LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 348 users in the forums

Are the 49ers justified in a trade up for Justin Gilbert?

Originally posted by Raul98:
No why give up a lot of picks to move up for a corner unless hes the next Deion Sanders. There better off giving up less to move up more in there 30 range for another corner. There's to many good corners in this draft to give up a lot for one.

I tend to lean in this favor too. I really get excited whenever we completely trade out for a next year pick.

But im also questioning if this kid could have a ceiling up to near Deion Sanders.
Originally posted by SFL49ER:
Originally posted by Raul98:
No why give up a lot of picks to move up for a corner unless hes the next Deion Sanders. There better off giving up less to move up more in there 30 range for another corner. There's to many good corners in this draft to give up a lot for one.

I tend to lean in this favor too. I really get excited whenever we completely trade out for a next year pick.

But im also questioning if this kid could have a ceiling up to near Deion Sanders.
It's up to them if they feel he can be a elite shut down corner then he would be worth it. But at the price of maybe giving up 1 or both there 2nd round picks.
Originally posted by thl408:
I don't know much about these prospects, but I wouldn't want Baalke to trade up to the top 15 for ANY CB. I like that this defense is built from the Dline outwards. That needs to be the theme going forward and the salary cap allotment should reflect that. Pay the front 7 players, then find bargains at CB (TBrock) with the thinking that a dominant front 4/7 can help an average defensive backfield much more than a dominant defensive backfield can help a front 4/7.

I'm already wondering what may happen when Reid and this year's top drafted CB will need to get paid to remain on the team past their rookie deals. If the 49ers move up to the top15 and take a CB, they will need to retain him or it's a waste of a trade up. This would start a shift in salary cap allotment from the front 7 to the DBs, which is not how I want the defense built.

Let me start by saying, we have a dominant front 7. The Big Boys (i.e. Dorsey, RayMac, JSmith) are as stout as they come. The LB's (Willis, Bo, ASmith, ABrooks) have 2 of the best MLB's ever (as a group) and then there's Aldon, one of the best pure pass rushers we've seen (first 2yrs of production prove that. Hopefully last yr is behind him), Finally there's Brooks. He has played much better than expected! That right there is one heck of a front 7. However, our salary cap is not currently structured in such a way, that the front 7 consumes most of our higher salaries. http://www.ninersnation.com/pages/49ers-salary-cap-2013. With that said, I am in the camp to draft the very best talent possible. We are not several players away from winning a SUPERBOWL, we are only 1 or 2 players away. We have taken care of the SS position, next is CB/WR in either order. I would love to see JGilbert on our team but, If the scouting dept and or Harbaalke see the same or better value in someone later in the draft (CB Breeland) I'll be good with it. Jason Verrett sounds like he could step right in (height is the knock on him). McGill, STJB, Desir all have the coveted size but, might lack the elite coverage skills. We have options for sure...
  • buck
  • Veteran
Any trade made has to evaluated after the fact.

Who was picked, what price was paid, and how well did he play are just some of the questions that have to be asked and answered.
[ Edited by buck on Apr 8, 2014 at 7:23 PM ]
I am not a talent evaluator nor do I have inside knowledge as to who the team might draft. I can say I didn't see Willis or even Bowman turning out to be ALL PRO MLB's. I didn't see Aldon setting the records he did, right out of the chute. I also, didn't even know who AJ Jenkins was (until closer to the draft - online research). If the opportunity is there we need to strike. There are 4 or 5 players that would fit the bill, if they slip (perceived or not) Watkins, Davis, Gilbert or Dennard. Again, I do not know how the 49ers board is set-up. Harbaalke have tripped me up several years in a row.
  • Antix
  • Veteran
I would be upset if we did this because it is not necessary. The difference between and a SB is not a top 10 CB. Admittedly, with Brown and Rogers gone and Culliver brass knucklin', we are a bit behind, but not so much we need t throw our picks away for one guy. I say we draft one first, then come back again with out 4th or 5th pick and get the best value CB we can get there.

