point of waiting? The 49ers need starters, not depth. They barely need 7 new players, let alone 11.

The Niners will take the stud-players they want unless they can't find a trade partner. Two guys in the first round. Bet on it.

Personally the signing of Lloyd to a one year contract allows the 49ers the flexibility to draft a developmental WR in this years draft. I.e. they can get a physically talented WR but without the accomplishments of a top pick and develop him for a year. I do think the 49ers will trade up for a top flight WR, that position needs some depth as the cap will destroy it by next year, but it will be after they pick up a top flight cornerback. WR hasn't been a big concern for this front office and the coaching staff since they have been here. I believe that other than AJ Jenkins -- the other 3 WR's chosen in the previous drafts were very low round picks. Harbaugh places a premium on strong defenses to close out and win games, and he's not really shown an interest in putting a lot of high draft capital in the WR position in previous years other than AJ Jenkins. Patton has been developing nicely and was productive in the playoffs. I believe the signing of Lloyd, the development of Patton, and the depth of this draft will allow the 49ers to choose a WR possibly in the 2nd or 3rd rounds rather than the first.

But if they do draft Mike Evans with their first round pick - and I don't know how expensive that trade will be - I certainly won't mind!!!
Lloyd didn't even play last yr and isn't even guaranteed spot! We need play makers on this team now not development players. I want someone who can open the field and allow us to have 3 WR sets plus give Davis one on one match ups with no safety help. I hope we move up for ODB JR he would be able to create miss matches and take care of punt/kick returns...There was a reason we were looking at Djax, sanders and Edelman.
  • kem99
  • Veteran
The Mort report sounds like typical draft smoke and mirrors but if they did trade up to 5, it should be for Watkins, not Evans.

Beyond that, if they trade up to the middle of the 1st round, I'd expect it to be for a CB. Both positions are deep but WR seems a little deeper in the 2nd tier (w/ Watkins and Evans in the 1st tier) and there seems like there is a real possibility that there could be a run on CB's that starts around the middle of Round 1, so if the 49ers want one of the top 5-6 CB's, they may very well need to move up.

That said, they've been pretty good at finding CB's, so it might be a move-up in the 2nd round to get a CB that they particularly like and believe can come in and play that the Kipers and McShays of the world view as going later, such as what occurred when the 49ers selected Culliver.
I'm all for them doing them something big a CB and WR in the first is what's needed. There gonna have to, to make up for the lack of aggressiveness in free agency. But trading into the top 5 for Evans is not a good move. I rather move into the 15 range for a WR and a corner at the end of the round or vice versa.
[ Edited by Raul98 on Apr 25, 2014 at 4:10 PM ]
Just because Baalke has 11 picks overall doesn't mean he'll burn a bunch to get 2 1st rd picks. I also beg to differ with those who're saying he needs to draft starters...no, he doesn't. If Cully escapes suspension he and Brock are your starting CB's. Bethea and Reid are the starting S. Wilhoite will fill in for Bowman with Moody/draft pick for depth. Skuta is a quality b/u for Aldon or Brooks. Lemonier will also get plenty of PT. There's plenty of depth on the DL, especially with Carradine and Williams available. So, I ask, at what position would Baalke draft a starter on defense? None!

On offense, Boldin & Crabtree will be the starting WR's. I'd guess Lloyd will be the #3 and Patton #4. Vernon, VMac and Celek or a rookie #3 TE. Carrier may well be the H-Back. Along the OL, only Iupati's availability is somewhat in question. I guess you could add AD to that list, but it sounds like he'll be ready to go after recovering from shoulder surgery. With Martin and Marquardt's OT depth, Looney and Seymour OG depth, where would any rookie "start". Nowhere. No rookie will start at QB...first two are set, I'd imagine Baalke will draft a QB for depth. In the backfield, it's pretty full with Gore, Hunter, Lattimore, & James. No rookie will start there. So, I ask again, at what position would Baalke draft a starter on offense? Again, none!

ST's look pretty set, as well. Osgood and Co. are outstanding...it's possible a rookie might get some PT there, but probably nothing too substantial.

Baalke does need to draft future starters...at WR, for sure, which is why I'm saying Matthews to replace Crabtree and Ellington to give Kap a speedy slot receiver/KR. He may draft an OL...somebody like Seymour, who played just about everywhere on Vanderbilt's OL. He could draft a C, but it's looking like Kilgore will most likely be the starter. Looney, Seymour and Snyder are all capable of playing the position. He'll probably draft a quality S to potentially replace Bethea down the line. He'll draft 1-2 CB's, but I seriously doubt any rookie he drafts would start.

I can see Baalke using his later rd picks to garner more in the 1st 4 rds and/or picks for next year. He could well trade out of #30. Who knows? Just because Mortensen believes he'll have 2 first rd picks doesn't mean he'll do that. Trading up can mean in any rd, not just the 1st. Trading up that early is the most costly and potentially damaging toward Baalke's end goal. Again, who knows. That's why we'll all be tuned in on May 8-10 to see what happens. How 'bout some picks for a vet? Could happen.
Originally posted by Negrodamus:
Didn't know Scott McLaughlin was back as the GM

Agree!!!

I agree with your thoughts about target two impact players in the first round also.

