There are 128 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

Are the 49ers justified in a trade up for Justin Gilbert?

Originally posted by mayo49:
Some don't even see Gilbert as the top corner in this draft.

Here's Mayocks top 5 Corners.

Cornerback
1. Darqueze Dennard, Michigan State
2. Kyle Fuller, Virginia Tech
3. Justin Gilbert, Oklahoma State
4. Bradley Roby, Ohio State
5. Jason Verrett, TCU

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap2000000338425/article/mike-mayocks-updated-position-rankings-for-2014-nfl-draft

I used to be sold on Darqueze Dennard, but I still question about his poor performance in the night against Stanford. It was so embarrassing in that night. I don't know if that was just a bad hiccup game, but still he played like bad Carlos Rogers/Nate Clements for falling on double moves. I am not really sold on Fuller, Roby and Verrett. Dennard and Gilbert are fine if they fall to our laps at 30th, but I'd be comfortable if Baalke or Lord Vangio scouted hard on Dennard before the draft.
  • DeUh
  • Veteran
Originally posted by TheRedDemonWillis52:
Indeed, that is pretty much like trying to score the "hottest chick in your classroom" with a bunch of ugly girls. When you're out of the classroom, you realize that you've wasted your time and energy trying to pick up that unfortunate girl. However, if that girl approaches to you, you still have the option to date with her or pass her without a regret.

Post of the day !
Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:
Gilbert isn't really worth to trade up. It is really hard to find a true lock down cornerback like Deion Sanders. I am also glad that we did not trade up to draft Patrick Peterson, because he isn't really that great CB. Even if PP falls on our laps, I still prefer to pick Aldon Smith.

Pretty much this. As I've been saying, he's being overrated due to the lack of depth at top. People look at his size and athleticism first and foremost it seems but he does have some holes in his game that make me think he's going to be a very good #2 CB in the NFL, not necessarily a Revis/shutdown type of guy.

Indeed, that is pretty much like trying to score the "hottest chick in your classroom" with a bunch of ugly girls. When you're out of the classroom, you realize that you've wasted your time and energy trying to pick up that unfortunate girl. However, if that girl approaches to you, you still have the option to date with her or pass her without a regret.

I'm now picturing Gilbert with a wig and lipstick, like a Wayans.
There's too much quality depth at CB to trade up that far...remember, draft picks can be used to acquire vets, too. Baalke's got the draft board set, so with 11 picks he can literally do anything he wants, especially w/6 of the first 100. I can see him trading up a few slots if he feels a guy he & Coach really want is at risk of going elsewhere. I can also see him trading out of pick #30 for another 2nd rounder.
Originally posted by CorvaNinerFan:
There's too much quality depth at CB to trade up that far...remember, draft picks can be used to acquire vets, too. Baalke's got the draft board set, so with 11 picks he can literally do anything he wants, especially w/6 of the first 100. I can see him trading up a few slots if he feels a guy he & Coach really want is at risk of going elsewhere. I can also see him trading out of pick #30 for another 2nd rounder.

especially if there are some surprises in the first round, and a lot of talent falls to the 2nd round .. we'll have the ammo to scoop up a lot of that talent
  1. That's good insight thl408 I agree and I kind of like elephanthaley idea but I think we should select 7 or 8 for competition and I think we should trade for a 2015 pick I think we'll be getting a couple of comp picks for 2015
  2. There's no love for Marquise Lee on this board but i think he's the most NFL ready he runs xcellent routes good yac receiver catches the ball with his hands not his body stretch the field speed and proves that you don't have to be 6'5 to be a redzone threat not to mention helping in Ko returns. I know everyone wants Verret but we can pick up the D. Joyner in the 2nd
Thing is we don't need the "TOP" corner!

We need a damn good one and Baalke is very adept at getting DB so let's stay pat or move up a little like we did w/Reid.
  • DeUh
  • Veteran
I´m a fan but his combine performance alone should not be the reason to trade up. Both Chris Culliver and Eric Wright put up slightly better numbers ! If he somehow falls into the 20´s then maybe but he still has a lot of holes in his game.
I used to be sold on Darqueze Dennard, but I still question about his poor performance in the night against Stanford. It was so embarrassing in that night. I don't know if that was just a bad hiccup game, but still he played like bad Carlos Rogers/Nate Clements for falling on double moves. I am not really sold on Fuller, Roby and Verrett. Dennard and Gilbert are fine if they fall to our laps at 30th, but I'd be comfortable if Baalke or Lord Vangio scouted hard on Dennard before the draft.

Not sure where you got embarassing from. He shutdown Ty Montgomery, made him a non-factor in that game and was a huge reason why Stanford was limited to about 140 yards passing.

