LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 270 users in the forums

Positions you want to see get stronger

I'd love to see the qb position get stronger. Kap gets hurt and we are f**ked.
Originally posted by Memphis9er:
I'd love to see the qb position get stronger. Kap gets hurt and we are f**ked.

Blaine to the rescue
There are no Goldilocks corners in this draft, they all have flaws. Gilbert-technique, Dennard-hips/athleticism, Roby-concentration, Verrett-height, Fuller-durability. I could see Baalke picking another position just because of the risk of taking these players in a deep class at the position. Tuitt would be a Baalke style pick I could see taking place. Long arms, strong, very young, excellent size.
[ Edited by ESWYoung08 on Apr 3, 2014 at 12:42 PM ]
Our biggest need is definitely the secondary. I could see Baalke pulling a 1981 and drafting two corners and a safety with 3 of the first 4 picks. I also think we need a more explosive return game, and we should take a player for this specific purpose in the draft.

People keep saying WR is an area of huge need. It's not. Our No. 1 and 2 are as good as any in the league, as is our TE. Not saying we shouldn't draft a WR, but there will be plenty to have in the 3rd and 4th round.
Originally posted by ESWYoung08:
There are no Goldilocks corners in this draft, they all have flaws. Gilbert-technique, Dennard-hips/athleticism, Roby-concentration, Verrett-height, Fuller-durability. I could see Baalke picking another position just because of the risk of taking these players in a deep class at the position. Tuitt would be a Baalke style pick I could see taking place. Long arms, strong, very young, excellent size.

I agree with this - Gilbert is the only one that should be taken in the top 15 picks in my opinion but he is raw. Fuller probably has the fewest question marks but he's the worst athlete of the bunch. Dennard is a scheme fit and Verrett fits a need (Roby too but he may not be ready to play slot corner immediately).

Gilbert - technique, small hands (8 5/8")
Dennard - speed (4.51), bad hips, very short arms (30 1/4"), and smallish hands (9")
Fuller - speed (4.49) and durability
Verrett - short (5'9) and short arms (30 5/8")
Roby - head

There are a lot of corners we can get in rounds 2-3 who could be pretty good. I think corner is the biggest need and we will run a lot of 2 TE sets on offense.
For next year:

1) Center - I am by far the most worried about center. Kilgore? The question is, is he an UPGRADE? If not an upgrade, than is he the same as Goodwin? If he is the same or worse than Goodwin, then I would be very disappointed, because we need an UPGRADE at the center position. We can't stay on par or go down.
So here is the problem. If Kilgore IS an upgrade, then why did he not start over Goodwin in the first place? That is why I am confused as to why people believe he will improve our center position.

2) CB - I feel this position is slightly overrated in the NFL. A good pass rush, with a good scheme, can hide a lot of faults at CB. However, we did lose Rodgers and Brown, so we will have to bring in some players in the top 6 picks.

3) WR - We have so many damn injuries at this position, we better make sure it is deep next year.

4) MLB - Bowman. We need to pray that he is going to come back strong. I like Wilhoite, but it wouldn't hurt to have depth behind him.

5) PR - Would be very nice to have some elite impact here.

6) QB - I always believe in bringing in more QB talent.

For the future:

1) WR - Boldin on the two year deal. Crabtree has one year left, and the franchise tag is probably too expensive. Considering that WR's take time to develop, we need to bring in some talented rookies this year to they can be ready in the next few years.

2) DL - Justin Smith has a few years left. Dorsey is signed for one more year. Williams I think only has two more years left on his deal, and he is not yet proven. McDonald isn't a spring chicken anymore either. We need guys to rotate in and maintain a high level of play. It's always a good idea to add talent on the DL.

3) CB - We have some question marks and brass knuckleheads at this position.

4) G - Iupati isn't getting 10 million from us. Are we looney enough to depend on unknown late round picks at this position?

