Third round: Bashaud Breeland CB Clemson
Third round: C.J. Fiedeorowicz TE Iowa
Third round Comp: David Fales QB San Jose State
Fourth round: John Brown WR Pitts St
Fifth round: Brandon Thomas G Clemson
Fifth round: Aaron Colvin, CB, Oklahoma
Sixth round: Trey Millard FB/TE Oklahoma

Previous:
Our main need is speed and playmakers for the offense. We'll take an outside WR and a slot WR. We also need a new return man. Baalke can find good CB prospects without going CB first. We need to prepare for Crabtree and Iupati likely leaving after Kaep takes a big salary.

Trade:
LMJ to move up in the 2nd.
1st, 3rd, and a 7th to move up in the 1st

Draft:

First round: Brandin Cooks WR Oregon State
Second round: Donte Moncrief WR Ole Miss
Second round: Weston Richburg C Colorado ST
Third round: Bashaud Breeland, CB Clemson
Third round: traded to move up in the 1st
Third round Comp: Dri Archer RB/WR Kent State
Fourth round: David Fales QB San Jose State
Seventh round: Jestin Love S Central Arkansas
Seventh round: Trey Millard FB/TE Oklahoma
Seventh round: traded to move up in the 1st
[ Edited by jobiwon on Apr 30, 2014 at 9:01 PM ]
Originally posted by jobiwon:
Our main need is speed and playmakers for the offense. We'll take an outside WR and a slot WR. We also need a new return man. Baalke can find good CB prospects without going CB first. We need to prepare for Crabtree and Iupati likely leaving after Kaep takes a big salary.

Trade:
LMJ to move up in the 2nd.
1st, 3rd, and a 7th to move up in the 1st

Draft:

First round: Brandin Cooks WR Oregon State
Second round: Donte Moncrief WR Ole Miss
Third round: Bashaud Breeland, CB Clemson
Third round: traded to move up in the 1st
Third round Comp: Dri Archer RB/WR Kent State
Fourth round: David Fales QB San Jose State
Seventh round: Jestin Love S Central Arkansas
Seventh round: Trey Millard FB/TE Oklahoma
Seventh round: traded to move up in the 1st

Only 1 CB??? Don't think we need a C that soon.
I agree that offense should be Baalke's first concern and that this is a gutsy post on the webzone. The defensive mavericks will blow raspberries. The roster will have a hard, if not impossible, time to place three receivers. I think trading up in the first round will take place, but just as possibly for a CB. I hope for a WR. I want a WR in the draft that will push Boldin to #3.
Culliver despite his troubles will be one starter along with Brock. Wright will be the 3rd guy and has starter experiance. Morris will be much improved. Cox provides good depth. Cook will have a role. We need a rookie with potiential but I don't see the room for two CB's. We have room for the 2 WR's. Archer will take LMJ's place as the returner. He could eventually see snaps at RB and WR.
Our defense can hold its own. We need more points out of the offense and special teams and we'd be hard to beat.
We need a CB more than we need a CB. With Culliver's status up in the air at the moment, losing Brown, Rogers, and Whitner, CB is clearly the most important need.

Offensively we have: Boldin, Crabtree, V. DAvis, McDonald, Patton, and 15 RBs (LOL). Not to mention a mobile QB that can scramble for yards. THe offense needs a spark plug who can stretch the field that can be obtained in the middle rounds somewhere. We NEED starting help in the secondary. Not a WR who may or may not take the 3rd WR position away from Patton.
Originally posted by Canadian9erfan:
We need a CB more than we need a CB. With Culliver's status up in the air at the moment, losing Brown, Rogers, and Whitner, CB is clearly the most important need.

Offensively we have: Boldin, Crabtree, V. DAvis, McDonald, Patton, and 15 RBs (LOL). Not to mention a mobile QB that can scramble for yards. THe offense needs a spark plug who can stretch the field that can be obtained in the middle rounds somewhere. We NEED starting help in the secondary. Not a WR who may or may not take the 3rd WR position away from Patton.
A WR, selected high enough, should challenge not only Patton for #3 WR but Boldin for #2. IMO. With the offense's unfavorable comparison to the defense last season and the consistent multiple injuries to WRs (Crabtree, Vernon, Patton twice last year; Manningham, Williams the previous season) overwhelming the relative health of Niners' secondary (one injury to Culliver), a top WR (e.g. Evans) is at least a valuable consideration as a CB.
We need a CB more than we need a CB.

Surreal!
Originally posted by English:
We need a CB more than we need a CB.

Surreal!

WR is a sexy position, so people want to draft all the WRs they hear about. CB is BY FAR our biggest need. Think about it:

Crabtree/Boldin/Patton >>>>>>> Culliver/Brock/?

Culliver is in limbo because of his arrest, Brock was considered a waste of a roster spot at the beginning of the season, Wright hasn't really played in a year, and Cox was an after thought. I do like Morris' potential, but he has accomplished nothing as a CB so far. We need a rookie CB who is ready to play NOW. If not, our defense will be significantly worse this year.

