There are 216 users in the forums

Mel Kipers Draft Picks for the 49ers

• DeUh
  • Veteran
Originally posted by dtg_9er:
Have to love Kiper...makes all of our mocks look good by contrast!

This.
lol, was this his April fools mock? This is literally the worst thing I've ever witnessed.
  • mayo49
  • Veteran
Those picks are hideous.
I think Mayock's a better judge of talent...he played the game, so has an insight guys like Kiper and McShay don't.
Originally posted by JimHarbaugh:
This is what Mel Kiper would do if he was our GM. I thought some people here might not have an ESPN Insider subscription, so I thought it was worth posting. Looking at this, I am glad ole' Mel is not our GM..

Top needs: CB, WR, C, DL

Round 1 (30) CB Lamarcus Joyner, Florida St.
Round 2 (56) C Marcus Martin, USC (from KC)
Round 2 (61) WR Josh Huff, Oregon
Round 3 (77) DT Dominique Easley, Florida (from TEN)
Round 3 (94) CB Nevin Lawson, Utah St.
Round 3 (100) QB/TE Logan Thomas, Virginia Tech (Comp)

Analysis: This draft sequence is something of a bet that the offensive line remains relatively stable if I get the needed help at center (Martin), and that even if NaVorro Bowman takes his time coming back, the linebacking corps will remain solid. The early priority is grabbing a capable corner, and Joyner can provide impact right away as a Tyrann Mathieu-type, a guy who can play corner, particularly in the slot, and provide time at safety. Huff isn't a burner, but he's more of a developmental project than some other receivers who will be taken in this range. Easley is an early-first round talent coming back from yet another knee injury, but at this point in the draft, getting that kind of talent is worth the shot. If he can spell Ray McDonald and Justin Smith effectively, everyone gets better. I like Lawson as a sleeper and possible corner help, and I love the idea of letting Jim Harbaugh work with Thomas as a developmental project at either QB or tight end. (Thomas really could pull off the conversion if he wanted to.)

Thanks for showing us how bad Kiper is at his job lol...I would like to see who he has left on the board after we pick in the 1st and 2nd.
  • mayo49
  • Veteran
Originally posted by CorvaNinerFan:
I think Mayock's a better judge of talent...he played the game, so has an insight guys like Kiper and McShay don't.

Mayock is a much better than Kiper.
obviously he doesn't follow this team so he's just pulling picks out of his azz! could just imagine how his mocks for other teams are!
Originally posted by Quest4six:
Josh huff in the second round?
I'm an Oregon fan, that would be worse than the AJ Jenkins pick.

Kiper is an idiot all the time!

Fixed it for you Kuiper looks like a cheap gangster, or a used car salesman.
Originally posted by irishluder:
Originally posted by ElephantHaley:
And to think, I really used to defend this guy and follow him. I literally cant stand Mayock and this guy is starting to ware on me as well.

I like Mayock, Charlie Casserlie, Brian Baldinger, Bill Polian

Cant Stand Kiper, Charles Davis, (sometimes) Todd McShay

Originally posted by JimHarbaugh:
This is what Mel Kiper would do if he was our GM. I thought some people here might not have an ESPN Insider subscription, so I thought it was worth posting. Looking at this, I am glad ole' Mel is not our GM..

Top needs: CB, WR, C, DL

Round 1 (30) CB Lamarcus Joyner, Florida St.
Round 2 (56) C Marcus Martin, USC (from KC)
Round 2 (61) WR Josh Huff, Oregon
Round 3 (77) DT Dominique Easley, Florida (from TEN)
Round 3 (94) CB Nevin Lawson, Utah St.
Round 3 (100) QB/TE Logan Thomas, Virginia Tech (Comp)

Analysis: This draft sequence is something of a bet that the offensive line remains relatively stable if I get the needed help at center (Martin), and that even if NaVorro Bowman takes his time coming back, the linebacking corps will remain solid. The early priority is grabbing a capable corner, and Joyner can provide impact right away as a Tyrann Mathieu-type, a guy who can play corner, particularly in the slot, and provide time at safety. Huff isn't a burner, but he's more of a developmental project than some other receivers who will be taken in this range. Easley is an early-first round talent coming back from yet another knee injury, but at this point in the draft, getting that kind of talent is worth the shot. If he can spell Ray McDonald and Justin Smith effectively, everyone gets better. I like Lawson as a sleeper and possible corner help, and I love the idea of letting Jim Harbaugh work with Thomas as a developmental project at either QB or tight end. (Thomas really could pull off the conversion if he wanted to.)

