There are 157 users in the forums

irish's 1000th post... MOCK DRAFT...V2.0

First off I want to say that I've been with the Webzone for a very long time and I don't tend to post unless I find it necessary, hence its taken me almost 10 years to get to 1000 posts.

It was the 2005 draft that gave me my borderline obsession with the 49ers draft and the draft process... I want to thank OTC, MadDog, and AB81 for the early years of draft and salary cap updates that helped me through the offseason's.

TRADES:
SF trade #30 and #77 to TEN for #11
SF trades LaMichael James to Eagles for #162 (5th) ... Chip Kelly can use James much better than we could, we part ways. Good for both teams and player.
SF trades the #129(4th) to the Raiders for a 2015 3rd round pick.
SF trades the #242 to the Patriots for a 2015 6th round pick.

DRAFT:

#11- Justin Gilbert CB OK State
Baalke trades up to get an instant starter and very good corner with a high ceiling due to his athletic ability. Gilbert will contribute in his rookie year and also makes James expendable because of his ability to return kicks at a high level.

#56- LaMarcus Joyner CB/S Florida State
In this deep draft we wait and take best DB/WR, in this case Joyner falls to us. He is tough as nails and will be a great nickle corner and transition to a Safety position when Bethea is done or continue to be a undersized CB to follow the shifty WR's in the slot.

#61- Donte Moncrief WR Ole Miss
A promising WR that will stretch the field and add some height to the WR corps. Needs to work on the route tree and concentration as drops were a slight issue, but can also make circus catches. Needs to learn to catch the ball at the high point and not body catch. Boldin will help tremendously as an on the field coach and mentor.

#94- Jarvis Landry WR LSU
I honestly dont think we will/can resign Michael Crabtree, We'll focus on resigning Kaep and keep our salary cap under control by continuing to add solid rookie talent. Landry is a GREAT hands catcher, blocker, and fearless catcher in the middle of the field. Not a speedster or #1 WR, therefore is still here. He will be honored and very fortunate to learn under a veteran like Boldin, Landry could be considered a Boldin clone and IMO a steal in the 3rd thanks to the deep talent in the draft.

#100- CJ Fiedorowicz TE Iowa
Vernon isn't getting any younger and we sorely need to upgrade the #3 TE with all the talent we have on the roster. CJ has the size to block in the NFL and big soft hands, but doesn't have alot of college production as a receiving tight end. Will push McDonald to be the #2.

#129- Traded away for a 3rd rounder in 2015 to the Oakland Raiders.

#162- Brandon Thomas OG Clemson
Poor kid tore his knee during a workout with the saints, he was a low 2nd rounder to high 3rd rounder pre injury. He could be this years Tank Carradine. He will be placed on the IR and hence will learn behind Iupati and not lose a year on the contract.

#170- Aaron Colvin CB Oklahoma
Another talented player that was shooting up the draft boards before he tore his ACL. He will spend the year on the IR and learn from the bench and allow us to focus on DL upgrades in next years draft. Should have been gone in the 2nd round if not injured, our talented roster is making other GM's puke because we can invest in the future without hurting the present SB run we are making.

#242- Traded to NE for a 6th rounder in 2015.

#243- Nickoe Whitley S Miss State
A tough as nails football player, played most of his senior season on a torn ACL, has good instincts and can play the ball and make turnovers. Not the most gifted athlete, but rather a mentally tough player that hopefully works hard to breakdown QB film and could be a starter in the NFL in a couple of years.

#245- Howard Jones OLB Shepard
Small school prospect that could go anywhere from 5th round to UDFA, a very athletic player who was consistent statistically. Started as a WR then went to the defensive side of the ball. Has room to grow strength wise. With a NFL training program he could fill his frame and get the strength he'll need in the NFL. Has possible learning issues and could struggle with learning a complicated NFL playbook. Special teams and great camp competition at OLB.

I'll be adding the 53 man roster tomorrow, its getting late.

NOTE:
I wanted to get a impact player and add to the DB and WR group, I realize that I didn't add a QB or ILB. I feel that Wilhoite will fill in nicely and Moody could surprise also. I dont think a rookie would push either off the roster unless he is picked in the top 100. I trust in Harbaugh and if he likes Gabbert then great! He was a 1st round talent and a change of scenery could help the kid and his confidence.
[ Edited by irishluder on Apr 10, 2014 at 12:00 AM ]
Congrats on the 1,000th post. Appreciate the love.

