There are 83 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

MBA's Mock draft ver 5.0, Last Call

With one month left prior to draft weekend, here is my final mock draft. I normally do not project trades, but I feel the Niners need to get into the early 20's prior to the Bengals, Chargers, and Saints to get the CB they want. This is based on CBS Sports Draft prospect rankings of 4/9/14.

Round 1 (Trade #30 and # 77 pick to Packers for # 21) Kyle Fuller CB VA Tech 6'0" 190 lbs - rangy and light-footed with quick movements, long arms and can play man or zone coverage; it's either him or Verrett and I think the Niners go bigger after Cully's latest incident.
Round 2a Donte Moncrief WR Ole Miss 6'2" 221 lbs - showed more speed than I thought he had; someone to stretch the field for our offense
Round 2b Dominique Easley DT Florida 6'2" 288 lbs - first round pick prior to injury; long term replacement for RayMac
Round 3a Traded to Packers
Round 3b Jaylen Watkins CB Florida 6'0" 194 lbs - willing hitter with good vision and closing ability; another CB to add depth and maybe play safety
Round 3c Robert Herron WR Wyoming 5'9" 193 lbs - we need someone to add quickness and burst at WR; can play slot or outside
Round 4 Craig Loston SS LSU 5'11" 217 lbs - depth at S and familiar with Eric Reid
Round 5 Khari Fortt OLB Cal 6'2" 242 lbs - "plus" movement skills in space combined with his toughness against the run could make him a steal; could play inside and special teams, too.
Round 7 Spencer Long OG Nebraska 6'4" 315 lbs - Baalke injury special; depth for interior line
Round 7a Tajh Boyd QB 6'1" 222 lbs - hard to believe, but this is where he is rated; much better option than BJ Daniels was for #3 QB.
Round 7b Trey Millard FB Oklahoma 6'2" 253 lbs - Swiss Army Knife FB, Blocker, TE; another Baalke injury special


Your thoughts............
[ Edited by m_brockalexander on Apr 9, 2014 at 12:11 PM ]
my thoughts? well I've seen enough of the mocks on the zone to conclude they all look the same.
  • fan49
  • Veteran
  • Posts: 2,167
im just not high on moncrief this year. he is fast. but its that short burst and then afterburn we need in that order. i can see donte wrestling with a sherman type before busting out and running. I dont think that will work. we are lacking instant agility. we dont have a receiver that can shake from the snap. i personally think cooks should be first receiver on the board for us available. If we got archer later, and moncrief in 2nd. I truly believe archer would get more time. Moncrief is a guy that can replace a crabtree "next year." But we need the new wr to do damage now
Originally posted by Negrodamus:
my thoughts? well I've seen enough of the mocks on the zone to conclude they all look the same.

Thank you for playing.
I'd rather get Exum in the 4th over Loston, but aside from that excellent mock.
Good job...this mock would be ideal! I saw a typo tho...Kyle Fuller is from VT...Verrett is from TCU
Really like this a lot as it covers needs with very good players.

I know a lot of mocks have us moving up into the low 20's to teens and only giving up the 77 pick. It works out numbers wise but in this years draft, there is gonna be a lot of talent in that range that would normally be in the top 10. If your a team sitting in that area, are you gonna give up a top 10 player for a bottom pick in the 1st and maybe a guy in the 3rd that can help. I would not make that trade if I were a GM for another team. Top 10 talent requires more pain to gain IMO but would love it if some team went for it.
Love it. the only thing I would possibly change would be move Easley to 3b and take Joyner with 2a/b. Not even sure though that Easley or Joyner would be there at those picks,( i guess it would be contingent on where Joyner and Easley are projected to go. I've seen Easley anywhere from 2-4 and Joyner 1-3). My thinking being that you have a guy in Joyner who could man the slot and then be possibly groomed to take relieve Bethea at SS when he is gone. Or if for some reason Culliver does not work out, you would still have a Brock/Fuller/Joyner nucleus. Although you covered a possible SS replacement with Loston, and the Niners have a fair amount of guys currently in the secondary that would be further crowded with the Fuller addition (let alone a Joyner addition as well)….but Joyner just seems like a real playmaker that would be a nice toy to have in the secondary, wherever he plays.
[ Edited by Hoovtrain on Apr 9, 2014 at 12:19 PM ]
Originally posted by Hoovtrain:
Love it. the only thing I would possibly change would be move Easley to 3b and take Joyner with 2a/b. Not even sure though that Easley or Joyner would be there at those picks,( i guess it would be contingent on where Joyner and Easley are projected to go. I've seen Easley anywhere from 2-4 and Joyner 1-3). My thinking being that you have a guy in Joyner who could man the slot and then be possibly groomed to take relieve Bethea at SS when he is gone. Or if for some reason Culliver does not work out, you would still have a Brock/Fuller/Joyner nucleus. Although you covered a possible SS replacement with Loston, and the Niners have a fair amount of guys currently in the secondary that would be further crowded with the Fuller addition (let alone a Joyner addition as well)….but Joyner just seems like a real playmaker that would be a nice toy to have in the secondary, wherever he plays.

I could not agree more.
Two of the drafts at SI.com have us taking Fuller at #30, the third has us taking Verrett there.
Not giving up a third to move up nine spots
I don't know that Fuller would be taken as high as #21...it's possible, particularly as his draft stock continues to rise. If so, I think he's worth making the trade.

WRT Moncrief, I'd still advocate for Matthews largely because his total body of work at Vandy was superb. He's arguably one of the most NFL-ready WR's in this draft.

The rest looks good to me.
Moncrief and Herron would be a nice duo.
Garbage draft. Thank you this is your final mock and please don't post another garbage mock again.
Originally posted by CorvaNinerFan:
I don't know that Fuller would be taken as high as #21...it's possible, particularly as his draft stock continues to rise. If so, I think he's worth making the trade.

WRT Moncrief, I'd still advocate for Matthews largely because his total body of work at Vandy was superb. He's arguably one of the most NFL-ready WR's in this draft.

The rest looks good to me.

I would agree with you, but like I stated in my comments, the Niners need to leapfrog the Bengals, Chargers and Saints to guarantee they get the CB they want. Dennard and Gilbert should be gone by the Steelers pick at #16 and it would cost most than a third rounder to get up that high. Therefore, I have them choosing the bigger of the two CB's that are on their radar in Fuller or Verrett. The only other CB who would be avaiable in the #30 slot would be Bradley Roby, and I have my doubts about him.