PASADENA, Calif. -- Stanford wide receiver Ty Montgomery was supposed to be the X-factor in the Rose Bowl, the difference-maker that could decide the 100th edition of the venerable game. But after Michigan State defensive coordinator Pat Narduzzi pointed out the pregame chatter about Montgomery to cornerback Darqueze Dennard at breakfast Wednesday, Montgomery ended up a non-factor.Montgomery caught just three passes for 21 yards, smothered by the Jim Thorpe Award winner in the Spartans' 24-20 win over the Cardinal."He does things like that all the time," Michigan State safety Isaiah Lewis said. "I'm even surprised he caught a pass, Darqueze is so good."Playing almost exclusively the press-man coverage that has become his trademark, Dennard (5-foot-11, 197 pounds) kept the speedy Montgomery from ever getting loose downfield, recording three tackles with one resulting in a loss of 2 yards."He has great technique," Lewis said. "Watching him play, it seems like he knows what route is coming before they even run the play. I'm definitely going to miss him, playing with the other guys in the No Fly Zone."

He was more consistent overall than any other CB in the draft this past season. Teams kept challenging him and he kept holding up and making plays throughout the season.
[ Edited by Phoenix49ers on Apr 9, 2014 at 9:23 AM ]
Originally posted by ESWYoung08:
The difference between Gilbert and someone like Roby is negligible. I want a corner first round but it's not worth it's value. Getting someone like Tuitt would be good value because of how young he is and how important 5-techs are to our scheme.

Just differing opinions but I wouldn't put Roby in the same league as Gilbert. Roby's game is more physical and has nowhere near the same coverage skills that Gilbert has. Roby was a head hunter like Goldson at safety and played a much more intimidating style. Plus the WR's in the big ten were beyond aweful. Roby is overrated and I think the draft will reflect that. If the difference is negligible, then why is nobody talking about Roby as a top 12 pick?
Originally posted by NinerG94:
Just differing opinions but I wouldn't put Roby in the same league as Gilbert. Roby's game is more physical and has nowhere near the same coverage skills that Gilbert has. Roby was a head hunter like Goldson at safety and played a much more intimidating style. Plus the WR's in the big ten were beyond aweful. Roby is overrated and I think the draft will reflect that. If the difference is negligible, then why is nobody talking about Roby as a top 12 pick?

I feel like the difference between Fuller and Gilbert is a lot more negligible, certainly not as big of a gap as the cost for trading up for Gilbert would imply.

Dennard I think is on a different level than all of these guys, put him in Seattle and I think he'd be an even better cornerback than Sherman, absolutely ideal for press man coverage.
Originally posted by NinerG94:
The difference between Gilbert and someone like Roby is negligible. I want a corner first round but it's not worth it's value. Getting someone like Tuitt would be good value because of how young he is and how important 5-techs are to our scheme.

The only difference between Roby and Gilbert is that one had their worst year last year and the other this year. Roby was a top 12 pick last year when he had a front seven like ours. Throw in a couple injuries, a few missed games, and a more run heavy conference and he gets knocked out of the top 15 talk. Gilbert is top 15 because he lit up the combine with measurables and played in a pass heavy conference. IMO Gilbert is lackluster in run support and technical proficiency with stiff hips. Roby has smooth hips and is aggressive against the run but played against less NFL talent level receivers. To me it's a toss up because Roby would cost less but has less experience against NFL competition whereas Gilbert would cost more but has that NFL talent experience.
The only difference between Roby and Gilbert is that one had their worst year last year and the other this year. Roby was a top 12 pick last year when he had a front seven like ours. Throw in a couple injuries, a few missed games, and a more run heavy conference and he gets knocked out of the top 15 talk. Gilbert is top 15 because he lit up the combine with measurables and played in a pass heavy conference. IMO Gilbert is lackluster in run support and technical proficiency with stiff hips. Roby has smooth hips and is aggressive against the run but played against less NFL talent level receivers. To me it's a toss up because Roby would cost less but has less experience against NFL competition whereas Gilbert would cost more but has that NFL talent experience.

That is a big difference. One guy improved, the other guy regressed and looked downright awful at times. Saying that he'd look better with a better front seven isn't saying much either, EVERY CB would look better with a better front seven, that goes for Dennard and Verrett as well as Roby and every other CB in the draft.
  • Kolohe
  • #TeamLevi
Originally posted by Quest4six:
Its all about the trade-offs

Getting Gilbert would probably mean we don't draft again until late 3rd round which is not a smart idea.
The difference between Gilbert and somebody like Roby/Fuller/Verrett is not worth trading up

I don't think so, I think a trade of 1st, 2nd, 2015 3rd and a 4th round pick would be sufficient. It only took the 9ers a 3rd round pick to move up to 13 spots. Most teams wouldn't trade that much picks, but since the 9ers have so many day 2 picks it would only take Baalke to really have a man-crush on him.
Yes!!!! My last mock had us moving to 10 to snag him.