I would love to land one of the top CBs and one of the impact WRs, would be huge for our '14 season.
Originally posted by CorvaNinerFan:
Just because Baalke has 11 picks overall doesn't mean he'll burn a bunch to get 2 1st rd picks. I also beg to differ with those who're saying he needs to draft starters...no, he doesn't. If Cully escapes suspension he and Brock are your starting CB's. Bethea and Reid are the starting S. Wilhoite will fill in for Bowman with Moody/draft pick for depth. Skuta is a quality b/u for Aldon or Brooks. Lemonier will also get plenty of PT. There's plenty of depth on the DL, especially with Carradine and Williams available. So, I ask, at what position would Baalke draft a starter on defense? None!

On offense, Boldin & Crabtree will be the starting WR's. I'd guess Lloyd will be the #3 and Patton #4. Vernon, VMac and Celek or a rookie #3 TE. Carrier may well be the H-Back. Along the OL, only Iupati's availability is somewhat in question. I guess you could add AD to that list, but it sounds like he'll be ready to go after recovering from shoulder surgery. With Martin and Marquardt's OT depth, Looney and Seymour OG depth, where would any rookie "start". Nowhere. No rookie will start at QB...first two are set, I'd imagine Baalke will draft a QB for depth. In the backfield, it's pretty full with Gore, Hunter, Lattimore, & James. No rookie will start there. So, I ask again, at what position would Baalke draft a starter on offense? Again, none!

ST's look pretty set, as well. Osgood and Co. are outstanding...it's possible a rookie might get some PT there, but probably nothing too substantial.

Baalke does need to draft future starters...at WR, for sure, which is why I'm saying Matthews to replace Crabtree and Ellington to give Kap a speedy slot receiver/KR. He may draft an OL...somebody like Seymour, who played just about everywhere on Vanderbilt's OL. He could draft a C, but it's looking like Kilgore will most likely be the starter. Looney, Seymour and Snyder are all capable of playing the position. He'll probably draft a quality S to potentially replace Bethea down the line. He'll draft 1-2 CB's, but I seriously doubt any rookie he drafts would start.

I can see Baalke using his later rd picks to garner more in the 1st 4 rds and/or picks for next year. He could well trade out of #30. Who knows? Just because Mortensen believes he'll have 2 first rd picks doesn't mean he'll do that. Trading up can mean in any rd, not just the 1st. Trading up that early is the most costly and potentially damaging toward Baalke's end goal. Again, who knows. That's why we'll all be tuned in on May 8-10 to see what happens. How 'bout some picks for a vet? Could happen.

Exceptional analysis!
Originally posted by Louisiana49er:
Ditto....Dumb move in a draft with so much depth.

What's more "dumb" is to draft players that can't make your squad that provide depth, when you can draft impact players that can contribute from day one...

Trading up for Mike Evans has smoke screen written all over it. Why would we trade up that far just to get another possession receiver? If we're going receiver, we're going after an explosive one.
Originally posted by pwillis52beasty:
Trading up for Mike Evans has smoke screen written all over it. Why would we trade up that far just to get another possession receiver? If we're going receiver, we're going after an explosive one.

Agree with this 100%
Originally posted by eastie:
Originally posted by CorvaNinerFan:

Exceptional analysis!
I agree. WR is the area they need to focus on for future starters. But because they are looking for a FUTURE starter, I really think they should roll the dice on Kelvin Benjamin. He's not as "pro ready" as Beckham, but I think he has much start potential as any WR in this draft (except Watkins...).

The big question for me is: is Benjamin REALLY as far down the draft board for most teams as he is for all the "experts?"

To me, he seems like the kind of player teams could be quietly high on.

Man, I can't wait for the draft... It's like Christmas!!
We should stay right where we are, with a bit of luck Kelv. Benj will be there and then we can watch him run over Richard Sherman. Don't panick the niners are sitting pretty, if they don't mind eating a little crow Austin Sef. or Troy Nilkas in the second would give them a nice much needed redzone target.
Originally posted by kem99:
The Mort report sounds like typical draft smoke and mirrors but if they did trade up to 5, it should be for Watkins, not Evans.

Beyond that, if they trade up to the middle of the 1st round, I'd expect it to be for a CB. Both positions are deep but WR seems a little deeper in the 2nd tier (w/ Watkins and Evans in the 1st tier) and there seems like there is a real possibility that there could be a run on CB's that starts around the middle of Round 1, so if the 49ers want one of the top 5-6 CB's, they may very well need to move up.

That said, they've been pretty good at finding CB's, so it might be a move-up in the 2nd round to get a CB that they particularly like and believe can come in and play that the Kipers and McShays of the world view as going later, such as what occurred when the 49ers selected Culliver.

Of course it would be for Watkins. I mean seriously people?

How many times was Mike Evans given a handoff by his team? How many times was he thrown a screen? A couple?
Sammy Watkins took a "handful" of screens to the house. He is infinity Google Plex more talented than Mike "I caught a few jump balls" Evans.

Moving up for Watkins at number 5 would be the only dramatic move up I could accept. I still don't think it is a good idea for the long term, but I would be very excited if our team ended up with Sammy Friggin Watkins.
[ Edited by BrianGO on Apr 25, 2014 at 6:24 PM ]
Share 49ersWebzone