LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 226 users in the forums

The Secondary debate...how are they evaluated?

• pfizz
first you to have to look at our biggest need - a inside cornerback. out of all these guys who fits that role the best on our defense and against the opponents we frequently face? jason verrett.
[ Edited by pfizz on Mar 31, 2014 at 10:05 PM ]
Originally posted by Kolohe:
Originally posted by Harbaalke:
Mike Mayock ranks Kyle Fuller ahead of Justin Gilbert the kid is really impressing him intrigues me

Yah, I don't know about that, Fuller is good no doubt, but Justin Gilbert is a beast!!! Mayock some times tends to fall in love with a player and create his own hype for him. Don't get me wrong Mayocks analysis is one of the best, but after listening to him a few years, you kind of get that the sense he's building a draft crush on a player. And you know what, I hope he proves me wrong and Fuller goes first....it only helps the 9ers chances of landing Gilbert.

Yeah, Mayock is hit and miss just like any draft "expert". But his analysis is definitely more detailed and articulate than most. He hit the nail on the head with Brandon Flowers a few years ago. At the same time he fell in love with guys like Ahmad Black and some other kid from North Carolina that did nothing in the league.
Yah, I don't know about that, Fuller is good no doubt, but Justin Gilbert is a beast!!! Mayock some times tends to fall in love with a player and create his own hype for him. Don't get me wrong Mayocks analysis is one of the best, but after listening to him a few years, you kind of get that the sense he's building a draft crush on a player. And you know what, I hope he proves me wrong and Fuller goes first....it only helps the 9ers chances of landing Gilbert.

I honestly don't think there's much of a difference between Fuller and Gilbert. Gilbert is flashier, more athletic, better size but in terms of skill in playing the position, I don't see a big advantage for Gilbert. Like I've said before, he's not a #1 star CB type that you usually see getting drafted in the Top 10. He had a great Combine and hit a tidal wave of hype in a year which is pretty weak in terms of cornerback talent at the very top.

In reality both him and Fuller should be late 1st rounders at best.
[ Edited by Phoenix49ers on Mar 31, 2014 at 10:10 PM ]
Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:
I honestly don't think there's much of a difference between Fuller and Gilbert. Gilbert is flashier, more athletic, better size but in terms of skill in playing the position, I don't see a big advantage for Gilbert.

I agree with this 100%. I'd probably give a small edge to Gilbert, but I really don't think it would be anywhere near worth it to trade up for a guy like that in such a deep draft.

I think Baalke blew it not going after a CB in free agency, and I get the sinking feeling this is a throw-away season with how insanely strong the division is and how weak the secondary is (I think it's unrealistic to think a rookie or 2 will make up the difference). That's why I'm more in favor of going after high-ceiling players in large numbers rather than one or two players who are good right now. If the Niners signed a good CB I'd be all for drafting Verrett because he's good right now. Since they didn't, I'm more in favor of trading down & getting some high-ceiling players & setting up for a super-strong 2015. Just how I see it.
[ Edited by VPofCarnage on Mar 31, 2014 at 10:31 PM ]
Originally posted by VPofCarnage:
I agree with this 100%. I'd probably give a small edge to Gilbert, but I really don't think it would be anywhere near worth it to trade up for a guy like that in such a deep draft.

Trading up a few picks for Gilbert, sure........trading up 15 picks for Gilbert, hell no. If they trade up, I want to see Dennard get drafted.
  • Kolohe
  • Hall of Fame

I honestly don't think there's much of a difference between Fuller and Gilbert. Gilbert is flashier, more athletic, better size but in terms of skill in playing the position, I don't see a big advantage for Gilbert. Like I've said before, he's not a #1 star CB type that you usually see getting drafted in the Top 10. He had a great Combine and hit a tidal wave of hype in a year which is pretty weak in terms of cornerback talent at the very top.

In reality both him and Fuller should be late 1st rounders at best.

Well Phoenix, I'm not paying attention to the hype, instead I've been high on this kid before last season. Don't know if you have the time to go back a couple hundred pages and see my post' about him. In terms of ball skills and press man coverage I gotta give it to Gilbert, sure he might have some red flags about him being kicked out of a game once or twice IIRC, but he backs up his talk which he does tend to do a lot. But yes, the hype of the media that has built up about Gilbert may get him drafted high, I remember when no one was talking about this kid, then came up as a 2nd round pick. As for Fuller though, I've seen a ton of VaTech games, but to tell you the truth it was hard to keep an eye on him and hasn't really stood out to me like Gilbert has. That's just my point of view and opinion of course.

And you know me, I'd be happy with any of the top 4 CB's in this draft.
  • Kolohe
  • Hall of Fame
Originally posted by VPofCarnage:

Trading up a few picks for Gilbert, sure........trading up 15 picks for Gilbert, hell no. If they trade up, I want to see Dennard get drafted.

Yah, I've talked some smack and jokingly have said now that Culliver has been arrested, let's trade up to #10. But we all know that's not gonna happen, not with Baalke at least. But trading up to maybe secure Dennard would be a dream come true too.
Get Dennard!
Share 49ersWebzone