We've done a pretty good job at drafting in the secondary so moving up that much just isn't necessary. If they move up to the high teens or 20's and get a CB I'll be okay bc I'll be expecting the second coming of Reid, but any more than that is too much.
Agree with those saying we don't need to trade up to grab a good CB in the first. That said, I wouldn't be surprised if Harbaugh and Baalke pass on a CB in the first round altogether. This is such a deep draft for WR and CB that they may decide to go a different direction in round 1. I would rather we snag a CB with our current #30 pick, but we'll see how things shake out.
  • mayo49
  • Veteran
I'd love a trade up, but I just don't think Harbaalke have the determination to want to move up that far.
Gilbert isn't really worth to trade up. It is really hard to find a true lock down cornerback like Deion Sanders. I am also glad that we did not trade up to draft Patrick Peterson, because he isn't really that great CB. Even if PP falls on our laps, I still prefer to pick Aldon Smith.
Originally posted by TheRedDemonWillis52:
Gilbert isn't really worth to trade up. It is really hard to find a true lock down cornerback like Deion Sanders. I am also glad that we did not trade up to draft Patrick Peterson, because he isn't really that great CB. Even if PP falls on our laps, I still prefer to pick Aldon Smith.

Pretty much this. As I've been saying, he's being overrated due to the lack of depth at top. People look at his size and athleticism first and foremost it seems but he does have some holes in his game that make me think he's going to be a very good #2 CB in the NFL, not necessarily a Revis/shutdown type of guy.

• Hopper
  • Veteran
Originally posted by SFL49ER:
Thats a good thought.

Not to me. He's talking about future salary demands four or five years from now. A lot can change between that time.
There are no gurentees in the draft. If you move up that high and the player doesn't pan out, it will set you back. The other way to look at it is that, with this many picks, it allows you flexibility, to get the best values. Even if you get one great player, three good players outweigh the one great player, how so you ask. lets say you get a DL,OLB, and a CB you got three players to make plays that would neutralize the great one, someone to rush the passer, someone to blitz or mugged the wr to throw off the timing at the line and someone to pick him up, as long as one of them does their jobs, the wr will have a hard time, if all three does their job, the wr is a non issue. Football is still a team game, the more you are surrounded by other good players, the greater your chance of success.

Also, people thought that we were going to trade more and not end up with all those players that we did last year. Plus drafting players that were injured like Looney, Tank and Lattimore, allowed them to stash their own little farm team so to speak, and not count them on the final roster or have to expose them waiver just to put them on practice squad..
Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:

Pretty much this. As I've been saying, he's being overrated due to the lack of depth at top. People look at his size and athleticism first and foremost it seems but he does have some holes in his game that make me think he's going to be a very good #2 CB in the NFL, not necessarily a Revis/shutdown type of guy.

I would like him to go earlyfirst so that we can get Dennard if they decide to move up, I agree about the combine and his size raising his stock probably by 10 slots, I didn't think he was that smooth and had to use his speed to make up for some of his mistake. So I thought maybe I missed someothing. Then I began reading how some have been downgrading him. So mortgaging the future or paying a king's ranson is not worth it. If he does slide though, he is still good enough to teach and we have good DB and DC coaches that should make the most of him.
  • mayo49
  • Veteran
Some don't even see Gilbert as the top corner in this draft.

Here's Mayocks top 5 Corners.

Cornerback
1. Darqueze Dennard, Michigan State
2. Kyle Fuller, Virginia Tech
3. Justin Gilbert, Oklahoma State
4. Bradley Roby, Ohio State
5. Jason Verrett, TCU

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap2000000338425/article/mike-mayocks-updated-position-rankings-for-2014-nfl-draft
[ Edited by mayo49 on Apr 9, 2014 at 2:50 AM ]
Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:

Indeed, that is pretty much like trying to score the "hottest chick in your classroom" with a bunch of ugly girls. When you're out of the classroom, you realize that you've wasted your time and energy trying to pick up that unfortunate girl. However, if that girl approaches to you, you still have the option to date with her or pass her without a regret.
Share 49ersWebzone