There are 204 users in the forums

What Will Baalke do with the 49ers 1st Pick?

What Will Baalke do with the 49ers 1st Pick?

Given the depth of this draft, particularly at CB and WR, I think he either stands pat or trades out of the #30 spot in an effort to get a 3rd 2nd round pick. It's possible he'll trade up, but methinks it'd be just a few spots if there's a guy he & Harbaugh really want that's at risk.
  • mayo49
  • Veteran
He'll stay at 30.
If Sammy Watkins is not taken in the top 5, trade up for him. Otherwise, move up 5-8 slots for Beckham or Cooks. Then stay put or move back -- there will be good cornerbacks in the 2d and 3d rounds as well as WR's that are not in the top 4 or 5 (excluding Marquise Lee who I wouldn't want at all).
I really don't understand the people who site depth as a reason to stay or move back. The depth of this draft applies to the top as well. To me, that means if a player falls to 15-20, that player may have been top 5-10 in a down draft.

So if a player at 30 may have been avaliable from 15-25, which option is a better deal?
Quarterback needy teams that are waiting for the the top of the second round to draft one will be looking at the 49ers at 30. The pick could conceivably bring an inflating offering, another shrewd Baalke move.
Originally posted by RishikeshA:
Quarterback needy teams that are waiting for the the top of the second round to draft one will be looking at the 49ers at 30. The pick could conceivably bring an inflating offering, another shrewd Baalke move.

Valid point, but the Niners don't have room for 11+ picks. They need quality not quantity.
Originally posted by RishikeshA:

I would take that if a team like the Jags Browns or Raiders gave us their 2nd round pick and 1st round pick next year.

There are CBs and WRs that are so close in ranking that I would be fine if they moved back and took one later. But again the price has to be right.
We need those early round picks don't give them all up to move up in the top 15 for a WR we wont use. Move up about 5 spots only to get Verrett a guy who we need with in this division to stop Harvin and Austin.
Originally posted by SanDiego49er:
He will trade up to about 18 or 17. Like last year but we pick a tiny bit higher because we did not get as far. I think we can get in that range for something not too expensive of a cost. We can't fit the # of picks we have onto the 49ers roster. So why would you not want to trade up for quality? Quantity and depth and fill won't help this team IMO. We need an impact player at a position of need. Most likely CB. But some other positions may be considered including DL, WR, S, C. Probably trade out of some picks for picks next year if we can so we can have a loaded draft next year too.

But I fully expect them to try to deal up to get at least 1 top 20 player. Probably somewhere in the late teens. Whoever that is that falls that they like and are targeting at various positions of need.
This +1

I dont honestly know what he WILL do,but this is what I hope like hell he does.I wholeheartedly agree with the quality over quantity approach.

Trade up n get 2-3 impact players at the WR n CB positions in the early rounds.Why not walk away with 5-7 quality,make an impact now type players??We have plenty of ammo for it.

Trade for more picks next year at some point also if possible.
[ Edited by VDpwndMjenkins on Apr 8, 2014 at 4:59 PM ]
  • Giedi
  • Veteran
Originally posted by English:
Stay.

I don't think it's that cut and dried. I think if there is a run on CB's - Baalke will draft a WR high in the draft. If there is a run on WR's, he's going to go defense and take a CB very high in the draft. And yes, I think because no way do we have room for all 11 picks, he's going to have to trade up or trade down and get draft picks for next year. I don't think Staying is really a good option depending on how the draft develops. Now if there really is no run on either the CB or WR position - I can see Baalke staying, but that's unlikely given the depth of talent in this draft at those positions.

• Giedi
  • Veteran
Originally posted by SanDiego49er:
He will trade up to about 18 or 17. Like last year but we pick a tiny bit higher because we did not get as far. I think we can get in that range for something not too expensive of a cost. We can't fit the # of picks we have onto the 49ers roster. So why would you not want to trade up for quality? Quantity and depth and fill won't help this team IMO. We need an impact player at a position of need. Most likely CB. But some other positions may be considered including DL, WR, S, C. Probably trade out of some picks for picks next year if we can so we can have a loaded draft next year too.

But I fully expect them to try to deal up to get at least 1 top 20 player. Probably somewhere in the late teens. Whoever that is that falls that they like and are targeting at various positions of need.

this is essentially a repeat of last year's trade up scenario for Reid. I think we were in the same position this year - Talent-wise. This is probably the most likely scenario that will happen.
49ers will move up from #30 and give up #77 just like last year and move up to #15-18 and pick up CB Denard.
Draft 5-3 inch cornerback named LaMichael Jenkins.
  • DeUh
  • Veteran
Hard to tell but I think he will stay put or trade back a few spots.
Originally posted by ElephantHaley:
49ers will move up from #30 and give up #77 just like last year and move up to #15-18 and pick up CB Denard.
I would be really happy with that
Share 49ersWebzone