There are 252 users in the forums

Crazy's moderately probable Mock Draft 4/1

Originally posted by Paul_Hofer:

I'm not sold on any of the second round WRs adding much to what Boldin, Crabtree and Patton already show. Cooks and Beckham too don't overwhelm me. Perhaps trading out for a second or higher 2015 1st rounder is the way to go, select one of the 3rd round speed guys. My preference is to trade up for Evans or Watkins with picks and including Ray McDonald (Dorsey can take his position). It won't happen, but it would all but guarantee a significant improvement on offense.

What I forgot to put in my little mock what my reasoning for the two WRs: I don't think we'll resign Crabtree next year and Boldin will retire after the second year of deal.

My bad to forget to add that in.

Originally posted by NYniner85:
I like the mock! I think Claiborne would thrive in our system...if we could work a trade for Claiborne, why not move some picks to grab Evans? I think his skill set would be a prefect fit for us ( spread the field, use 3 WR sets??), plus Balkee has an eye for drafting DBs in later rds.

All that said I would be very happy with this! All of the players have a good chance to make the team and we grabbed a 2nd rd pick

I'd prefer to trade up for Evans and just pick up CB depth later (McGill, Desir, Jean-Baptiste, Watkins), but in this mock Baalke can't get into the early 1st round without giving up too much (ala future 1st rounder), which isn't his style. That's why he goes for Claiborne instead.

Originally posted by LasVegasWally:
First, GREAT layout and descriptions in the mock. I really enjoyed it and it was fun. Too many people here are WAYYYY too serious at times.

Some good picks. First 3 are pretty solid although the jury is still out on Clairborn.

Thanks, wanted to have fun with it. My hope is having both a new system geared towards his strengths and having Eric Reid paired with him will bring back his LSU talents.
Very detailed and awesome draft. Well done. I could def see Baalke trade up to get his guy, even though he could be there at #30 he wont take the risk.
  • mayo49
  • Veteran
You really are crazy. Not bad, though.
i would drool if we got Varret and Claiborne
the site is trolling my posts..
Nice job webzone.. trolling us pretty good
Trade a 2nd rounder in the deepest draft in decades for Claiborne? You smoking dope man.
  • mayo49
  • Veteran
Originally posted by kronik:
Trade a 2nd rounder in the deepest draft in decades for Claiborne? You smoking dope man.

LOL

Especially when the rumored asking price is a 3rd
  • mayo49
  • Veteran
Originally posted by solidg2000:

That's why his name is crazy.

Test.
How much do you wanna bet that we don't go CB, CB to kick this thing off?

Psch, I doubt JJ lets him go for a 3rd.

As for draft depth, that is true, there is depth, but barely two years ago Claiborne was hyped more than Peterson was out of LSU, and was designated a "Top Tier" talent. Sure, that 2nd or 5th rounder could've snagged a possible CB prospect (McGill, Desir, Jean-Baptiste, Joyner, etc.), but none showed nearly the talent that Claiborne showed when he was in the RIGHT system.

Play him man to man with Eric Reid paired over him, and I'm telling you, this guy will show why he was originally drafted 8th overall.
Originally posted by Crazy49er1313:

Psch, I doubt JJ lets him go for a 3rd.

As for draft depth, that is true, there is depth, but barely two years ago Claiborne was hyped more than Peterson was out of LSU, and was designated a "Top Tier" talent. Sure, that 2nd or 5th rounder could've snagged a possible CB prospect (McGill, Desir, Jean-Baptiste, Joyner, etc.), but none showed nearly the talent that Claiborne showed when he was in the RIGHT system.

Play him man to man with Eric Reid paired over him, and I'm telling you, this guy will show why he was originally drafted 8th overall.

This is the same JJ that's let us jump up to #18 from 31 for only a 3rd rounder (iirc)
He's not great at stuff like this (another example romos contract lol)
At this point, I think it's safe to say that Claiborne should never have been compared to Patrick Peterson. He's an overrated athlete (pretty underwhelming combine numbers) with tiny hands (8 1/2") and is not very big (188 pounds at the combine compared to 219 for Peterson). He does have long arms and was reasonably successful in college, but I wonder if some of the reason he is unsuccessful is because he's a moron. He got a 4 on the Wonderlic which is absurd.

He's an average athlete who has not performed well in the NFL and nothing is going on upstairs. I think a 3rd round pick is more than fair for him given he has also used up 2 years on his rookie contract and is being paid like the #6 draft pick instead of a 3rd rounder which reduces his value unless the Cowboys are willing to cover some of it.

I'd rather take McGill or Desir in the 3rd, because by the time Claiborne learns our defense, his rookie contract will almost be up.
Share 49ersWebzone