I think we may need to add in an extra pick for the 11th pick, maybe a 5th or 7th, not sure the chart. Mock looks good. Landry may go higher. Rest looks good. I would be more than pleased with this mock, plus the trades would be great, stockpile extra picks in 2015 would be a great idea.
[ Edited by AB81Rules on Apr 10, 2014 at 12:05 AM ]
  • mayo49
  • Veteran
Nice mock, very well done and realistic.
Not really a good mock. Gilbert isn't really worth to trade up. Nope, he isn't going to be an instant starter. I only like your pick on Moncrief and Brandon Thomas, but I disagree with the rest of your selections.
Originally posted by TheRedDemonWillis52:
Not really a good mock. Gilbert isn't really worth to trade up. Nope, he isn't going to be an instant starter. I only like your pick on Moncrief and Brandon Thomas, but I disagree with the rest of your selections.

Says who? He and Dennard could definitely start from day one.
Originally posted by mayo49:

REALISTIC ???? REALLY ????? Pick #11 is 1250 points , pickz #30 N #77 together are 825 points...That trade is so BS N so unrealistic we have to give up #30 , #56 N #61 to get #11 ....why do people think just cause tha cowgirlz were dumb N left almost 100 points of trade value on tha table that everyone else will ????
Originally posted by tatdwolf49:
REALISTIC ???? REALLY ????? Pick #11 is 1250 points , pickz #30 N #77 together are 825 points...That trade is so BS N so unrealistic we have to give up #30 , #56 N #61 to get #11 ....why do people think just cause tha cowgirlz were dumb N left almost 100 points of trade value on tha table that everyone else will ????

You could also argue that because this draft has so much value in the 2nd, 3rd, and 4th rounds that those selections are worth more this year... AND Tennessee doesn't have a 3rd round pick... because we had their's from a prior trade.

The draft trade value chart's online don't mean anything come draft day... trade's will happen when 2 clubs agree that the trade helps them. The titans will like having that 3rd rounder back! I understand its not entirely realistic, but this draft is different than the past 10 drafts! SO much talent deep into the mid rounds, Oakland who has big holes would be another trade partner who could use lots of picks in the mid rounds.
Originally posted by AB81Rules:
Congrats on the 1,000th post. Appreciate the love.

I think we may need to add in an extra pick for the 11th pick, maybe a 5th or 7th, not sure the chart. Mock looks good. Landry may go higher. Rest looks good. I would be more than pleased with this mock, plus the trades would be great, stockpile extra picks in 2015 would be a great idea.

Thanks AB, seriously appreciate all the Cap figures you've calculated for us 49ers fans over the years

Do you honestly believe we can move up 19 spots in round 1 for a 3rd round pick? All the way to 1 spot behind the top ten?
I don't see why the Eagles would want to trade for James. They have McCoy, Brown, and just got Sproles this offseason. All are better and would play before James.

• mayo49
  • Veteran

It's realistic to make a move for Gilbert is what was my premise. The compensation is not realistic, your right.
[ Edited by mayo49 on Apr 10, 2014 at 8:13 AM ]
Originally posted by SFrush:
Originally posted by TheRedDemonWillis52:

Says who? He and Dennard could definitely start from day one.

The latest Webzone troll from Seattle apparently.
  • buck
  • Veteran

Depends of what draft value chart you are using. Well, at least according to Baalke this is case.

On holding multiple draft-pick trade value charts:

"Were one of those teams that uses our own chart. There are other teams that use their own chart.
There are several teams that use the same chart we do.

You have to understand both of them because sometimes teams aren't willing to talk to you on your chart, they're only willing to go with the standard charts that's been used and developed for a long time.

There's flexibility in it. But identifying the player is the critical thing. And finding a way to get them is the next stop."

http://www.49ers.com/news/article-2/Transcript-of-Trent-Baalkes-NFL-Combine-Presser/af917aae-4ba0-4df8-bbbe-b5478a1ea68c
  • pfizz
jarvis landry? yes please.
Imo no rookie will start our roster is set
I still like M. Lee at #30
Share 49ersWebzone