Crabtree and Boldin are the starters. Even if we moved up and drafted Sammy Watkins, he would still be a thrid WR this year. Add the development of Patton and any rookie WR is going to have a very tough time getting on the field. Yes, we need to bring in a WR to develop, but the necessity is not nearly as high as CB.
The 49ers are not going to push Boldin to the bench for a rookie WR. They didn't resign him and pay him Millions to ride the pine. Besides, rookie WR's seldom have big impacts. Look up the rookie years of John Taylor, Terrel Owens, Michael Crabtree, Quinton Patton. WR is one of the toughest positions to adjust to the NFL. I would like to see the 49ers draft a couple of young talented prospects to develop at WR. We have 7 picks in the 1st 4 rounds and we should use 2 of them at WR.

You are underestimating the need at CB. Brock is solid.

Culliver is coming off a major injury and we don't know if he will be back to 100%. He was the nickel CB when he was injured, not a proven starter. Now we have his legal problems. Even if he doesn't end up in jail ( hit and run) there could be a league suspension coming.

Wright was benched last year and replaced on the depth chart by Cox who had been cut during the season and then resigned.

We don't know yet what to expect from Cook but he hasn't exactly shined in the NFL up to this point.

We have 1 proven CB in Brock, A shaky situation with Culliver and some back ups in Wright, Cook, Cox and Morris. We need a top quality CB capable of coming in and starting for us and it wouldn't hurt to draft a second top quality CB to develop.

If we use 2 picks at WR and 2 more at CB in the 1st 4 rounds of a very deep draft that would leave us 3 more picks to add talent at other positions as well as our 4 other picks in the later rounds.
None of our CB's will wow you so we do need someone relatively high, but all the guys we have can play and fill the roles on the defense. It wasn't an issue last year even with Cox playing.
Every year at some point, we seem to get down to one viable WR along with VD in the middle. Teams can cover that and then pack it in on our run game. A couple years back we only had Crabtree in the playoffs. Then the next year, it was Crabtree and a crappy Moss. Then last year, we only had Boldin at times. We need to make sure we have depth to have two decent WR's on the field. We really need someone with speed to keep the defense honest too.
Crabs could get hurt again and is likely to demand a contract that could see him leave in the near future. We need to stock up now.

It's always possible that they could not pick someone like Archer at the end of the 3rd and go for another CB like Walt Aikens from Liberty.

2 WR and a C before our biggest need position = fail IMO.

CB is addressed way to late and we better be drafting at least 2. I like the players for the most part, just think CB is far too large of a need to wait to address until our 4th pick.
You're advocating trading 3 picks to move up to get Cooks...hmm. I doubt Baalke would do that. He might trade up a few slots to maybe pick CB Fuller. Or, he might trade out of the #30 slot to gain another 2nd rd pick.

I definintely don't see TB taking WR's with his first two picks. He could take BPA at #30 if he & Harbaugh are so inclined. That could be a DL.

Think Moncrief doesn't have the body of work Matthews does...compare their career numbers.

Don't see Baalke taking a C in rd 2...he might pick an interior OL in this draft, but I doubt it'd be that early. That said, he's already got Looney, Seymour, and Snyder as depth behind Kilgore.

Breeland's a guy Baalke likes, so good pick.

If TB took Cooks, chances are he wouldn't draft Archer. If he got a CB in rd 1 and Matthews in rd 2, then a guy like Herron would make a lot of sense. Difference between him and Archer is 20-25 lbs of muscle.

The rest are meh.
Originally posted by CorvaNinerFan:
You're advocating trading 3 picks to move up to get Cooks...hmm. I doubt Baalke would do that. He might trade up a few slots to maybe pick CB Fuller. Or, he might trade out of the #30 slot to gain another 2nd rd pick.

I definintely don't see TB taking WR's with his first two picks. He could take BPA at #30 if he & Harbaugh are so inclined. That could be a DL.

Think Moncrief doesn't have the body of work Matthews does...compare their career numbers.

Don't see Baalke taking a C in rd 2...he might pick an interior OL in this draft, but I doubt it'd be that early. That said, he's already got Looney, Seymour, and Snyder as depth behind Kilgore.

Breeland's a guy Baalke likes, so good pick.

If TB took Cooks, chances are he wouldn't draft Archer. If he got a CB in rd 1 and Matthews in rd 2, then a guy like Herron would make a lot of sense. Difference between him and Archer is 20-25 lbs of muscle.

The rest are meh.
I will pass on your draft. Hopefully Harbaalke will too.
Nice try!

Agree we need speed WR. BUT not 3 picks for Cooks. I'd see 2 pick for Beckham - maybe?

DEFINITELY NOT a C w/ our first 2nd rounder or IMO for any 2nd rounder.

WE have Kilgore as the starter [for sure - book it!]

WE have too many other immediate and near future needs.

This draft is bursting with talent and the first 3 rounds we can get a very high quality CB, WR, S, G, DE that would be light years ahead in improving the team than a C.

Look in 4th - 5th for C.
Here's my latest on what I see happening. I think we keep Smith long term so no OLB/DE picks there. There are two CB picks so people won't freak out about that.

Trade:
LMJ plus a 7th for a 5th
Two 7th picks for a sixth

Draft:

First round: Cody Latimer WR Indiana
Second round: Deone Buchanon S Washington State
Third round: Bashaud Breeland CB Clemson
Third round: C.J. Fiedeorowicz TE Iowa
Third round Comp: David Fales QB San Jose State
Fourth round: John Brown WR Pitts St