LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 259 users in the forums

Our guard for the future??? (Brandon Thomas torn ACL)...

Adam Schefter ‏@AdamSchefter 23m
RT @caplannfl: G Brandon Thomas (Clemson), who is rated as one of the top interior OLs for this year's draft, suffered a torn ACL last week.

I can see the 49ers using a late round pick and stashing him on IR for the year (ala Lattimore). This would be smart in case we can't resign Iupati (he's going to want to get paid).
Dang, he was going to be a high round pick. Ouch
Wow. He was an absolutely outstanding prospect. Arguably one of the top 5 guards in this class. I wouldn't be opposed to using a 5th on him with a successful ACL surgery.
  • DeUh
  • Veteran
Would definitely not be opposed to draft him but ACL´s on 300 lbs players are a little scary.
Originally posted by DeUh:
Would definitely not be opposed to draft him but ACL�s on 300 lbs players are a little scary.

They just have to take recovery slower (wait longer for 100% weight-bearing exercise). No big deal if we're gonna stash him for the year. Spencer Long, welcome to dumpsville, population: you. There's a newer, sexier injured interior OL in town, and we don't need two.
  • mayo49
  • Veteran
Use one of our 7's on him.
First thing I think of now when I see torn ACL is "welcome to the 49ers".
Thomas might be worth a pick...but don't forget Harbaugh has Joe Looney waiting in the wings. JL hasn't had much PT because the starting 5 has become entrenched and relatively injury-free. I believe he'll be inserted at LG when Iupati walks...and the OL won't miss a beat.
  • mayo49
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Ronnie49Lott:

Yeah, that's the first thing I thought of when I read the report.
34.75 arm length, welcome to the 49ers

One of the best things about him was his mobility. But he would be a great insurance policy if Iupati bolts.

I'm not worried about the impact on Looney. May the best man win.
Originally posted by mayo49:

Yeah, that's the first thing I thought of when I read the report.

hahah me too. Nice to have all those extra picks and very few needs. I now know how the Patriots fans felt.
  • xcfan
  • Veteran
in a draft year this deep, i wouldn't go earlier than 7th rd.

Lol this. This screams future 49er. I could very well seeing us drafting him as Iupati's replacement in a couple years. Pretty good if you can spend a late round pick on a top player, especially when you don't need that player to play this upcoming year. We draft for the future and this would be another perfect example. Would also allow us to extend Crabtree instead.
Would love to pick this guy up & stash him for a year
Share 49ersWebzone