There are 115 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

what about garrett gilbert?

• xcfan
  • Veteran
- prototypical size
- can make all the throws. nfl accuracy.
- an andrew luck golden boy coming out of high school
- made great improvement the last season and a half.
- size qb who runs as well or better than bortles
- as good as mccarron right now; wouldn't be shocking if he was better than bortles and carr in a few years.
- if you look at his recent film, there is no big gap between him and the other name qbs
- bloodlines. some of us watched his dad play at cal and nfl.
- intelligent. good habits.
- he's only under the radar because, early on, expectations were super high for him and he failed to impress at the expected level.
- regarding the 49ers, gilbert is as good or better of a prospect as blaine gabbert was coming out of college. he just has no hype attached to his name.
- watch his film.

I've watched his film, he is great.
Unfortunately we rely on a mobile QB, he isn't there yet... Although i believe he has the talent.
I just don't see anybody starting over Kap.

Plus he would have to beat out Gabbert, who is a lot better QB than he gets credit for (in terms of talent, not stats)
[ Edited by Quest4six on Mar 30, 2014 at 12:30 AM ]
He's an intriguing guy. Top prospect out of high school. Has the physical tools.

Only time I saw him play was when he crapped his pants in the National Title Game with Texas. Then again, he was a true freshman at the time and not expected to play. Tough when your first significant game experience is the title game.
Might make a nice UDFA and member of the practice squad.
Originally posted by MC9BEAT:

What? He's probably going to go in the 3rd or 4th round and will definitely be drafted.

I think xcfan is too high on him - his pro day numbers in the vertical, 3 cone, and shuttle were significantly worse than Bortles' and his 40 time was in the 4.8's which is equivalent to Bortles' 4.93 at the combine. I honestly think Bortles is faster than his 40 time indicates and just had a couple bad 40's but he may not have the technique. Either way, he's clearly a better athlete than Gilbert if you look at the combine and pro day numbers or tape.

I'm not sure who I would take between McCarron and Gilbert - they seem to be pretty similar quarterbacks playing in very different situations. Similar size and athleticism, similar arm strength (Gilbert may have a slight edge here), McCarron may be a better decision maker, but teams are going to heavily discount his stats and wins because of his supporting cast.

I'm concerned that Gilbert put up poor stats throughout college against weak competition until this season. The two biggest name teams they played this year also had terrible defenses (Texas Tech and Texas A&M).

There is no way Gilbert is a better prospect than Gabbert was. Gabbert was productive his last 2 years of college compared to one for Gilbert, was younger coming out, and was a much better athlete. Gabbert had a ton of hype because he was a reasonably accurate QB with good size, pretty good arm strength, and outstanding athleticism. He also did very well on the Wonderlic so he's reasonably intelligent. He hasn't dealt well with pressure in the NFL, but he has all the physical tools you could look for. Gabbert's combine numbers are better than Manziel's and he would be in the discussion for top QB taken this year if he was coming out now (I don't think any QB's should be taken in the first half of the first round this year and Gabbert would fit right in as a late first round prospect before he fell apart in the NFL and showed he can't deal with pressure).
Originally posted by eastcoast49ersfan:
Originally posted by MC9BEAT:

What? He's probably going to go in the 3rd or 4th round and will definitely be drafted.

I think xcfan is too high on him - his pro day numbers in the vertical, 3 cone, and shuttle were significantly worse than Bortles' and his 40 time was in the 4.8's which is equivalent to Bortles' 4.93 at the combine. I honestly think Bortles is faster than his 40 time indicates and just had a couple bad 40's but he may not have the technique. Either way, he's clearly a better athlete than Gilbert if you look at the combine and pro day numbers or tape.

I'm not sure who I would take between McCarron and Gilbert - they seem to be pretty similar quarterbacks playing in very different situations. Similar size and athleticism, similar arm strength (Gilbert may have a slight edge here), McCarron may be a better decision maker, but teams are going to heavily discount his stats and wins because of his supporting cast.

I'm concerned that Gilbert put up poor stats throughout college against weak competition until this season. The two biggest name teams they played this year also had terrible defenses (Texas Tech and Texas A&M).

There is no way Gilbert is a better prospect than Gabbert was. Gabbert was productive his last 2 years of college compared to one for Gilbert, was younger coming out, and was a much better athlete. Gabbert had a ton of hype because he was a reasonably accurate QB with good size, pretty good arm strength, and outstanding athleticism. He also did very well on the Wonderlic so he's reasonably intelligent. He hasn't dealt well with pressure in the NFL, but he has all the physical tools you could look for. Gabbert's combine numbers are better than Manziel's and he would be in the discussion for top QB taken this year if he was coming out now (I don't think any QB's should be taken in the first half of the first round this year and Gabbert would fit right in as a late first round prospect before he fell apart in the NFL and showed he can't deal with pressure).

Combine numbers don't impress me when it comes to QB's. Once you have an NFL caliber arm it is all about decision making. In the NFL you make 10 times as many split second decisions as you do in college which is why so many great prospects fail at the QB position. I don't know what Gilbert's future will be but he has not impressed me so far. You really think Gilbert is a 3rd round pick in this draft? Maybe.

My guess is Drew Brees and Tom Brady and Peyton Manning would all suck in the 40 and the different drills at the combine.
I was more responding to the points xcfan made about Gilbert being a similar athlete to Bortes and pointing out that he's a worse athlete than Bortles and a much worse athlete than Gabbert. I agree that there are more important factors than combine numbers when evaluating QB's which is why I don't think Logan Thomas will be successful at the next level.

3rd round is a little high for Gilbert and I posted this after reading Gil Brandt liked Gilbert so much. 4th-5th is probably more realistic with a higher chance of him being taken in the 4th.

It seems like there could be a lot of QB's taken in the 3rd to 5th range and it will come down to the preference of teams.
  • xcfan
  • Veteran
because gilbert doesn't have a deep, consistently high quality resume, he'll be a day 3 draftee. but, he's one of those guys who may have a better nfl career than college career. my guess is 4th-6th rd.
  • xcfan
  • Veteran
as far as overall athleticism for a qb goes, 3-cone time is of little importance. tebow had a ridiculously good 3-cone.
comparing bortles and gilbert, you see similar stature and strength in the pocket. a qb needs a foundation to weather the abuse while making a play; gilbert can get knocked around while doing his job and remain unscathed.
one of the best so-called developmental guys in years.