There are 250 users in the forums

jbniner 1 Month Out Mock Draft

1(30): trade w/ 3(94) for #21: WR Odell Beckham Jr. (We learned a lot with the Niners' recent pursuit of Desean Jackson, Sanders, and Edelman. Up against the cap, facing looming contract extensions, and other needs, they were prepared to shell out some serious coin to add a deep ball, playmaking 3rd WR. Trading up to #21 to cut in front of the Eagles, Chiefs, Saints, and Panthers, the Niners get their man at a much better price. Coming out of a tough conference, Beckham is a polished speedster with a little more size and kick return flash than Cooks. He is a perfect complement to Crabtree and Boldin. Watch Beckham work Miss. St. over: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1cjvErKu35g ) Backup pick: Marqise Lee or Brandin Cooks

2(56): trade w/ 2(61) for Patriots' #29: CB Jason Verrett (Patriots made a similar trade with Vikings last year. Culliver and Brock will be our starters on the outside, but in Verrett the Niners add their Day 1 starter in the slot. Polished, tenacious, and tough, Verrett fills the only other need on the team. Projects to about this spot with the talent in this draft and his shoulder injury). Backup pick: Kyle Fuller

2(61): traded (Verrett)

3(77): DE Dominique Easley (The Niners don't necessarily need D-line help this year, and are thinking about taking Breeland or Desir here, but when Easley slips to 77 because of injury concerns, they jump on it. He may not be a perfect fit for our system, but Easley has a high motor and knows how to get to the QB. A D-Line centered team like the Niners can always find a place for a guy like that). Backup pick Bashaud Breeland

3(94): traded (Beckham)

3c(100): QB Zach Mettenberger (Has the size and arm strength Harbaugh likes to work with. Looks the part of an NFL QB. Injury, poor mobility, and maturity concerns depress his stock to about here. Already has chemistry with our 1st pick. I don't know if it will be him, but my guess is it will be someone like him around this spot in the draft). Backup pick: David Fales

4: S Craig Loston (The Niners have been spotted at safety pro-days all over the country and even met with some of the top ones. Bethea is a short-term solution and veteran mentor figure. They scope up a good value in Loston in the 4th. Eric Reid's ex-teammate, Loston can play all phases of the safety position. Sits behind Bethea for a year, and we finally get interchangeable safeties). Backup pick: Ahmad Dixon

5: OG Trai Turner (Described as a road grader of a man, and a hot-tub king with the ladies, he's great against the run, but needs some work in the passing game. Good fit for our system). Backup pick Lamin Barrow

6: traded (Gabbert)

Instead of trading away their 7th round picks, or wasting them on camp bodies, the Niners take advantage of the depth in this draft by trading up into the 6th twice here:

7: trade our first two 7's for late 6th: CB Walt Aikens (In Aikens, they land a good sized, physical CB that can play press. Stock depressed because of off-field issues and a small school, Aikens looked legit at the Senior Bowl and has the raw potential).

7: traded (Aikens)

7: trade w/ next year's 7th for late 6th: WR Shaq Evans (That a guy like Evans is projected to go in the 6th-7th is a real testament to how deep this WR class is this year. A bit of a diva in need of solid coaching, Evans has good size, good hands, and enough playmaking ability to turn into a solid possession WR. A great depth pick here with the prospect of turning into something more).
[ Edited by Jbniner on Apr 5, 2014 at 3:52 PM ]
  • pfizz
im hoping our real draft goes something like this. i want trent to target his guys and go up and grab them. OBjr and JV are the targets too IMO. great draft.
  • Kolohe
  • Hall of Fame
I'm hoping it goes something like that too, only I hope they don't draft a QB that high.
I don't like drafting a QB that early, although I think it's definitely possible that we do. Also, I would take a pure center, instead of an offensive guard. We already have guys that are versatile that we can groom anywhere along the line. I would draft one of the top centers to compete with Kilgore. Lastly, I'd prefer someone with more athleticism and speed at the strong safety position. Think Baalke would target a safety with longer arms as well. Overall, it would be an ok draft. First three picks are really good. Walk Aikens would be solid too.
Originally posted by Jbniner:

1(30): trade w/ 3(94) for #21: WR Odell Beckham Jr. (We learned a lot with the Niners' recent pursuit of Desean Jackson, Sanders, and Edelman. Up against the cap, facing looming contract extensions, and other needs, they were prepared to shell out some serious coin to add a deep ball, playmaking 3rd WR. Trading up to #21 to cut in front of the Eagles, Chiefs, Saints, and Panthers, the Niners get their man at a much better price. Coming out of a tough conference, Beckham is a polished speedster with a little more size and kick return flash than Cooks. He is a perfect complement to Crabtree and Boldin). Backup pick: Marqise Lee or Brandin Cooks

