LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 250 users in the forums

Whad'ya want 'em to do?

This is a win now organization. Baalke most likely will move up, the question is how far.
Originally posted by RishikeshA:
This is a win now organization. Baalke most likely will move up, the question is how far.

I think this may be overstating. Baalke's offseason strategy since Harbaugh came along has ben extremely conservative. He's been more of a guy who's going to try to sustain for the long term over loading up for an all-or-nothing season.

I think a win-now organization would have mortgaged the future a little and signed a CB like Revis, DRC< Antonio Cromartie or a number of other CBs the last couple of offseasons. Instead he settled for guys mediocre CBs, tried to get something for nothing in a vain attempt at resurrecting Randy Moss' career, neglected WR depth. etc.

I'm not saying he won't trade up, but I think Baalke is equally concerned with 2016 as he is with 2014. And I think he's had that kind of attitude the last 3 years.
It all depends on how the draft falls. If we have a shot at Gilbert for say a 1st and a 3rd I would take it. If we could get Verrett or Fuller at #30 I would draft them. If not I would trade back from #30 to #36 and pick up a 3rd rounder. Trade back again to #42 and get another 3rd rounder. Then I would go after Tuitt and target Moncrief and Roby with our other 2nd rd picks.

We would have 5 third rd picks. We could target a C/G, WR, CB, Safety and ILB in Rd 3.

We could pick up a PR/KR like Dri Archer in round 4 and CB Aaron Colvin in Rd 5

Add some future potential in Rd 7 like Spencer long or Millard or Whitley you could possibly end up with the best draft in 49ers history.

It all depends on how the draft falls.
The 49ers have lots of ammo for this draft so with a little luck and the depth of this draft it could be an amazing draft for us.
[ Edited by MC9BEAT on Mar 31, 2014 at 5:21 PM ]
Stay put and take BPA at CB and WR in the first 2 rds. The additional 2nd can be a luxury of sorts... QB (If Kaep isn't locked up and the talent is there)... S.. OG... more CB also works. If we really like our rd 1-2 haul? then trade a 3rd for a future 2nd, if we want.
This reminds me of a Walsh draft...perhaps the Jerry Rice draft? I want them to trade up for a high/mid first rounder (10-15) and then down...in order to keep as many (five?) of the top 100 picks.
I'm not really sure what I want them to do...

What's funny though is that last year we made a lot of "sexy" picks. Going into the draft, Marcus Lattimore was a player that got a lot of "sleeper" hype. Tank Carradine too. The Honey Badger was another one. We got two of those three! I mean seriously, how often does a team draft a player you want -- let alone MULTIPLE players you want? That rarely happens!
[ Edited by theduke85 on Mar 31, 2014 at 6:18 PM ]
Originally posted by VPofCarnage:
Originally posted by RishikeshA:

I think this may be overstating. Baalke's offseason strategy since Harbaugh came along has ben extremely conservative. He's been more of a guy who's going to try to sustain for the long term over loading up for an all-or-nothing season.

I think a win-now organization would have mortgaged the future a little and signed a CB like Revis, DRC< Antonio Cromartie or a number of other CBs the last couple of offseasons. Instead he settled for guys mediocre CBs, tried to get something for nothing in a vain attempt at resurrecting Randy Moss' career, neglected WR depth. etc.

I'm not saying he won't trade up, but I think Baalke is equally concerned with 2016 as he is with 2014. And I think he's had that kind of attitude the last 3 years.
I agree completely. We are not a win-now organization at all. We are a stay-the-course, never-deviate-from-the-grand-plan-even-if-it's-tempting sort of organization.

The 49ers didn't trade up for Eric Reid last year because they were desperate and were looking for the missing piece. They did it because they had a surplus of draft picks and knew that they didn't have room for all of their draft picks anyway.

I don't know if I'm ready to call Baalke a draft genius (the 2012 draft sings too much), but I thought Baalke's 2013 draft was masterful. I can't believe he was able to trade back, pick up an extra third, and still draft Tank. That was a wonderful and masterful sequence of events.
Originally posted by eastcoast49ersfan:
Draft Tuitt at 30 and trade up early in the 2nd for Verrett or vice versa. Grab Moncrief with the other 2nd round pick.

This is it for me. Whatever type of wheeling and dealing that allows us to get Tuitt AND Verrett. The only other picks we'd NEED out of the 2014 draft would be a burner or two at receiver. I'm hoping many GMs overlook Verrett because of the height which would allow us to move up from 56 and nab him near the top of the 2nd. Perhaps trading LaMichael James and Kansas City's pick to move higher in the second round. We could still get good receivers at 61 and the third rounds as well as draft a back like Dri Archer to replace LaMichael James.
I originally wanted them to trade back. I thought the talent in this field was so deep would could get away with dropping back a couple picks.
But now that Cully became even more of an idiot, which i didn't think was possible... I want them to get 1st round talent in that secondary... I don't want the overall CB between 6-10 I want the ones between 1-5.

Also, I think it is all going to depend on the draft.
If the guys we want are getting off the board early I wouldn't be surprised to watch us move up to grab somebody,
But if they are still there come our pick I bet Baalke trades back (hopefully getting rid of LMJ in the process because then I'd be hopeful we were going after Archer)

Originally posted by mutant-man49:
Trade up…a move into the top 10 is very possible. I'm thinking Watkins, Gilbert or Evans

Hey Coach Ditka time for you to take a big puff of your cigar and relax a tad bit. in a draft this deep you want to fleece the farm for one player.
Originally posted by Negrodamus:
Originally posted by mutant-man49:
Trade up…a move into the top 10 is very possible. I'm thinking Watkins, Gilbert or Evans

Hey Coach Ditka time for you to take a big puff of your cigar and relax a tad bit. in a draft this deep you want to fleece the farm for one player.

To further piggyback on this,
If we got the top 10 pick i am almost 99% sure it wouldn't be wasted on Gilbert or Evans, at least I hope not.
Am i the only one who feels that way?
I say after reading the title I did not think you would use "whom" like an English ninja.
Target the players you want, and trade and manipulate the board to get them. Trade up, trade down, whatever you want. Just get the players you want. As long as they have a plan to draft some WR's and CB's, we will be ok.

I want them to draft a speed WR as priority #1. This would compliment Kap's strengths.
  • LVJay
  • Veteran
I'd prefer we trade up. If not, then just stay put... I don't mind if they trade away the 5th and three 7th rd picks for whatever.
Share 49ersWebzone