LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 261 users in the forums

Are the 49ers justified in a trade up for Justin Gilbert?

Whats the point of stockpiling draft picks? I believe Baalke loves the idea of going after his specific players, and the increasing value of picks has allowed the front office to have more 'power' so to speak, so they can go after who exactly they want whether up or down the board.

Which brings me to the point. Justin Gilbert has the skill set and versatility i think Baalke would like to have. JG has the weapons the team NEEDS at this point in time. His speed is true on the field and he has great recognition at playing the ball on defense among many other tangible qualities. The questions are these:

Who does Justin Gilbert compare to in NFL past or present that could help us in his evalution? (Did his comparison get drafted high or maybe it was a lower pick?) How high of a trade up should we go to warrant the move? Does his verstility bring extra value in our draft process? Could Gilbert be that next great shutdown cornerback? Do we lose too much value from moving up to say, pick 11 to get him.

Remember what the main uses of extra draft picks are for...
If were gonna trade up to 11 we might as well trade up to 5 and get Sammy Watkins if he's there.
Maybe. But I doubt they will trade up high enough to get him. I seriously doubt we pick WR with our 1st. It should be CB.
Its all about the trade-offs

Getting Gilbert would probably mean we don't draft again until late 3rd round which is not a smart idea.
The difference between Gilbert and somebody like Roby/Fuller/Verrett is not worth trading up
Originally posted by ModestoNiner33:
If were gonna trade up to 11 we might as well trade up to 5 and get Sammy Watkins if he's there.

Because based on the trade value chart (which I know isn't gospel), but it would take almost as much draft capital to get from 11 to 5 as would to get from 30 to 11.
[ Edited by SonocoNinerFan on Apr 8, 2014 at 2:57 PM ]
Mayock just dropped Gilbert to his 3rd ranked CB (which I think is insane). If NFL teams agree with his rankings which I doubt, maybe we won't have to give up that much to get Gilbert. I wouldn't mind getting him at 11 if we get a decent trade, but if he falls to the 15-20 range, I would start rooting for a trade up.
I would not trade up to get Gilbert unless he fell out of the top 20. He has a high ceiling, but I'm not impressed with his tape; he's struggled in coverage and has a lot of work to do if he is going to be a true #1 corner
  • thl408
I don't know much about these prospects, but I wouldn't want Baalke to trade up to the top 15 for ANY CB. I like that this defense is built from the Dline outwards. That needs to be the theme going forward and the salary cap allotment should reflect that. Pay the front 7 players, then find bargains at CB (TBrock) with the thinking that a dominant front 4/7 can help an average defensive backfield much more than a dominant defensive backfield can help a front 4/7.

I'm already wondering what may happen when Reid and this year's top drafted CB will need to get paid to remain on the team past their rookie deals. If the 49ers move up to the top15 and take a CB, they will need to retain him or it's a waste of a trade up. This would start a shift in salary cap allotment from the front 7 to the DBs, which is not how I want the defense built.
Originally posted by thl408:
I don't know much about these prospects, but I wouldn't want Baalke to trade up to the top 15 for ANY CB. I like that this defense is built from the Dline outwards. That needs to be the theme going forward and the salary cap allotment should reflect that. Pay the front 7 players, then find bargains at CB (TBrock) with the thinking that a dominant front 4/7 can help an average defensive backfield much more than a dominant defensive backfield can help a front 4/7.

I'm already wondering what may happen when Reid and this year's top drafted CB will need to get paid to remain on the team past their rookie deals. If the 49ers move up to the top15 and take a CB, they will need to retain him or it's a waste of a trade up. This would start a shift in salary cap allotment from the front 7 to the DBs, which is not how I want the defense built.

Thats a good thought.
I think Dennard and Verrett may be better cover corners. Gilbert is just bigger and/or more athletic. I'd only trade up so far for him if it was an absolute consensus that he's a shut down corner and there's a great chance that that's what you'll get.

The difference between Gilbert and someone like Roby is negligible. I want a corner first round but it's not worth it's value. Getting someone like Tuitt would be good value because of how young he is and how important 5-techs are to our scheme.
  • evil
  • Veteran
If I have to go up into the top 20 for a corner in this draft class, I'd rather be targeting Dennard than Gilbert. Not as fast or athletic but better cover skills...I also don't believe JG's is significantly higher than DD's.
No why give up a lot of picks to move up for a corner unless hes the next Deion Sanders. There better off giving up less to move up more in there 30 range for another corner. There's to many good corners in this draft to give up a lot for one.
Depends what we have to give up. Last year we traded up from 31 to 18 to get Reid, and only had to throw in our 3rd rd pick.

If we could grab him in a similar trade, and Baalke covets him like he did Reid, I'd be all for it. We have plenty of ammo in the mid-rounds.
If I was Baalke, I'd stay put at #30, #56,#61,#77#94 and #100 and Draft BPA EACH TIME. Then I would Trade #129,#170 and all 3 seventh rounders for 3rds & 4ths for next years draft. That would give us 6 Rookies in the TOP 100 of a LOADED Draft and add picks for next years Draft too!!
Share 49ersWebzone