There are 267 users in the forums

Jordan Tripp- LB, Montana

Given Bowman's injury and Willis getting close to 30, I think this is the year we invest a top 150 pick on a good backup ILB and potential longterm starter.

Of all the linebackers I've looked at (especially those whose value lines up with where we'd take a LB), the prospect that stood out the most is Jordan Tripp the LB for Montana. He reminds me very much of a mix between Navarro Bowman and Kiko Alonso coming out as he's instinctive, slightly undersized (at 234), and can flat out fly.

Like Bowman, Tripp spent most of his career at OLB in a 4-3 (though has played some interior as well). Based on the lb's we've added under this regime (Willis, Bowman, Moody, Wilhoite) it's clear that we value players with speed/instincts over bulky/stout backers. This only makes sense as the NFL has become a speed league and if the guys upfront can take on double teams, those linebackers will shine.

I would bet money that we have Tripp pretty high on our linebacker rankings and can only hope that we pull the trigger on him. Going to D1-AA there isn't a ton of videos available online, but here are some highlights from just 1 playoff game.

CBS sports: Tripp was a relative man amongst boys at the FCS level, earning a spot among the finalists for the Buck Buchanan Award as the best small school defender in the country. The third-generation Grizzly also proved that he could handle the jump in competition by enjoying a solid week at the Senior Bowl.

In some respects, Tripp is the stereotypical small school linebacker, as he is highly instinctive, tenacious and a team captain.

Don't sell Tripp short, however. Besides sporting a legitimate NFL frame, he's also a fluid athlete with good closing speed. He possesses the length and burst to intrigue as a pass rusher but only posted 11 sacks over 40 career games (25 starts) because he was more dangerous handling the run from the middle and dropping back into coverage.

Jordan Tripp- LB, Montana
6-2, 235 lbs
40- 4.6
Bench: 22 reps
20 Yard Shuttle: 3.96 (fastest at combine)
3 Cone: 6.89 (4th fastest at combine)

[ Edited by 49oz2superbowl on Apr 2, 2014 at 5:42 PM ]
Chris Borland is my guy. Barrow will be the consolation prize at ILB.
Tripp is very underrated. I think he is a starter in the league. To me, a better chase player on the backside of a play, but solid overall skills. Super athletic. Looked great in combine drills. Smooth.
This kid should be high on our radar, he could play ILB or OLB in our defense and with the injury to Bowman and uncertain future with Aldon, Tripp would be a great ST and situational player who could be a real good starter down the road! Very athletic with great character and wants to be a great football pro. I would spend a 4th on him, especially if we trade back and get an extra 4th some how!
  • xcfan
  • Veteran
Originally posted by irishluder:
This kid should be high on our radar, he could play ILB or OLB in our defense and with the injury to Bowman and uncertain future with Aldon, Tripp would be a great ST and situational player who could be a real good starter down the road! Very athletic with great character and wants to be a great football pro. I would spend a 4th on him, especially if we trade back and get an extra 4th some how!

0% chance he's there at our 4th rd pick.
A ton of my family lives in Missoula and are Grizzly alumni...They love Tripp and so do the scouts! He is real versatile and has good closing speed. I wouldn't be mad if we drafted him in the 3rd
Very short arms could drop him a little (30 3/4") but I agree he's unlikely to be there for our 4th round pick. I would rather have Barrow who has much longer arms, is a little stronger, and actually played ILB in college and Barrow is projected to be available much later. Tripp seems like a 4-3 OLB with his athleticism but thin frame and short arms.
Share 49ersWebzone