2(56): trade w/ 2(61) for Patriots' #29: CB Jason Verrett (Patriots made a similar trade with Vikings last year. Culliver and Brock will be our starters on the outside, but in Verrett the Niners add their Day 1 starter in the slot. Polished, tenacious, and tough, Verrett fills the only other need on the team. Projects to about this spot with the talent in this draft and his shoulder injury). Backup pick: Kyle Fuller

2(61): traded (Verrett)

3(77): DE Dominique Easley (The Niners don't necessarily need D-line help this year, and are thinking about taking Breeland or Desir here, but when Easley slips to 77 because of injury concerns, they jump on it. He may not be a perfect fit for our system, but Easley has a high motor and knows how to get to the QB. A D-Line centered team like the Niners can always find a place for a guy like that). Backup pick Bashaud Breeland

3(94): traded (Beckham)

3c(100): QB Zach Mettenberger (Has the size and arm strength Harbaugh likes to work with. Looks the part of an NFL QB. Injury, poor mobility, and maturity concerns depress his stock to about here. Already has chemistry with our 1st pick. I don't know if it will be him, but my guess is it will be someone like him around this spot in the draft). Backup pick: David Fales

4: S Craig Loston (The Niners have been spotted at safety pro-days all over the country and even met with some of the top ones. Bethea is a short-term solution and veteran mentor figure. They scope up a good value in Loston in the 4th. Eric Reid's ex-teammate, Loston can play all phases of the safety position. Sits behind Bethea for a year, and we finally get interchangeable safeties). Backup pick: Ahmad Dixon

5: OG Trai Turner (Described as a road grader of a man, and a hot-tub king with the ladies, he's great against the run, but needs some work in the passing game. Good fit for our system). Backup pick Lamin Barrow

6: traded (Gabbert)

Instead of trading away their 7th round picks, or wasting them on camp bodies, the Niners take advantage of the depth in this draft by trading up into the 6th twice here:

7: trade our first two 7's for late 6th: CB Walt Aikens (In Aikens, they land a good sized, physical CB that can play press. Stock depressed because of off-field issues and a small school, Aikens looked legit at the Senior Bowl and has the raw potential).

7: traded (Aikens)

7: trade w/ next year's 7th for late 6th: WR Shaq Evans (That a guy like Evans is projected to go in the 6th-7th is a real testament to how deep this WR class is this year. A bit of a diva in need of solid coaching, Evans has good size, good hands, and enough playmaking ability to turn into a solid possession WR. A great depth pick here with the prospect of turning into something more).

Like all your picks and and back-up picks except I like your back up pick of Breeland at #77 over Easley. Maybe Easley drops to 100.
[ Edited by 60sFan on Apr 5, 2014 at 10:17 AM ]
Basically we are paying two 2nd rd picks and a 3rd rd pick for Odelle Beckham Jr. With all the depth in this draft at WR I'll pass.
Originally posted by MC9BEAT:
Basically we are paying two 2nd rd picks and a 3rd rd pick for Odelle Beckham Jr. With all the depth in this draft at WR I'll pass.

Baalke's draft crush = Beckham......................Book it!
[ Edited by 60sFan on Apr 5, 2014 at 10:55 AM ]
Originally posted by 60sFan:
Originally posted by MC9BEAT:

Baalke's draft crush = Beckham......................Book it!

We will see soon enough.
Nice Draft. Also are you a LSU fan?????????????
Originally posted by Ice49er:
Nice Draft. Also are you a LSU fan?????????????

Ha! I saw the LSU connection too when I finished my mock. No, I'm not a fan. They just happen to have a lot of good prospects coming out of there the last few years. I liked your mock too. We'll see how it all goes down.

I think there are some guys later in the draft at WR who are gonna be a better value than the 1st rounders. I am a fan of waiting, keeping our picks, and really stocking up on the sensational talent available in the 1st 4 rounds of this draft. We could get 6 starting quality talents and that excites me. Maybe not 1st year starters, but eventual starters if Baalke drafts well. This draft has me the most excited I've been since the year we took Vernon. I remember wanting him and Manny Lawson so bad and we got them both.
Don't like the Mettenberger pick, but I would be jumping for joy if we got Beckham and Verrett. Like it overall
Turrible
The first 2 picks are A+... Only okay with Easley... probably rather a "length" corner there.

I like Mett and the value in great there.. but does he have the mobility to fit what we do? Eh... doubt it. I like drafting a QB high though. We got nothing at # 2, and even our # 1 has much to prove.

Getting the rest of those players... which I like all of them... would be great. I don't personally think all or any would fall as far as you have them though.
I really could see us take Beckham. And I would not mind at all.
Share 49ersWebzone