LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 229 users in the forums

Mel Kipers Draft Picks for the 49ers

This is what Mel Kiper would do if he was our GM. I thought some people here might not have an ESPN Insider subscription, so I thought it was worth posting. Looking at this, I am glad ole' Mel is not our GM..

Top needs: CB, WR, C, DL

Round 1 (30) CB Lamarcus Joyner, Florida St.
Round 2 (56) C Marcus Martin, USC (from KC)
Round 2 (61) WR Josh Huff, Oregon
Round 3 (77) DT Dominique Easley, Florida (from TEN)
Round 3 (94) CB Nevin Lawson, Utah St.
Round 3 (100) QB/TE Logan Thomas, Virginia Tech (Comp)

Analysis: This draft sequence is something of a bet that the offensive line remains relatively stable if I get the needed help at center (Martin), and that even if NaVorro Bowman takes his time coming back, the linebacking corps will remain solid. The early priority is grabbing a capable corner, and Joyner can provide impact right away as a Tyrann Mathieu-type, a guy who can play corner, particularly in the slot, and provide time at safety. Huff isn't a burner, but he's more of a developmental project than some other receivers who will be taken in this range. Easley is an early-first round talent coming back from yet another knee injury, but at this point in the draft, getting that kind of talent is worth the shot. If he can spell Ray McDonald and Justin Smith effectively, everyone gets better. I like Lawson as a sleeper and possible corner help, and I love the idea of letting Jim Harbaugh work with Thomas as a developmental project at either QB or tight end. (Thomas really could pull off the conversion if he wanted to.)
Josh huff in the second round?
I'm an Oregon fan, that would be worse than the AJ Jenkins pick.

Kiper is an idiot on that one
So glad I don't pay for that trash.
Thanks for posting the info though.

Wanna throw the ball around a little?
[ Edited by SFL49ER on Apr 3, 2014 at 4:54 PM ]
The only pick I like is Martin.
Wow That is a TERRIBLE DRAFT!!! I literally hate ALL the Picks. I pray this does not happen.
yikes
And to think, I really used to defend this guy and follow him. I literally cant stand Mayock and this guy is starting to ware on me as well.
Originally posted by ElephantHaley:
And to think, I really used to defend this guy and follow him. I literally cant stand Mayock and this guy is starting to ware on me as well.

I like Mayock, Charlie Casserlie, Brian Baldinger, Bill Polian

Cant Stand Kiper, Charles Davis, (sometimes) Todd McShay

Originally posted by JimHarbaugh:
This is what Mel Kiper would do if he was our GM. I thought some people here might not have an ESPN Insider subscription, so I thought it was worth posting. Looking at this, I am glad ole' Mel is not our GM..

Analysis: This draft sequence is something of a bet that the offensive line remains relatively stable if I get the needed help at center (Martin), and that even if NaVorro Bowman takes his time coming back, the linebacking corps will remain solid. The early priority is grabbing a capable corner, and Joyner can provide impact right away as a Tyrann Mathieu-type, a guy who can play corner, particularly in the slot, and provide time at safety. Huff isn't a burner, but he's more of a developmental project than some other receivers who will be taken in this range. Easley is an early-first round talent coming back from yet another knee injury, but at this point in the draft, getting that kind of talent is worth the shot. If he can spell Ray McDonald and Justin Smith effectively, everyone gets better. I like Lawson as a sleeper and possible corner help, and I love the idea of letting Jim Harbaugh work with Thomas as a developmental project at either QB or tight end. (Thomas really could pull off the conversion if he wanted to.)

This draft would piss me off because of the Huff pick so high, wouldn't give our 5th for him

The bolded are good players though
Rather lackluster.

Originally posted by irishluder:
I like Mayock, Charlie Casserlie, Brian Baldinger, Bill Polian

Cant Stand Kiper, Charles Davis, (sometimes) Todd McShay

This draft would piss me off because of the Huff pick so high, wouldn't give our 5th for him

The bolded are good players though

I've got a man crush on Charles Davis. Permanent smile and positive attitude. CD, Charlie Casserlie and Daniel Jeremiah have turned my favorite show (path to the draft) into the best hour of the day. Back to subject I agree with your bolded players other than Logan Thomas. Maybe in the 5th round but there are plenty of other 3rd round prospects that have more upside and ability to produce quickly. Too much potential in the top 100 to spend on a back up qb with accuracy issues.
Originally posted by JimHarbaugh:

That would be a catastrophe IMO.

I like Joyner as a player, but not 1st round.

Martin would be yet another 2nd rounder with no role on offense. I'd rather select a Center later in the draft to groom.

I'm actually higher on Huff compared to most. Would not mind using the 61st pick on him.

Easley is a nice pick. Talented guy who is only there because of injury concerns, but I question the need for another DE when we have Smith, Ray Mac, Carradine, and TJE really flashed potential.

I'm not familiar with Lawson so I won't comment.

Logan Thomas in the 3rd round would make me dry heave, McCloughan style. 7th round or UDFA flier for him.
Love the Marcus Martin pick. He's one of my favorite prospects in the entire draft.
Joyner would be ok if we traded back a few slots and gained an extra pick
I would prefer to see if Martin slides into the 3rd round before taking him.
Don't want Huff in rd 2 or rd 3
Easley is ok where selected
Don't want Lawson in the 3rd round or 4th
Don't want Thomas before the 5th round

This would be a very disappointing draft for us.
  • LVJay
  • Veteran
Kiper needs to come in here, take a look at one of the dozens of mocks and learn a thing or two. No Joke!!
Share 49ersWebzone