LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 400 users in the forums

Eastcoast dream mock draft 2.0

I tried to make this fairly realistic, but these guys are all right around where they are projected so it would take some luck for all of them to be available. With this draft, 6 players make the 53 man roster, one is placed on the IR, and none are stolen off our practice squad. And we draft 3 of my draft crushes in Tuitt, Moncrief, and Ellington

Trade 2(61) and 3(91) and 5(158) for 2(42).

Trade 7(220) and 7(222) for a 2015 6th.

1(30). Jason Verrett-CB-TCU, 5-9 189 4.38
Extremely quick slot corner we could use to cover Tavon Austin and Percy Harvin. Doesn't have ideal length, but he can make plays on the ball and is solid in run support for his size.

2(42). Stephon Tuitt-DE-Notre Dame, 6-5 304
Monster 3-4 DE who can stop the run and rush the passer. He was dealing with injuries this season which impacted his play, but he's a very good athlete for his size with long arms and solid strength. If he is still on the board here, I will be shouting at my TV for the 49ers to trade up. He can move inside on passing downs and will be a better 5 technique than Carradine in my opinion, but the two of them could start on opposite sides for a long time.

2(56). Donte Moncrief-WR-Mississippi, 6-2 226 4.40
Height, weight, speed guy who can stretch the field and eventually develop into a #1 WR. His hands aren't great and his production was average (partly because of his QB) which could drop him here, but he has a lot of upside.

3(77). Bruce Ellington-WR-South Carolina, 5-9 198 4.45 (with a 1.63 10 yard split)
Slot receiver who also started at PG for South Carolina's basketball team. Really quick with more speed than his 40 indicates. With a reasonable start, he would have run in the 4.3's with a shot at Cooks' time. He gets off the line of scrimmage well on tape and did well in the vertical and broad jumps, so his slow start was likely the result of bad technique or just bad attempts. Ellington is a little raw and was not as productive as Cooks, but he is a similar athlete and can be had much later.

3(100). Philip Gaines-CB-Rice, 6-0 193 4.38
Small school prospect with great athleticism and reasonable length. He is one of the few corners in the draft who can play both the slot and outside corner positions because of his size, agility, and fluid hips. Played weak competition but performed very well in 2013 allowing only 13 catches on 40 targets while intercepting 4 passes and breaking up 9 more according to his Rice bio (http://www.riceowls.com/sports/m-footbl/mtt/phillip_gaines_442064.html). If he is gone, insert a developmental corner like McGill or Desir or a safety here.

4(125). Lamin Barrow-ILB-LSU, 6-1 237 4.64
Solid all-around ILB - he can cover and play the run, but he doesn't make a ton of plays behind the line and isn't a big hitter which could cause him to fall here. I really like his length (33 3/8" arms) and speed and scouting reports also point out that he has very fluid hips for a LB which bodes well for his coverage ability at the next level. He needs time to improve his instincts in coverage and he could gain a little weight and get stronger so he can take on blockers more easily.

7(219). Spencer Long-G-Nebraska, 6-5 320
IR candidate for the year to compete with Jonathan Martin for Iupati's spot in 2015 if we don't resign him. He put up 28 reps on the bench at his pro day and has decent length for a guard (33 1/8" arms), but he is not a good athlete and is coming off of knee surgery so I hope Martin can beat him out next year.
Not a fan of Verret, like the second round...
I would run naked through my neighborhood, dry-humping the (Seahawks fan) neighbor's garden gnome with joy if it went down like this. Big fan of Verret, Tuitt, Moncrief, and Ellington. I also like the Gaines and Long picks. I'd prefer a freakishly athletic developmental safety like Huff in the 4th. I think Willhoite/Moody can hold down ILB until Bow gets back, and I think Willis will ball out to account for his little bro being sidelined.
Nice mock. I would prefer our 2nd receiver be one of the big receivers like Coleman or Bryant but nicely done. Especially like the 1st 3 picks.

I would not trade our two 7ths for a 2015 6th rd pick. That should be 2 sixth rounders. Otherwise there could be some prospects we could draft like safety Whitley or FB Millard for the pup list.

Lets hope the 49ers get this lucky in the draft.
I like this draft but I believe if your moving up for a DB try and draft one of the top two, Dennard or Gilbert.
Love it, sick draft
Nice
I like it. I have Tuitt , Moncrief, Barrow, and Long in my mock as well so of course I love it.
Very strong mock. Would rather keep the two 7th rounders and take a FB/TE like Millard and a QB or SS. Other than that, well done.
no problem with this

Good mock! Trades are tricky to manage in a mock...but then again, the whole mock process is an exercise in ethereal thinking! I would love this mock if it came true even though you ignore some of my "wants" and I'm not sure Verrett or Tuitt will last that long.
I like this mock. We can't take 11 Rooks. We have to move.
I like the first 4 picks & Barrow. Not that big on Gaines...a couple of references (NFL.com & Walter Football) I use a lot doing research point out some holes in his game, namely weak against the run. That wouldn't work in our defense. I know Baalke likes Breeland...there's also Dontae Johnson. Breeland had 74 tackles, 10 for loss, 10 PBU and 4 picks. Johnson had 82 tackles, 2 PBU and 3 picks. Those numbers compare to Gaines: 36 tackles, 9 PBU and 4 picks.
I approve of this Mock. Personally, I like Bryant in the 3rd, but he might not be there.
Originally posted by CorvaNinerFan:
I like the first 4 picks & Barrow. Not that big on Gaines...a couple of references (NFL.com & Walter Football) I use a lot doing research point out some holes in his game, namely weak against the run. That wouldn't work in our defense. I know Baalke likes Breeland...there's also Dontae Johnson. Breeland had 74 tackles, 10 for loss, 10 PBU and 4 picks. Johnson had 82 tackles, 2 PBU and 3 picks. Those numbers compare to Gaines: 36 tackles, 9 PBU and 4 picks.

I like Breeland too, but I figured with Verrett as the first pick, we wouldn't really need another slot corner. If I went Fuller in round 1, I may have chosen Breeland or another slot corner like Watkins there.

I thought about drafting multiple 7th rounders, but there aren't many players I like who will be around then. Millard has really bad length (31") and I'm not sure we need another FB or TE right now. I'd rather wait and see if Carrier develops because he's a little bigger and more athletic than Millard and we also have Tukuafu while Miller is out.

I have a similar philosophy in regards to not drafting a C. I'd rather wait a season and see if Kilgore can be the starter before drafting a guy to replace him down the road. If we use a high pick on a C and Kilgore performs, we're stuck with 2 starting caliber C's (although one may be able to move to guard). If we use a low pick on a C and Kilgore doesn't perform, we may be left with 2 backup caliber C's and have to draft or acquire a better one next season and cut the other.
[ Edited by eastcoast49ersfan on Apr 7, 2014 at 2:56 PM ]
Share 49ersWebzone