5) C - This depends on Kilgore, which is much more of a short term question right now.
Missionary AND doggie style
Originally posted by NeeJ49er:
I know there are some positions on the team that might be set , but there is always room for Improvement

I'd like to see some talent brought in for :

3rd and 4th CB - Cully's future is cloudy, Morris is not a safe bet to make the team, Cox is a quality reserve , but not starting material, Chris Cook needs to prove his worth after last years debacle in minnesota ..Wright and Brock are probably our starters as of now , so I'm hoping we bring in a couple more CB's for camp competition , and hopefully we find our fulltime nickel back or possible starter for next season

# 3 TE
..Carrrier and Celek are decent TE's , but I'd like to see us bring in another TE to groom for action down the road, preferably a quick target that can get open that is also a strong blocker

# 3 QB ..Gabbert should develop into a serviceable QB under Harbaughs tutelage , so backup QB shouldn't be an issue, but I am still hoping we draft another signal caller, Bethel Thompson has some talent , but maybe we draft a strong pocket passer that has a similar skill set as Kaeperknick , grabbing another QB to develop would be a great insurance policy to insure future success and quality

reserve ILB ...Bowman will obviously miss some time , and I'm fairly confident a platoon of Moody and Wilhoite can get the Job done until he returns, but if there is a chance to draft an ILB that can contribute from day one, we need to pounce on the opportunity

# 3 WR ...we really shouldn't anoint Patton the #3 WR right now , there is room for improvement and the need for an explosive playmaker is still there , which is why we will draft a receiver with one of our first 4 picks IMO

reserve Center : Kilgore has been waiting for this chance for a long time , and I know Looney will probably get some snaps in pre season at center, but if we can draft a talented center that could also double as a guard, our offensive line depth will be stronger than any other teams in the NFL

what are your thoughts?

# 2 TE* - McDonald is garbage
Originally posted by Draftology:
I know there are some positions on the team that might be set , but there is always room for Improvement

3rd and 4th CB - Cully's future is cloudy, Morris is not a safe bet to make the team, Cox is a quality reserve , but not starting material, Chris Cook needs to prove his worth after last years debacle in minnesota ..Wright and Brock are probably our starters as of now , so I'm hoping we bring in a couple more CB's for camp competition , and hopefully we find our fulltime nickel back or possible starter for next season

# 3 TE
..Carrrier and Celek are decent TE's , but I'd like to see us bring in another TE to groom for action down the road, preferably a quick target that can get open that is also a strong blocker

# 3 QB ..Gabbert should develop into a serviceable QB under Harbaughs tutelage , so backup QB shouldn't be an issue, but I am still hoping we draft another signal caller, Bethel Thompson has some talent , but maybe we draft a strong pocket passer that has a similar skill set as Kaeperknick , grabbing another QB to develop would be a great insurance policy to insure future success and quality

reserve ILB ...Bowman will obviously miss some time , and I'm fairly confident a platoon of Moody and Wilhoite can get the Job done until he returns, but if there is a chance to draft an ILB that can contribute from day one, we need to pounce on the opportunity

# 3 WR ...we really shouldn't anoint Patton the #3 WR right now , there is room for improvement and the need for an explosive playmaker is still there , which is why we will draft a receiver with one of our first 4 picks IMO

reserve Center : Kilgore has been waiting for this chance for a long time , and I know Looney will probably get some snaps in pre season at center, but if we can draft a talented center that could also double as a guard, our offensive line depth will be stronger than any other teams in the NFL

what are your thoughts?

I'm expecting big things from Vance this season ...I love the highlight of Sherman bouncing off him in the NFCCG ....he has established himself as a strong blocker, now this season he will need to work on being a threat catching the ball ...he has a chance to be a great weapon for us this season
I think it gets overlooked a lot but Im not happy with the play of the right side of the line, from center on.

Now that we have Martin I feel better about RT but Anthony Davis got his tail spanked at times last year in particularly in the NFC Title game. He is very inconsistent at times and he seems to get flustered, confused and overwhelmed easily.

At center even last year with Goodwin we rarely got any push at the point of attack. We need a road Grader at center like Newberry if we want to be a power running team on third and short. Im tired of watching the middle of the line get no push. Is Kilgore the answer? Im not sure but he is very green to say the least.

At RG I think Boone did a pretty good job in his first year as a starter but he needs to improve his drive blocking. He isn't very explosive off the line and is more of an engaging style blocker. The guy is 6`8 and only weighs 300lbs. He plays to high and he still has the frame of an OT. He needs to bulk up to around 330 lbs which would be barely noticeable on his frame. Then he needs to hit the squats and blocking sled to improve his explosiveness and lower his center of gravity. He isn't your prototypical G at 6`8 and he plays like it.

The rest are obvious...

CB
WR
S
QB
ILB

Originally posted by Draftology:

# 3 TE

what are your thoughts?

Not going to happen. We may draft a No 3 though. Although even that may well be covered.

Most people accept that it takes time for the average college player to grow into an NFL starter. Except for the 1st round picks, some of whom bust anyway.
Kaeps legs
Share 49ersWebzone