This draft would piss me off because of the Huff pick so high, wouldn't give our 5th for him

The bolded are good players though
Logan is too high as well.
Originally posted by mayo49:
Originally posted by CorvaNinerFan:

Mayock is a much better than Kiper.

Agree completely! When I listen to Mayock I can see the logic behind his thinking...Kiper not so much.

• xcfan
  • Veteran
Originally posted by NYniner85:
Thanks for showing us how bad Kiper is at his job lol...I would like to see who he has left on the board after we pick in the 1st and 2nd.

like mel's opinion of harbaugh?
https

Originally posted by ElephantHaley:
Wow That is a TERRIBLE DRAFT!!! I literally hate ALL the Picks. I pray this does not happen.

I think you guys have to keep in mind that, unlike those here, Kipe is PROBABLY doing early round mocks for ALL 32 TEAMS.

e.g.,...on our need of a young WR for pick #30 on a deep, deep WR draft:

Sammy Watkins 2nd Overall
Mike Evans 7th Overall
Odell Beckham 15th Overall
Brandon Cooks 18th Overall
Marqise Lee 22nd Overall
Kelvin Benjamin 23rd Overall

These are the 6 widely mentioned as 1st rd picks that you could make an argument for top 10-12 picks in normal years.

@ the CB spots Darqueze Dennard, Bradley Roby, Kyle Fuller, and Jason Verrett are also off the board by pick #30.

Kipe's draft gives us a dose of reality that we -- as I've mentioned for awhile now -- need,....as it clues us into the fact that we will have to trade up for to get the extra value not normally there for picks #15-23.

People have argued that we should stay put. Well sure,...let's stay put and get the best that's left,...which is a runt like Lamarcus Joyner.

His picks are certainly not meant to take literally. But given the spots that we had, it'd be a great challenge to see others that criticize him to do mocks based on what he thinks will be left at our spots.
[ Edited by random49er on Apr 5, 2014 at 11:23 AM ]
A few thoughts about what it takes to become an expert--

1) Know every player in the NFL by current and historical stats.
2) Know what their contracts are.
3) Know what scheme their coaches use and how they fit into them.
4) Know the HS and college stats on every college player likely to be drafted and many who aren't...UDFA types.
5) Know the history of their HS and college coaches, the schemes they use and the players benefited or were hurt by them.
6) Watch every tape of every player to gain knowledge of their in-game ability as opposed to stats.
7) Watch as many games in person as possible.

There are probably many I haven't considered but this gives you an idea of what many of the GMs have done over the past ten to twenty years of their lives. I can't compete with that, nor do I want to do so.
Originally posted by RishikeshA:
Rather lackluster.

• buck
  • Veteran
Originally posted by dtg_9er:
A few thoughts about what it takes to become an expert--

1) Know every player in the NFL by current and historical stats.
2) Know what their contracts are.
3) Know what scheme their coaches use and how they fit into them.
4) Know the HS and college stats on every college player likely to be drafted and many who aren't...UDFA types.
5) Know the history of their HS and college coaches, the schemes they use and the players benefited or were hurt by them.
6) Watch every tape of every player to gain knowledge of their in-game ability as opposed to stats.
7) Watch as many games in person as possible.

There are probably many I haven't considered but this gives you an idea of what many of the GMs have done over the past ten to twenty years of their lives. I can't compete with that, nor do I want to do so.

Why know the high school stats or the history of their high school coaches?

Share 49ersWebzone