There are 468 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

LZRD WZRD's Mock Draft

Pick 30: CB Jason Verrett (TCU)

Verrett is a great player. He's fast, instinctive, and is a flat out playmaker. He may be a little undersized, but he certainly plays bigger than that and has a good 39 in. vertical leap. He could make a big impact on the team and can cover players like Harvin and Austin. I think he'll be an outstanding pro and if he's there at 30, the 49ers absolutely have to pick him. If he's gone at 30, I think Kyle Fuller would be a good selection in his place. He's a better athlete than Dennard and a better cover man than Gilbert. He's got the height and the ability to be an outside CB and could step in as the #2 guy day 1. They may even be able to trade down into the 2nd round to get him and stash an extra pick in this or next year's draft.

Pick 56: DL Stephon Tuitt (Notre Dame)

Now, it's possible, even likely that Tuitt will be gone by this pick (he may even go to Seattle at #32). But if he is there at 56, I think the 49ers should definitely select him. He had a monster sophomore season and has the potential to develop into an excellent 3-4 DE. I wouldn't be opposed to trading up for him in the 2nd round. He and Carradine could be the replacements for Smith and McDonald and could anchor the DL for years to come. He did come into last season a little overweight and he did under perform. Not to mention, he does have an injury he's dealing with, but he is ultimately a 1st round talent and would be a good investment for the 49ers.

Pick 61: WR Donte Moncrief (Ole Miss)

Yep, the zone's draft crush found his way into my mock too. He provides a great combination of size and speed and has shown the ability to be a great receiver. Boldin's not getting any younger, Crabtree could be on his way out, and Patton is unproven, so it would be foolish to not pick a WR in the first few rounds. I think he's a good value at this spot in the draft and has the potential to develop into a great receiver if he can transition into the pro game. If he's gone, Martavis Bryant would be another high ceiling WR prospect they could take late in the 2nd or in the 3rd round even.

Pick 77: C Marcus Martin (USC)

With Jonathan Goodwin leaving and Kilgore being unproven at this point, investing in Martin would be a good choice. He's got great size and could even fight for the starting center position this year. He has a lot of room to develop still, but with the right coaching and patience, he could turn into a great lineman.

Pick 94: CB Stanley Jean-Baptiste (Nebraska)

Assuming the 49ers take Verrett, they would still lack a big corner. Baptiste has outstanding size (6'3) and had a 41.5 vertical at the combine. He's got long arms and has a lot of potential upside. He is 24 years old and is a little slow, but he could make a big impact as a press corner for the 49ers.

Pick 100: RB/WR Dri Archer (Kent St.)

Archer is an intriguing prospect. He ran a 4.26 at the combine and had a very productive career at Kent State. LaMichael James has not really worked out for the 49ers and could be traded (possibly for a pick in this draft). Archer is faster than James and, like him, is a valuable weapon. He can run the ball, catch screens, play in the slot, and is a dangerous kick returner. He is a little small and injuries are definitely a concern, but I think he would be an upgrade over James and could be a useful weapon to have.

Pick 129: S Craig Loston (LSU)

With Antione Bethea's signing, safety is no longer a primary concern for the 49ers. But, Bethea is 29 and has been on the decline the last few years. Loston would add depth to the position and would be able to develop for a few years. He has good size and is hard hitter, well suited for playing in the box. He has the ability you look for in a safety and could be starting alongside former teammate Eric Reid in a couple years.

Pick 170: LB Lamin Barrow (LSU)

Also from LSU, linebacker Lamin Barrow is an undersized, but strong and smart prospect. He has special teams experience and could compete with Wilhoite and Moody for the primary backup spot at inside linebacker. He has to develop a little if he's going to be a starter, but would be a good value if he fell to the 5th round.

Pick 242: CB Aaron Colvin (Oklahoma)

He would have been a top 100 pick, had he not been injured at the senior bowl. However, he did practice well there and has a lot of upside as a cornerback. Even better, the 49ers can place him on IR so he won't take up a roster spot. He'll have a full year to heal, recover, and learn the system. Great value in the 7th, and would be worth trading up for. He may even be worth the 5th round pick if Barrow is gone.

Pick 243: QB Logan Thomas (VT)

QB project for the 49ers. Has good athletic ability and a very strong arm. However, didn't develop well his last two years in college and may not have the accuracy or instincts to play QB in the NFL. He could also transition to TE. He's the definition of a project player, but does have a high ceiling to work towards.

Pick 245: FB Trey Millard (Oklahoma)

Another injured Oklahoma player. He has good athletic ability and is a good blocker. Like Colvin, he could be redshirted this season and could come back in 2015 and make an impact on the team.
[ Edited by LZRD_WZRD on Apr 4, 2014 at 1:30 PM ]
I can dig it
If we had this draft I would s**t myself and be proud of it!
This would be very similar to my mock draft if I didn't care about being realistic. Tuitt, Jean-Baptiste, Barrow, Colvin, and Thomas will all be gone where you have us picking them. Verrett and Fuller may both be gone by 30 too. Moving Baptiste to 77 and using 94 to move up for Tuitt would make this more realistic.
Originally posted by eastcoast49ersfan:
This would be very similar to my mock draft if I didn't care about being realistic. Tuitt, Jean-Baptiste, Barrow, Colvin, and Thomas will all be gone where you have us picking them. Verrett and Fuller may both be gone by 30 too. Moving Baptiste to 77 and using 94 to move up for Tuitt would make this more realistic.

Totally agree. This draft is dangerously close to being my fanspeak mock draft when I get a lucky draw. I think we would all be in love with this draft if we could get this lucky. Unfortunately most of these players will be gone before we select. But I guess we can dream, can't we?
  • mayo49
  • Veteran
I like.
USC lineman scare me. I'd pass just because he went to SC.
I love it. I'm a huge supporter of taking Tuitt and Moncrief if we can.
Originally posted by BadgerHawk:

Yeah, the ghost of Chilo Rachal still haunt these parts lol.
Originally posted by BadgerHawk:

Bruce Matthews did ok
  • KID9R
  • Veteran
Originally posted by MC9BEAT:
Originally posted by eastcoast49ersfan:

Totally agree. This draft is dangerously close to being my fanspeak mock draft when I get a lucky draw. I think we would all be in love with this draft if we could get this lucky. Unfortunately most of these players will be gone before we select. But I guess we can dream, can't we?

This and that
Pretty dead on how I want the draft to fall. I'm not sure about Baptiste and Loston. I want more speed in the secondary.
i like it but i think some of those guys will be gone.
This is perfect, but not realistic at all.
Originally posted by BrianGO:
This is perfect, but not realistic at all.

This.
No way Tuitt is at 2